Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
421 - 440 of 470 Posts
I've got the drawing sent to the waterjet place. I'm having one panel made to test fit and if all is well this will be a go.

Before I start a new thread, I will get with Malloy and make sure all my ducks are in a row.
I know the last GB didn't turn out very well, so I want everybody to feel assured that all will go well.

hardest part will be finding a suitable way to ship to ensure no bending/damaging panels, while still keeping the weight and size down to keep shipping cheap. but i'd just charge more for shipping, i'm sure most people would be willing to pay the extra to make sure its not damaged in shipping, and it will save you from needing to recut any panels if they are damaged badly enough.
I'm glad someones remaking these, worth every cent no matter what they cost IMO.

I agree, charge more for shipping. A suggestion for shipping, would be get plywood and cut it a little larger than the piece, should suffice for strength.

Mark,

For shipping "1", this reinforcement method should work. In some other "cases", it may not be needed at all. 1 good example, is if you have multiple panels being sent to 1 location for several peeps.

Example was those of us in the Seattle, WA area. Only 3 of us bought some in the original GP (Myself, DJ France (Supradude117), and Shawn (you know, that OMD guy). Barry sent I believe 3 - 4 of them to 1 address (DJ's house) & they came out fine. Most likely because the multiple copies kept them from bending. But yes, I did remember reading about multiple horror stories of individuals that ordered "1" & they arrived bent. And getting them replaced became a bigger headache.

I've been thinking about what shipping method to use (mine was bent when I got it)and have been leaning toward the paneling method. Although if more than one is shipped to the same addy then it shouldn't be needed. I will be getting insurance on them and may ship out a few at first to see how they turn out. But first I have to get one made to check fitment. They have the program, just waiting on them to make one.

Mark

I finally got the panel back today. Fits good on my car (an 85) I also have an 84 and my daughter has an 86 that I want to try it on...just to make sure of fitment. I will post pics this weekend.

PMed Malloy on the 19th about this GB, with no reply yet. In the meantime I will try to figure out shipping. Maybe I can get this going before to long.

I like mine thats for sure. I ended up with mine as part of a group shipped to SupraFiend in Canada and then shipped to me along with a door panel and fan shroud here in Oregon. I think but have no evidence that it does improve cooling as well as looking good and providing a nice place to put your tools. It also gets rid of the plastic cover over the ac fan that always seems to get broken or in the way. . With no fan shroud and the MKIII 7 blade fan it's been cooling just fine.

I think that shipping them together seems to help in the shipping if at all possible.

will

I would think the simplest shipping method would be just to have a UPS Store package and ship them. They handle all the liability and if you use the same store for each shipment they'll package all of them the same. I would assume that bubble wrap and packing peanuts would do the job just fine. Especially if you tell them how yours was previously packaged and arrived bent. Am looking forward to getting a couple myself.

Header panel shipping-Fed ex or USPS?

I would suggest that multiple panels be shipped at the same time as suggested. NO peanuts,please.I don't like UPS as I see that their employees are always in a big-ass hurry. Fed ex or USPS is fine for me.Insurance always.

Installed the panel on 3 diff years, 84,85, and 86. It fit the same on all three.

On the 84 parts car

On my 85

On my daughters 86

With the headlights up...no problem with rubbing

fits nicely on all three... I guess 82 and 83s are the same. If someone knows they can chime in.

Does it move with the lights up? Meaning when you corner does it slide under the lights?

Some one had a problem with it on the last set.

Does it move with the lights up? Meaning when you corner does it slide under the lights?

I haven't done anything to mine yet, but I think you would want to mount it somehow to keep it from sliding or vibrating while driving around.

thats because permenant mounting was left to the individuals, since a lot of people wanted different mounting methods. i bolted mine to the piece behind the hood latch, worked good, easy to remove, no chance to move at all.

OK.... I'm tired of waiting on the approval for a group buy. I'm going to place this in the for sale section and sale them there. I'll have 18 to sale for the first round. Going this way the price will be $60.00 + shipping. I have not had these made yet but with enough interest I should be able to get the order in next week. If you want one PM me and we'll go from there.

Thanks, Mark

421 - 440 of 470 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.