Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[CLOSED] New run of aluminum rads for MKII, Celica GT/GTS, and

12K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  82mk2 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys and gals,
I'm currently in communication with a new manufacturer to produce aluminum rads for our cars again. We had a great response to the Griffin rad GB, twice, and I think there are still some of you who missed out. I hope to keep the design close to the original, but will also investigate an stamped tank option to the hand welded tanks in the interest of keeping costs down. I would like to hit a price point below that of the last Griffin GB, but for now, let's just see how many of you are interested. Ideally, I would like to hit a sub $400 shipped price.
Please post up if you are SERIOUSLY interested as your response will dictate whether or not this proceeds.

...and I'll add your name to the following list, (which may result in you being hounded by me when the time comes - lol) I cannot proceed unless I know this is viable - otherwise, it is a waste of many people's time. Thanks.

INTERESTED PARTIES

global
suprafastcelica
sowsley
5M Rob
Guido
Oldschool85
1982 Dragon

See less See more
#2 ·
Guys and gals,
I'm currently in communication with a new manufacturer to produce aluminum rads for our cars again. We had a great response to the Griffin rad GB, twice, and I think there are still some of you who missed out. I hope to keep the design close to the original, but will also investigate an stamped tank option to the hand welded tanks in the interest of keeping costs down. I would like to hit a price point below that of the last Griffin GB, but for now, let's just see how many of you are interested. Ideally, I would like to hit a sub $400 shipped price.
Please post up if you are SERIOUSLY interested as your response will dictate whether or not this proceeds.
Global- Very Interested! Will your twin fan setup be compatible with this? (if you still have any!)

#4 ·
I would like for you to hit a sub $400 shipped price too.

#6 ·
why get a new mfg? is griffen out of business or something?

#7 ·
No. :)
They are still ava from Griffin (through my good firned George at Raptor Racing) but definitely not at a price remotely close to the GB pricing I secured. I wanted to produce more after the second run of 50, but the last time I contacted them to run these in quantity, they essentially told me they were not interested in doing business anymore, despite the qty runs as opposed to the one offs that they are currently doing (I assume). For the number they produce in one run (<100) it was at a loss for them, (or so I was told) despite the ever soaring cost. Perhaps it is due to the changes that I wanted implemented to the design as per many buyers' requests.
I want to make some changes, control the production completely, and work with a new mfr.
Change is good. I will also offer a pkge with my fan kit (which is CAD designed/mfd) so keep an eye out for that. They are still ava separately BTW, and I'm preparing another run shortly.

#8 ·
i have to ask i bought one of the griffin rad and if we could change a few things about it i would buy another one. what i would like to see would be a bigger rad but to fit in the same spot because i have a 2jz with the twin fans and they have a hard time keeping up and i wanted to stay twin fans but there is not alot of room between the fans and motor so mabye a wider rad? just wanted to ask and see what could we do help this set up thanks

#9 ·
hard to beat a $200 ebay aluminum radiator and stock mechanical fan for cooling. good luck. if the price comes in cheap enough i might be in for one, and by that i mean less than $250 shipped for a perfect fit radiator. prolly not gonna happen so i dont figure ill be on the list.

#20 ·
Lotta Q's there - I'll try to answer them all. These will be made overseas, and as such, I will be the warranty control dude. I won't bother with in tank tranny coolers for the auto though - Joe is right about using an external unit for that. The point of me looking into this is the fact that not everyone can afford the Griffin now, and in these tough times, it's hard to be a car guy on a budget.
The new rad will be a direct fit with the OEM shroud or the Adrenaline Motorsports fan kit.
The core is not likely going to change in thickness due to the close proximity to the pulleys, allowing for fan mounting as well. Making it wider is not really an option at all w/o making the shroud fitment wrong.
Trim would be great to have, and w/o letting the cat out, that is being worked on....

#21 ·
^^ Good. That stuff will sell like hot cakes.
Try and make all of it... lol. Body moldings (I'm in desperate need) and that belt trim that goes against the glass windows... (mine is dried up and starting to go).

#23 ·
I am potentially in. I'm in eventual need of a new radiator and a direct fit would be great.

#28 ·
So the Griffin's have been developing leaks have they? Not suprising since they use the stock mounts, which were designed for copper rads. Aluminum rads have to be electrically isolated from the body, or they will eventually rot out from electroylsis. Those of you with them, I would put some rubber spacers between the upper mounting ears and then enlargen the bolt holes on the rad and run a bolt setup with rubber isolators that insultates the bolts from the rad. Phil, might want to take this into consideration for the new ones. Maybe premade isolators and some delrin fastners or something to attach them?

#29 ·
I doubt there is electrolysis issues with them. That would require a connection from aluminum to regular water to metal to occur. The rad won't rust from being bolted to the body. That is the same as the timing cover, it is bolted to the block. Plus if you use a coolant and distilled water, there should be no/little corrosion at all.

#30 ·
Well it works very similar to electroylsis, I forgot the chemical term for it it. Its the law of dissimilar metals, which can cause galvanic corrosion to occur if you have 2 metals touching each other and an electrical connection between them (and of course the body is the ground path in a car). I won't pretend to be a chemist, someone much better at chemistry pointed this out to me once, but see here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Check out any vehicle that comes with an aluminum rad from the factory, and the rad will always be electrically isolated from the body with the stock mounting system.

#31 ·
Damn, that would have been some great info to know before the initial install of the Griffin years ago. Mine began leaking at several locations along the joint line between the tank and the core where they used some form of sealent/epoxy. From talking with others at various Supra meets, MANY people who purchased these Griffin rads have had similar issues. It seemed mine lasted a lil longer than most, too. The coolant was always 50/50 Toyota red and distilled H2O with a bottle of Water Wetter. Have been back to running a stock rad for the last 1.5 years.

Good info to take into consideration for future aluminum rads - even if it's a non-issue. Better safe than sorry...again.

Wet behind the ears.
Scott

#35 ·
Scott, I strongly encourage you to get on Griffin about the leak, same with anyone who has that problem. I've seen one or two myself, and it really pisses me off that this wasn't an isolated incident. I would be all over it like a bad smell myself, however, Griffin wants nothing to do with me as I assume they equate my name with money they didn't make on the time they spent making these rads for us. They would not sell me anymore, nor return my calls so I gave up. I think if enough people pipe up and confront them for warranty they will realize there was an issue. As far as the new source of rads, I have made zero progress as I'm directing energy toward a new career in home renovation since I can't keep my hands busy enough otherwise! lol Please post up in the Griffin rad thread about any progress with warranty, and I believe George at Raptor may be able to assist as he has been able to buy the rads from Griffin still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.