Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wish I could see them on a car, I can't decide if I like the smoked or the clear better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pm sent on some of the mis-cast ones

·
Registered
167 Posts
Payment sent for mis-cast sets 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 & 11

Thanks Jason.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's perfect, virtually the same color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Klearz, you think you can do it on a red mk2? The clear, smoked, and amber euro style? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Yes, he sells the lenses only - you have to mount them in housings that you provide. A Dremel tool works great for cutting out the old lens. Of course you destroy the old lens getting them out of the housing assembly. You're probably best off if you can find a couple old turnsignal assemblies in a junk yard for a few bucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Actually, removing the old lens on these is even easier than the dremel. If you preheat your oven to about 170F and then stick the lenses in there for about 10 minutes, you can easily pry the old lens off with a flat head screw driver. Again be SURE to preheat the oven first, don't just throw the lenses in and then turn the oven on to 170 or you will melt them. The oven elements get super hot while it is reaching the temperature setting. Also put them on the top rack just to keep them far away from the bottom element.

One last note,.... don't let the wife know what you are using the oven for :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
a pot of water is easier imo.
I've never thought about or tried the pot of water. Thats an interesting way of doing it. I'll have to give that a shit with a smaller set of lenses.

7mgt-66e... yes they are still available and turning out pretty nice. I just made a new set of smoked amber's for Alex. I'll post up pics of them tomorrow so you ya'll can see what the quality is like at this point in the mold's life.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
I tried a pot of water - it warped the plastic and the chrome came off the reflector inside of the housing and ended up leaving a white film on the inside of the pot and now my chili tastes funny.
That's why I used a Dremel on the next set.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I tried a pot of water - it warped the plastic and the chrome came off the reflector inside of the housing and ended up leaving a white film on the inside of the pot and now my chili tastes funny.
That's why I used a Dremel on the next set.
Ouch, thats not good. I've never had a problem with my oven method, but I know LOTS of people who HAVE melted headlights, taillights, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Here is a pic of the most recently casted two sets of turn signals. I'm amazed at how well these molds are holding up. I have to give each set and extra 20 minutes of dremel work to clean up the mounting edges and then buffing the surface before shipment. The are still turning out really nice though as you can see from the pics below.

Alex's replacement smoked amber lenses.

New product sample, Smoke Fives. Clear lenses with about 5% black tint to just barely take the bright clear glare away.

141 - 160 of 170 Posts