Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20 gallon parts washer from Harbor Freight Tools at their big sidewalk sale today. Instructions say not to use flammable solvents. I'm also concerned about odor and fumes - don't want to stink up the garage. To anyone who's used one of these things before, what type of solution/solvent do y'all recommend? And just so there's some supra content, I will mainly be cleaning mk2 parts of course. :wink:

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
See, if there was a tools forum, this wouldn't be an issue... :wink:

How much did it run you Phil, I am about to start looking for one myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
I use mineral spirits solvent in mine, which is pretty common. It has fumes, they aren't horrible though. Just leave a door open. Of course what solvent doesn't have any fumes? The only other common one used is some kind of citrus based cleaner, I've only heard of it though. You might see if there is a local Safety Klean near you. If it is automotive chemical they have it all. BTW, the parts washer is one of the best investments you can make. They are so darned handy and useful. Reasonably priced too when Harbor Freight has them on sale in the $50-60 range. They had some really good deals today when I was there. I picked up an auto darkening welding helmet for $60 for dads day.

·
Founding Member
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was on sale today $69.99, regularly $99.99. Its cheap because of the "some assembly required" and "made in China". :wink: Sale price I think runs through next weekend at least at the Fort Worth store. Hopefully the same where you are at.

Phil D

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Kerosene works well in a parts washer, but Kerosene is also flammable and not very kind to the environment. :? The Orange citrus based stuff would probably work well if you had some means of heating it slightly to make it work better and it washes off with water. That price is a steal! I would rush out and snag one but I don't have a garage yet. Besides, my neighbors would probably all take turns wondering where I got the new fountain! LOL!!! Ahh, the joys of living amongst the stone age crowd! :roll:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Refill bottles of Orange Blast were on sale at Super Wal-Mart for $1.00 a bottle, regular $3.89 a bottle. A friend of mine and I hit the shelves at just the right time and bought as many bottles as we could handle. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know if it is good for a parts washing system, but Castrol super clean works great for manual cleaning purposes and is biodegradable. I think the gallons go for around $5.50 at wal-mart.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Don't forget to wear chemical resistant gloves and eye protection! BTW, does this parts washer have a good pump with a filter? Hmmm.... sounds like I missed out on a good deal! Oh well, maybe next time around. :)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i made a parts washer with a friend once...

go to an aquarium supply place, or if your near one, princess automotive, and get a pump for about 20-50 bucks, then find a big metal sink, and some pvc piping.

i think ours cost about 60 bucks all told, which sounds costly for something home made, but ours was also 3x3 feet, and could spray solvent 25 feet, at full power.

we could have went with a normal size sink, and less sturdy supports (itll hold an engine easily) and a less powerful pump, and probably we would have saved 20 bucks.

also, these prices are canadian dollars... :D

so, if you need to wash large parts, this might be your best solution, along with getting to know guys at a car wash who will let you wash down an engine or tranny in their premises.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dave A. said:
Refill bottles of Orange Blast were on sale at Super Wal-Mart for $1.00 a bottle, regular $3.89 a bottle. A friend of mine and I hit the shelves at just the right time and bought as many bottles as we could handle. :D
That's a smokin' deal!! I've seen the shelves stocked with that and always waiting for a sale... I use orange based cleaners for lots of things - they work great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts