Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been a member of this site for a number of years and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. It has been frustrating and a love affair all in one. One thing that I always enjoyed were the write-ups of proud supra owners from their purchase to a road-worthy work of art. For those that are interested, this is my story, both worthy and troubling at the same time. Ultimately, this thread will discuss progress (that I hope to continue to update as improvements are made) and to let you know more about the people I have had dealings with so that it could help other forum members here. So many others have been helpful and I desire to contribute in my own way.

This is my 1982 L-Type supra given to me by family upon graduation. It is in pretty rough shape as you can tell.

I previously owned a 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS V6 and had restored it for shows and was ready to autoX and then the supra fell in my lap….MX-3 or Supra? Geeeee….this is a no-brainer (Besides, the MX-3 was getting a bit ricey for me).

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I moved to Cleveland, OH. Being a recent graduate, I had insufficient funds to begin my restoration. However, there was a radio station contest held by 100.7 WMMS called, “Rock Your Ride.” Can you believe it…I WON! This gave the supra the shot in the arm that it needed. I was able to have the rust removed, a new paint job

interior restoration

(now going with a carbon fiber seat texture with black highlights along with the Maroon leather interior), a complete sound system upgrade with an in-dash DVD unit

alarm system, and new wheels and tires.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now before we continue, I must add that I have already received quite a big lashing for the wheels guys…(Check this thread: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=29925&page=3)

I only had FWD rims to choose from (I know…I didn’t make the rules here) so I got the best ones he had in stock. Believe me, this will be changed as soon as I can stretch the money. I have started a thread to assist us L-type owners with options for wheels. Not much love thus far but hoping (Thread: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=47509) I have added spacers to make them look as good as possible for now.

Introduce Robert from 935 Motorsports, where I purchased Eibach coil-over front kit and ST springs in the rear. He was very patient and helpful and provided a great product and timely shipping. I highly recommend supporting this vendor.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This project was supposed to allow the supra to be featured in Cleveland on billboards and a backdrop for WMMS contests and models…wow wouldn’t that have been cool. But thanks to poor planning and management by Hellraizin’ Audio, that never was an option as it took him 2 years just to get the improvements completed before I moved back to WV. It was nice, however, to have 3 offers to purchase the supra before I got it home…you have to take the back ways and cruise around a bit, of course!

Time to head for home!

When I got the car home, it was all about getting it ready for a swap. I purchased the front and rear sway bars off of EBay for a great price and then found a member selling version 1 of the LJM front strut bar who supplied the product very quickly (stevrock). The rear strut bar was purchased from Wes
(Thread: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=37447).
I am sure that he is a nice guy, but I had a horrible time trying to communicate with him. If you do not need products in a hurry, feel free to order. Once the item arrived, it was top quality and fit perfectly. With a now decent suspension, I needed to make sure that the ride would stop fast so I purchased the BBK hardware and rotors from Suprajayaz, a very nice guy that helped me understand what it would take to get this completed. I then had some dealings with George at Raptor racing. I got the tail-end of a group buy for calipers and braided brake lines. It took a bit of time (as group buys do) but George came through with flying colors getting me all setup. I installed the front kit

and then purchased oem rear calipers, brembo rotors for rear and replaced all pads including the brake shoes.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Along the way, I acquired some interior pieces from Bob Shapton during his part-out to better accent the trunk in black. We had at least 3 transactions and all were smooth as silk. He is an excellent seller. I was also collecting parts for my swap and gaining knowledge from DangerousKen. He has a wealth of knowledge and I purchased a diff from him with 3.73 gears.

My 5M is very tired.

It was at this point that I had to rev the tired 5M to keep it running and letting it smoke until it warmed up…so I put some ‘feelers’ on the forum for anyone interested in helping with a swap. I decided that 1JZ was the way to go for me. Aaron at Driftmotion had convinced me to go this route quite some time ago. Discussions with Junkie and Norbie proved to be very helpful as they have many pearls of wisdom. MrTechNic provided the motor mounts for the 1JZ conversion (Thanks for making my life much easier!).

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In October 2008, I was contacted by Leon Wilson (Lee_MA61) trying to start a company called Random House Racing

(This thread: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=43117).

He had offered to perform the swap for a flat fee if I covered parts. Shortly thereafter, we went into contract and I transported my supra from WV to IA (Wow, what a drive!). Leon bragged how he could get the swap done in one month (actually he said 3 weeks!) but I knew better from reading this forum. Being very understanding, I told him to take his time and get it done right the first time so that I would not have any major events with this swap. He seemed knowledgeable and that is what I needed since I am unable to complete the wiring on a project of this nature.

I sourced a chaser 1JZ from the internet, purchased a couple thousand dollars in parts from Aaron at Driftmotion to get started, and unloaded the car in Iowa. I was told that teardown went smoothly as he had it removed and was cleaning the bay before I made it home from the trip!

As the 1JZ was getting evaluated, I got a fateful call…seems as if the previous Japanese owner had run this car hard enough to fry the turbos. Oh no! Leon said that if I wanted to rebuild these, it would be possible but I could upgrade for about the same price and have more HP, it would just take him a bit longer. OK….let’s get more horses!! Since starting this swap, Armin (pitula) has been very helpful! He has saved me money and given many words of encouragement. A special thanks goes out for all his help. When he was in the market for a turbo for his 1JZ, he offered one to me as well….well who could say no to a turbo capable of making 700 horses?!?

Enter the beast:

Here is the upgrade plan:
• Precision Turbo 6262A
• SARD 800cc injectors
• Greddy Emanage Ultimate Piggyback management
• Aeromotive AFPR Kit
• Single turbo manifold
• AEM goost gauge and UEGO meters
• HKS Turbo timer
• HKS Super SQV
• Fuel Pump upgrade
• 3" turbo back exhaust

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Once we got this underway, the block was dropped off to a shop to get a real bath

and start to get assembled…and getting into its new home

Here are some other close-ups of the bay getting put together:
Intake side:

Exhaust side:

The turbo:

A HKS turbo timer cunningly installed:

And the fuel pump:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is where the story gets interesting. After promising the car would be ready 2 other times, he swore that it would be ready this time.

At this point, I will only hit the highlights as it would be a small novel just to get you all the details of what was discussed and promised in this build. When Leon was contacted on June 11, 2009 he was asked if the vehicle was ready to be picked up. His response was that everything was ready except for the drive shaft. I called the shop and paid for this item myself, directly to the machine shop. I called again and received word that the car was ready once the drive shaft was installed. I then started on the 1,686 mile round trip to pick-up my supra.

What do I find when I get there?

Shots from front and sides:

Tial Wastegate

YES! WhoooHoooo. It looks amazing!

I am stoked…then I get, “there have been some issues.” Issues? What do you mean issues?

Now I know that many of you will be laughing reading this list, but imagine driving over 800 miles to get a so-called completed car, only to find that these items are not completed:

1. Power steering lines not run
2. A/C lines not fabbed and connected
3. No blow-off valve installed
4. Tachometer does not work
5. Water temp gauge does not work
6. Power wire to the audio system was removed and not fixed after the swap, audio components loose and hanging out of the dash
7. Exhaust system is loose and banging/scraping the ground with every bump

The car did not idle well, and died twice on my test drive requiring a jump and better securing of the coil packs. I went to SEARS and purchased another battery to assist in the test runs. It does not idle well and will stall not allowing the turbo timer to run the car long enough to cool the turbo unless the engine is really warm...as you can imagine my test drives did not last very long. And it is running with a whopping 8 psi of boost!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have taken about 100 pictures of this car upon return. Once I pushed it in the garage, we got each end on a set of jacks and looked it over. Here are some pics from the job.

I welcome comments and ways to fix these issues.

The radiator was mounted in the car crooked and held in by only 1 of two brackets…here is one that is doing a great job!

and the upper radiator mounts were flimsy pop can material...yes i am pulling it loose with two fingers.

I purchased a radiator fan and sent it to him for installation…

and the lower mount?

Yep! MASKING TAPE! WOW, what a great idea!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, on to the exhaust system. I will tell you that I paid $600 for a turbo back exhaust system on this car…and he charged me for the muffler, and did not include a catalytic converter (which would have made this car street legal in my state...which we discussed.)

Seems ok, minus the muffler tips…take a closer look.

Check out the welds and the bends here. Is there any wonder it bangs against the differential?!?

Here is where the power steering should be threaded I believe:

Some of these connections, I do not understand...

The pump pulley is connected and he put over 150 miles on the car without having this system functional. I hope the power steering pump will still work once I get lines to fit.

This line looks frayed and cross-threaded.
Anyone agree?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Someone please tell me, should I not have more bolts securing the transmission to the block? Are there supposed to be 4 additional bolts here?

seems to be more missing bolts:

I have a couple leaks:
drive shaft:

coolant:

OK OK…stop laughing … this is serious here! Other members here need to know that I was lied to…He had the car for 7 months. I could not leave the car with him any longer.

If he would have said that it was still not done, that would have been one issue but he actually told me it was completed. When I asked him about these issues, he said, “We ran out of time.” He and his crew felt that I ‘got a good deal’ and expected full payment. I wrote him a check so that they would load my old 5M stuff and load my car on the trailer…I towed it home with these issues. He signed the receipt saying that he would help with wiring diagrams and parts to get the tach and gauges working...since this time, he has avoided me without any communication. Should I be surprised?!?

I should have cancelled the check; however, I was trying to be a nice guy…and you know how they finish. So I sent a certified letter requesting information and parts that were not returned…and his father calls me wanted to yell and be nasty. He calmed down and agreed to send parts and look at pictures and return a call. I get some old parts and nothing to assist with the above issues.

So once again, I need to turn to the forum for help. I would like to hear solutions to these issues to determine the additional cost.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have many other pics of hanging wires and grounds and connections that I do not understand…another time perhaps. I just need to get these issues sorted and get the supra road worthy.

Since this time, I have purchased a HKS SSQV with flange, a small straight through muffler to put where the cat goes (maybe I can squeak out a sticker and still hear myself think in the car...way to ghastly loud!), and a turbo blanket to keep temps down. I am still working on which MSD tach adapter to purchase in order to get the gauge to work. And I will need to wire another line to get the water temp gauge to work. Armin has once again helped me with some information on the water gauge and muffler option...thank you very much Armin.

I will continue to update this site with my progress and news. Thanks for reading.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
you are missing bolts on the transmission, the tail shaft seal on the transmission looks to be leaking.

but your pictures are too small to tell....

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for looking guys. Yeah I tried to make this 56k friendly but the pics turned out smaller than I thought....went a little crazy taking a 5Mb to 600k with photoshop to resize the image. I will try to get larger ones up here if that would help.

I thought that bolts were missing too! Where do I find these bolts? Anyone have these laying around?

My family has urged me to visit the family lawyer. I would rather see what this will take to complete and go from there.

Thanks for taking a peek MK2-1JZ and RedP85. If it wasnt for the many helpful members in this forum, this project would never have made it this far. Thanks and I will get larger pics up hopefully tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
On the legal side-Did you have anything beyond a verbal contract? What warranty was provided/implied? What were your expectations of finished product with an unproven admitted first timer? On the car side-You have a great start, take each issue seperately, and fix it correctly. Nice Car. Those guys coulda spent an extra hour and $20 fixing a few of those-Fan Tape! Sheesh, pull through mounts are $8 or so at every parts store....

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Asking what was expected is a fair question. This is the actual contract agreed upon and signed digitally between two parties via email communication as well as verbal communication...addresses and such have been removed.

----------------------------------------------

Random House Racing
address
phone number
email
November 17, 2008

Customer Information:
Chadrick Lowther
address
phone
email

Vehicle Information:
Year: 1982
Manufacturer: Toyota
Model: Celica Supra L-Type
Vin#: xxxxx
Miles: 149,274.3

Contracted work to be performed on Chadrick’s 1982 Toyota will be conducted at the address listed for Random House Racing (RHR). The vehicle will be maintained indoors at all times to protect both the customer and company investments. Work on the vehicle is scheduled to start November 22, 2008. Due to the nature of custom parts (lead times) it is hard to set a finish date; however, it should be expected to have all work finished within 2 months.

Work to be performed on Chadrick’s 1982 Toyota is included but not limited to: 1JZ-GTE engine conversion, engine tear down and inspection, resealing engine after inspection, manual transmission conversion, Tru-trac differential rebuild, installation of monitoring gauges including cluster gauge operation, trouble shooting headlight electrical system, RHR 1JZ inter-cooler pipe kit, RHR performance 3" exhaust system, Jun lightened flywheel, Driftmotion Clutch kit, RHR 1JZ-GTE PnP wiring harness with extension into stock location, RHR PnP turbo timer harness w/ HKS turbo timer, RHR manual boost controller, and RabidChimp custom one piece drive shaft. Any changes to needed parts/work will be sent to Chadrick for pre-approval. See attachment 1 for a detailed estimate of total cost for parts and summary of work to be performed.

All work will be tested to assure customer satisfaction and correct operation. Upon time of delivery/pick-up, the customer will have to opportunity to perform a complete vehicle inspection. During the course of this inspection all new parts/features will be explained. If there are any problems with the installation of the engine and other parts they will need to be addressed that day. Random House Racing doesn’t have insurance at this time; all work is sold as is. If any problems arise, we encourage customers to contact us to solve them. Technical support is free and included for life; most issues can be sorted out this way.

-------------------------------

He left me pinned down getting me to come pick up a car that was obviously incomplete and would in no way be satisfatory. But there was no way I would leave it with him.

So here I am looking to fix his issues....

One thing has me worried...with all the loose bolts and missing bolts I found (there was even a finger-tight header bolt), I wonder how well the engine internals are put together.:32:

And I traveled all that way so that an individual could fix the wiring correctly...not some local muscle car shop here in town that does not work on imports...and all the electrical items were not completed.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Thats WAY more contract than I expected. Wow, nice escape clause. I dont know your personal/financial/mechanical situation, but I was not suggesting taking It to any shop-Getting your hands on fixing these issues will help in the long run, if at all possible. Again, nice car!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts