Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
^^ Good. That stuff will sell like hot cakes.
Try and make all of it... lol. Body moldings (I'm in desperate need) and that belt trim that goes against the glass windows... (mine is dried up and starting to go).

I am potentially in. I'm in eventual need of a new radiator and a direct fit would be great.

My car was running hot at the track. I'm interested, but I'm concerned about the quality as it's coming from overseas. I'm assuming it's on par with Godspeed and other ebay brands.

hard to beat a $200 ebay aluminum radiator and stock mechanical fan for cooling. good luck. if the price comes in cheap enough i might be in for one, and by that i mean less than $250 shipped for a perfect fit radiator. prolly not gonna happen so i dont figure ill be on the list.
Why post something that has not one bit of relevance to Phil’s actual product offering?

As for me, Phil, I’ll put my name out there to be on the list. My Griffin rad took a leak 2 years ago, same as so many stories from what I hear. I’d be up for one, possibly two – for the ’83 and ’86.

Piss test.
Scott

So the Griffin's have been developing leaks have they? Not suprising since they use the stock mounts, which were designed for copper rads. Aluminum rads have to be electrically isolated from the body, or they will eventually rot out from electroylsis. Those of you with them, I would put some rubber spacers between the upper mounting ears and then enlargen the bolt holes on the rad and run a bolt setup with rubber isolators that insultates the bolts from the rad. Phil, might want to take this into consideration for the new ones. Maybe premade isolators and some delrin fastners or something to attach them?

So the Griffin's have been developing leaks have they? Not suprising since they use the stock mounts, which were designed for copper rads. Aluminum rads have to be electrically isolated from the body, or they will eventually rot out from electroylsis. Those of you with them, I would put some rubber spacers between the upper mounting ears and then enlargen the bolt holes on the rad and run a bolt setup with rubber isolators that insultates the bolts from the rad. Phil, might want to take this into consideration for the new ones. Maybe premade isolators and some delrin fastners or something to attach them?
I doubt there is electrolysis issues with them. That would require a connection from aluminum to regular water to metal to occur. The rad won't rust from being bolted to the body. That is the same as the timing cover, it is bolted to the block. Plus if you use a coolant and distilled water, there should be no/little corrosion at all.

Well it works very similar to electroylsis, I forgot the chemical term for it it. Its the law of dissimilar metals, which can cause galvanic corrosion to occur if you have 2 metals touching each other and an electrical connection between them (and of course the body is the ground path in a car). I won't pretend to be a chemist, someone much better at chemistry pointed this out to me once, but see here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Check out any vehicle that comes with an aluminum rad from the factory, and the rad will always be electrically isolated from the body with the stock mounting system.

Damn, that would have been some great info to know before the initial install of the Griffin years ago. Mine began leaking at several locations along the joint line between the tank and the core where they used some form of sealent/epoxy. From talking with others at various Supra meets, MANY people who purchased these Griffin rads have had similar issues. It seemed mine lasted a lil longer than most, too. The coolant was always 50/50 Toyota red and distilled H2O with a bottle of Water Wetter. Have been back to running a stock rad for the last 1.5 years.

Good info to take into consideration for future aluminum rads - even if it's a non-issue. Better safe than sorry...again.

Wet behind the ears.
Scott

Its probably not a sealant but an actual weld thats corroding. Welds generaly rust out first. I have a fluidyne that leaks at the base of some of the core tubes, previous owner must have had it connected to the body electrically somehow as the mk3's have rubber isolators

Good info Seamus.

I've been running my Griffin rad since the first GB and no issues other than the cap not fitting well and its general kinda lopsidedness (love that quaint, hand-made character!). My grounds are solid and many so perhaps that has helped some.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Damn, that would have been some great info to know before the initial install of the Griffin years ago. Mine began leaking at several locations along the joint line between the tank and the core where they used some form of sealent/epoxy. From talking with others at various Supra meets, MANY people who purchased these Griffin rads have had similar issues. It seemed mine lasted a lil longer than most, too. The coolant was always 50/50 Toyota red and distilled H2O with a bottle of Water Wetter. Have been back to running a stock rad for the last 1.5 years.

Good info to take into consideration for future aluminum rads - even if it's a non-issue. Better safe than sorry...again.

Wet behind the ears.
Scott
Scott, I strongly encourage you to get on Griffin about the leak, same with anyone who has that problem. I've seen one or two myself, and it really pisses me off that this wasn't an isolated incident. I would be all over it like a bad smell myself, however, Griffin wants nothing to do with me as I assume they equate my name with money they didn't make on the time they spent making these rads for us. They would not sell me anymore, nor return my calls so I gave up. I think if enough people pipe up and confront them for warranty they will realize there was an issue. As far as the new source of rads, I have made zero progress as I'm directing energy toward a new career in home renovation since I can't keep my hands busy enough otherwise! lol Please post up in the Griffin rad thread about any progress with warranty, and I believe George at Raptor may be able to assist as he has been able to buy the rads from Griffin still.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Any updates on this? Are they available and with the electric fans?
No progress on the rads, but I have the fan kits in stock, and you are only 45min away from here! Email me for details.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.