Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw info about this on Friday. Looks to be a "24 Hour of LeMons" knock-off. Appears to include the same style of rules and racing concept. Anyone heard of this series before?

www.chumpcar.com

There's a race in March scheduled at Rockingham Speedway. Come on local NC and SC'ers. Let's roll!

Why is a #2 pencil yellow?
Scott

·
Registered
612 Posts
After reading the rules, this looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I would be very willing to throw down as a driver and financially to take part in this. I'm also a pretty good engineer and electrical guru. Just throwing my hat in the ring in case anybody else is thinking about this.

-John

Scott, I am all for it.

I can provide wrenching, tow vehicle, trailer, and driving skilz, and can chip in on the cost of the vehicle as well.

--billyM

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
27-28 March 2010
Pueblo Motorsports Park (Pueblo, CO)

5-6 June 2010
Brainerd International Raceway (Brainerd, MN)

19-20 June 2010
Texas Motor Speedway (Ft. Worth, TX)

26-27 June 2010
Iowa Speedway (Newton, IA)

7-8 August 2010
GingerMan Raceway (South Haven, MI)

28-29 August 2010
Hallett Motor Racing Circuit

etc etc.. seems like a lot of the events are in feasible driving distance.

doing it for sure! Any midwest guys want to put together a team? I have a few 2JZs that were less then $200 we could throw into a supra or something and have some fun :) I'm sure we could rally some sponsors too! PM me if you'd like to get in on this.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
After reading the rules, this looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I would be very willing to throw down as a driver and financially to take part in this. I'm also a pretty good engineer and electrical guru. Just throwing my hat in the ring in case anybody else is thinking about this.

-John
Hmmm... Interest in Charlotte and Atlanta. ...if only there were a city half-way between where members could meet, drink beer, and work on a project car. Oh wait!

I've got a trashed '83 celica with a locked supra rear-end that we can use, think we can come up with a motor for it?

--billyM

·
Registered
218 Posts
yea this looks interesting. if anyone is in michigan and wants to build a car i got a 89 mustang we can use just needs a put together.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Hmmm... Interest in Charlotte and Atlanta. ...if only there were a city half-way between where members could meet, drink beer, and work on a project car. Oh wait!

I've got a trashed '83 celica with a locked supra rear-end that we can use, think we can come up with a motor for it?

--billyM
I know where to get a few R series engines right now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
that sounds awesome, a bunch of beaters flying around

"Not including the required safety equipment, your car must be valued at less than $500."

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
From the way I read the rules anything you sell from the car you can "re-invest" back into it? does anyone else agree?

·
Registered
612 Posts
yup, I don't know if there is a limit to that, but that is what the rules say. Might be worth finding something with working AC or decent interior so you can get $$ for parts.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
I don't think you can bring the cost of the car below zero by selling parts, but that'd be a pretty easy thing to do. Lets start brainstorming this openly.

Idea 1: Use an available '83 GTS
Idea 2: Use some other car...

If 1, we will require a motor with balls.

Things of substantial cost that must be addressed

1: Tires (do we want to have fun or be competetive? Competetive = R comps. Fun = as many free stockers as we can find!)
2: Rollcage (I won't race wheel-to-wheel without a full cage with side intrusion protection, would buy mig and bender to build if needed.)
3: Seat/Harness (These won't be so much expensive as they will need to be adjusted depending on who wants to drive it.)

--billyM

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am fine using the GTS, but I do see a problem trying to show its value. We can't just say its worth $0 since you already had it, and its hard to value it without bias since I would want more money to fix up the suspension. The rules state you need paperwork to show the value of your car. Unless you bought it for less than $500, I don't know how we could prove anything.

As far as money goes, I think each person should provide (or pledge) money up front. IE if 3 people do it, each puts in $1000 and then we have a open budget and decide how to use it (type of tires, etc) and leftover is split evenly.

There needs to be at least one drinking/brain storming session, in person always works well if it can be managed. I have a lot of ideas but am not going to write them all down. Chumpcar summit anyone?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wish we had stuff like this around here, the $50 supra I just bought would be a killer start.

Edit: I spoke too soon, it's still not close but they do have a Canadian race scheduled.

Maybe it's time to start putting together a team!

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
March is out of the question for me, too darn soon. ...but there is an August event at Roebling Road in Savannah GA (4hrs from ATL, Greenville, Charlotte)

John, I believe the title reflects a $100 purchase price. It has a good w58 and 22re in it as well.

I'm going to start a thread specifically for the Aug. Roebling Rd. race to drum up interest/drivers/ideas. I would be more than happy to hold a chumpcar summit, or could easily travel to do so.

--BillyM

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Billy, plenty of power can be had from a 22R I know of many that have 200 plus easy. Also, the Lemon Races are sometimes on dirt so tires may not be that big of a deal. Usually safety equipment isn't part of the price cap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts