Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just found a complete HKS turbo kit on a car in a junk yard. They gave me a reasonable price for everything including the intercooler. But what i was wondering is what should i make sure to get, besides the normal? Will i need the ECU or anything. My car is a 85 and the junk yard car with the turbo is a 83?

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
wow you found an HKS turbo setup at a junkyard? OMG why can't I have that luck, that's awesome! I think HKS discontinued that like 12 years ago, I wonder if anyone knows about them , I sure don't, I hope someone can help you out though, that surely is a gold discovery

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its a complete setup, nothing has been takin out of the motor except for the starter and the alt... I am going to buy it but don't want to leave anything important out that is needed

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HAHA i knew people would be offering me money for it. Yeah the turbo is in good working order. I "THINK" am gonna go ahead and put it on my car for the time being untill i either blow my motor or do a swap.. I will let you know what i choose to do... But i still might consider selling

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'll give you $450 for the kit if the turbo is in good working condition
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Hey Trybal, I suggest calling HKS. Someone there might know what the kit consisted of so you know what to take with you.

Christian

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not laughing at you. laughing cause i knew that someone would want to buy it. If i saw someone that found a deal like mine i would want to buy it too but i just predicted that someone would offer. Im just not sure if i want to sell it yet thats all... No hard feelings billyBRO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats another reason, can't treat it like its mine untill it is.... blah now if i wasn't so lazy to go pick it up

·
Registered
86 Posts
the kit your must get these items.
injectors, manifod and turbo duh, :D , down pipe and exhaust, intercooler, and piping, blow off valve, rise rate regulator if it has one drivers side crossmember under motor, oil lines, i think with the hks it had a little hose from the turbo to the map with a check valve in it. or it was to the mass meter, don't remember were it was suppose to go, but its for manifold pressure to block it from boost thats real important for the kit to work. wastegate if external. take a note pad and draw a rough draft of how everything was conected. back then it was all pretty sloppy setup before fuel mapping was perfected so computer wasn't affected only bypassed to allow for boost take the 02 sencor aswell just to be safe. i think thats all those things had in those days. don't remember but you can be assured its not like todays kits for cars thats probably the reason for its discontinuing. if i forgot anything people just add it in for him :wink:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
jbrody44 said:
Wasn't that actually a twin turbo kit? Or did they also make a single kit too?
there were both, but I think the Twin Turbo Kit is more of a rare kit

·
Registered
348 Posts
I tend to go overboard sometimes, but if it was me I would buy the whole car and keep it until I got he conversion done and my car running right. Then sell whats left back to the yard. The one thing that you don't take but need to finish the project will be gone when you go back to get it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i would consider buying the car but that would cost probably 1000 bucks and i just don't have that right now. I figuer since they said they would sell the whole kit if i forgot something i could go back and get it. There are a total of 3 or 4 celicasupras where i live so i don't think there will be a problem with someone stealing anything. and Thanks for the parts needed right up that will help me out

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
trybal,

go here: http://www.celicasupra.com/media86.htm

If the article looks a little fuzzy, talk to Malloy & see if he can make it a bit clearer. The article is about the twin setup, so make sure you read carefully.

If I'm looking at this correctly, their "SHOULD" be some "cockpit" electronics inside the interior!!! Hopefully it's all there, unless it's already been pillaged!!!!!

Here's a thought!!!! Buy the whole darn thing if it's possible!!!! Sure it will be a salvage title, but at least hopefully you'll be able to retrieve anything w/o worrying about anyone else taking a few items.

No, it's not the swiftest 5MGTE turbo setup in the world (Russ Matuesevich attested to this on the Yahoo list years ago), but from a historical/vintage "setup" standpoint, the HKS 5MGE turbo kits (both the single & the twin) to me, rank the same as the other aftermarket kits that were available from back in the day (HKS, Spearco, Cartech & 1 other kit that escapes my brain at the moment).

There are only 2 other peeps at the moment that still have HKS turbo kits in their MKII's, and that's Jake Reed in SoCal & Mike Rapp in Atlanta. Chad Zemer has his 82 Stage 2 Spearco kit in Michigan, Dave Anders still has bit's & pieces of the Spearco kit that was on his Dad's 84 that he's hoping to restore someday, and Phil Dupler is aware of someone that has a Cartech kit somewhere in Texas!!!

Do what you can to keep this rare find ALL INTACT!!!! If only I could be so lucky to find something like this, in a junkyard in WA State!!!!

NICE SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 8) :D

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In the back of one of my older Sport Compact Car mags, where they used to have that section on older production cars, they had one on the mk2. In there it said that Callaway made a modded turbo mk2. It didn't sell much, and therefore there were only 4 made. Don't know the validity of that, tho.

Christian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts