Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 106 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
I would be very interested! Any luck in getting a scoop?? I would be willing to pay extra for a scoop on my hood, just let me know! if not thats alright too!

As they say, anything is possible, just take an appropriate amount of $$ :)

Actually, Advan is developing some styles of vents for the CF Hoods (not just ours, but an option for any hood). They would install it onto the CF Hood, and charge accordingly. I have no clue how much the vent might cost. Personaly not a big fan of vents on the hood, but with a turbo now I might reconsider cuz I like the idea of dissipating heat, especially on the exhaust side. Still, its a personal choice, so if Advan offers vents, or even a scoop, that can be an additional charge that the buyer can work out per each hood. I will ask them about scoops too.

They surprised me today with the vent option, but if there are buyers that would like a vented hood, and the design is acceptable, that great with me.

Here is a sample design they came up with, and they will be coming up with 4-5 more styles in the new few weeks.

Obviously not on a Supra hood, but just to get an idea...

Don L.

The OEM style carbon fiber hood came out great, but I think it's a bad idea to add those kind of vents to it. Those vents look cheap and ugly. They look almost as bad as those stick on hood scoops from Autozone. If a vented hood is a possibility, I think it would be best to have the vents built in as opposed to adding it later on and make it similar to the one in the following picture.

^what that guy said.

Look extremely tacky and stick on auto-zone brand. I've always wanted the triple vents on the side, but at this point I really no longer care. Having ANY option for a CF or FG hood for our Supras is a grace and I for one, wil not be picky about the OEM style. It's definitely 100x better than my 45 lb, dented, rusted and faded stock one lol

Discussion starter · #86 ·
The CF Hood that I am coordinating will be oem style. The vents are just an option for buyers to have installed if wanted, individually.
We still need to test the first CF hood. I know everyone's tastes for style vary, just wanted to share what the manuf may be offering.

Don L.

Discussion starter · #92 ·
No pics of underside at the moment, will try to get some. My understanding is the underside has same shape/pattern as stock. Mold made from stock oem hood.

Don L.

Yeah I saw a member here, dont remember his name, that had just a little scoop in the front. Nothing to drastic, just simple clean and functional ya know! and if not the 3 scoops on the side I would be down to buy too :) Just lemme know!

Discussion starter · #95 ·
Yeah I saw a member here, dont remember his name, that had just a little scoop in the front. Nothing to drastic, just simple clean and functional ya know! and if not the 3 scoops on the side I would be down to buy too :) Just lemme know!
Would you be referring to a small forward facing hood scoop? Like the CF Hoods in the old group buy that Suprafiend has? Here's a pic I believe from Suprafiends gallery:

If that is the type of scoop you are referring to, I think it looks well integrated because it was part of the mold (I'm guessing). In my group project, likely any vents or scoops would be retrofit. Seems there are definitely some strong opinions on the appearance of a retrofit anything, but the costs of a well integrated design into the original mold would be just too costly. A personal choice, but each buyer can arrange to have a vent added to the CF Hood, post production. I haven't decided if I would get a vent added, will wait to see what designs are available. Lots of heat from the turbo side of the motor, and a vent would be nice, but a turbo blanket does a nice job of insulation too.

Don L.

The OEM style carbon fiber hood came out great, but I think it's a bad idea to add those kind of vents to it. Those vents look cheap and ugly. They look almost as bad as those stick on hood scoops from Autozone. If a vented hood is a possibility, I think it would be best to have the vents built in as opposed to adding it later on and make it similar to the one in the following picture.
I will pay EXTRA for the vents like this. I am not a fan of the other style of vents posted.

Discussion starter · #99 ·
Good to get the feedback regarding add-on vent styles. All good. Please keep in mind that the hood I am organizing the production and buy will be a OEM style, no vents, no scoops. Each buyer, at their own decision, can request from the manuf to have a vent (of some style) added on to their individual hood, not something I am part of. Its nice to just have the option, everyone has individual tastes, and the basic hood is what I have presented.

Any other design (other than OEM) that will come out of a mold would require massive amounts of additional money invested and time. I like the built-in vent style on each side too, but realized that not everyone would, and that for this project to be successful I needed sales numbers and reasonable costs.
Thus the decision to go OEM style, with all due respect to the other styles seen on the forums. Folks are free to modify their hoods as desired after purchase, I might too, but that's after the fact.

Happy T-day all! Probably won't get to test fit the hood till after Thanksgiving, just kinda caught up in bunch of stuff.

Don L.

I'm actually getting too much underhood pressure from the front facing scoop in my CFX hood, which is why I want to try an unscooped one from this GB. The back facing vents (either style) are a much better idea.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.