Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

chevy 350 swap

24K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  piggigily 
#1 ·
just got a 350 with a 700r4 behind it. what am i going to need to complete this swap¿

#2 ·
Research.....

#4 ·
One of them sticks from from the electric charger thread? Lol

#6 ·
:thumbsup:

Yes, big heavy iron headed pushrod American engines really don't belong in a fairly lightweight Japanese performance car. Especially not with a boring to drive American automatic tranny.

If your gonna go V-8 why not put in a 1UZ?

#10 ·
Yeah, an aluminum head small block doesnt weigh much more than a 5m. Theres been multiple postings of engine weights on this forum, check it out, guys. As to the OPs question-It all depends on what car your 350/700 came out of. There are many variations of both, and the actual combo of both together is rare in stock vehicles.

#11 ·
i agree that it doesnt belong nobody wants a chevota but its going to be torky. im having alot of trouble out of the 5m. plus it will definitely be a sleeper no one will expect it. not to mention that it has been sitting in the shop and very easy to work on. i know i will need a custom driveshaft. my main worry is the rear end.

#12 ·
How "torquey" do you want this car? And are you willing to do all that is necessary to maintain that torque? It will be completely useless if you just sit and spin all day.

As for the rear end you can get a Tru Track that will hold quite a bit of power/torque.

#14 ·
"OMG! No! Get a camaro instead. Screw putting an American motor into a Toyota! The car gods will not be pleased! This is blasphemy! Thou shalt not do an engine swap if the engine manufacturer isn't the same as the car it goes into!"....:wtf: I don't get why so many people think like this. There's no logic in trying to convince someone not to do an engine swap when the only reason you have is "it's not from the same manufacturer." :screwy:

#15 ·
Listen to yourselves.Let the man put what he wants in the damn car.I like the idea myself,rolled it around for some time before the 7m.I was going LS series,made more sense.A small block is still a great motor,cheap,easy to work on.....and who can deny the wicked sound of an agressive lope.Lumpity lump,lumpity lump!I so do it.Fuck all these Lemmings.

#19 ·
A small block chevy in a celica supra is different. :) My favorite build thread on this forum happens to be 82_in_Fl's Ls1/t56 swap. I'm very enthusiastic about seeing this project completed, and I'm sure there's several others in this forum that are as well. Remember, most people on here aren't as close minded as others. :p Everything doesn't have to be "jdm tyte yo" as some people may think. lol Good luck with the swap piggigily! Can't wait to see this completed! :badger:

#20 ·
I got your lemming right here Bob...

Some people want to keep it strictly Toyota, Some people don't. Price wise a sbc would be easy to build. A 700r4 can be built tough as well. Me personally, I like the straight 6. I saw an 85 with a 302 in it. Interesting swap. Just looked odd to me. Regardless of whats putting out the power, Ya throw some ponies in the car it will be fun. Lots of info on the forums. The swap can't require anything too crazy. Would be cool to see.

#28 ·
#30 ·
first... oil pan.. second... oil pan.. third.. headers.. Trust me i was on the same thing till i started doing mock up and i was going with a t5 which is the same size as the w58.. Its not worth it but the ford 302 is alot easier

#31 ·
honestly, for a gm v8, id do this

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...53l_gen_iii_small_block_for_3252/viewall.html

but id use 2 ebay 44mm tial copy wastegates(1 per cylinder bank), leave the inlet flange divided for a twin scroll setup and run a borg warner ett turbo(prolly the s366, or mabe even the s400), and plumb in one of the ebay i/c kits with 3in piping and a tial knockoff 50mm bov or 2. it would make more power and spool faster for about the same cash.

#33 ·
I still don't get it William, a JDM 2jz can be had for $1800 which is $200 cheaper than this motor. It provides more HP at the stock level until you can afford the chinese turbo in this article, and when you can get the chinese turbo will produce more HP on the 2jz than this Chevy motor will on the same turbo! Plus you get reliability and daily driver status with the 2jz, and also maintain the heart of Toyota, not to mention the swap costs are way cheaper.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but I do ot see how this is an attractive option.

- 2jz $200 cheaper and way less mileage
- 2jz provides more stock hp
- 2jz offers more aftermarket hp at a cheaper cost (good to 800 hp on stock internals)
- 2jz more reliable
- 2jz cheaper swap
- 2jz keeps weight balance
- 2jz keeps heart of toyota

I absolutely see no benefits going to GM, more money, less reliable, less HP, what am I not getting here? I do however find it a little akward that some of the american muscle car crowd are swapping Toyota 2JZ's into their Camaros, Mustangs and yes even Corvettes for added HP, but yet we have a few on these forums doing the opposite and adding Chevy or Ford motors to a japanese car thinking that they will actually be faster... :duh: :duh: :duh:

#35 ·
i think it is extremely attractive to swap in a domestic V8. i know you guys like to get all technical and nitpick all of the little things but when it comes down to it i am here because i love wrenching on my car. i like fun projects. i like to find things on my own to keep me busy out in my shop.

So, i own a welder, and an auto-shop and a whole bunch of metal tubing and a chevy 454 BB and an EXTRA mk2 thats rotting... who gives an EFF how much it weighs. i think stuffing it in would be a FUN afternoon with my buddies. i can get two used rear tires installed for about $15, can anybody spell burnout machine?

i guess what i am trying to say is that not every swap has to be practical. as long as the person doing it knows what they want and enjoys their project that is really all that matters. personally i think getting toasted and drifting a tubular frame stripped out BB mk-II in a parking lot would be a good afternoon.

^
and after all that, dont forget that i have one thats getting a 7mgte that hopefully will still go around corners. i dont ruin them ALL with my outrageous ideas, Just the extra ones :p

#36 ·
ihateu3...Let me jump on the same bus as you.You hate American motors in Jap cars,but you'll buy something that spins past 180k rpm's from China.You just hate.Says it in yer name.
Keeps wieght balance.These are nose heavy cars as is...
Swaps have been done longer than any one of us here have drawn a breath.I think its great your so passionate about keeping a Yota/Yota combo,but whatever makes a person smile,who are you to be DR.Buzz Killington?Fun is for fun.Whats yours for?

#38 ·
And too upperty to even attempt a non Toyota motor in their precious mk4. Pfft. I hate most mk4 owners, our present mk2 owners company accepted and those who respect the heritage. If it floats ur boat go for it regardless of opinions. It's what makes cars great. I personally don't like the idea, but fabricated right and done proper you will have fun which is the main thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.