Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that my clutch is slipping, and I have an idea which one I want to buy. However, I have no clue what all needs to be done when installing a new clutch. Can someone give me a quick run-down of what is involved. I have heard people mention something about getting the flywheel machined...buy that is about all I know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
All you have to do is machine the flywheel (not always necessary, but a good thing to do), replace the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and clutch itself. You'll end up replacing the tranny fluid with removal of tranny, since you have to drain it. Thats about all that gets replaced.

Christian

·
Registered
794 Posts
Drain tranny fluid (not a must but may not make as much of a mess)
Remover shift lever (put tranny in 1st so you can spin input shaft later)
Remove starter
Disconnect electrical connector(s) on side of tranny
Remove Drive shaft
remove bell housing bolts
Support tranny with floor jack
Remove the 4 bolts securing the crossmember to the frame
Slide tranny back while slowly lowering jack (Dont lower it too far untill you get the input shaft completely clear of the pressure plate).

Of course it sounds simple but getting it back in is the real pain.

:p

When installing spin the rear output shaft slowly untill you feel the input shaft line up and slide in.

Ok, cold shower time.

:lol:

Now is a good time to replace the shifter bushings if your shifter is sloppy.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
while your are at it you should probably change your rear main seal. since the clutch is off you have a free rein to replace it with ease.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the responses. The extras like the shifter bushing and the rear main seal are very much appreciated as well. I think I will time this along with installing my JK short throw shifter.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i found that the engine sometimes tilts slightly forward when the tranny is removed maybe get a friend or someone to lean on the front and push it back a little and it should help line things up a little.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
or try wedging the motor so it can't move. I"m in the same boat, I have to change the clutch on my wifes AE86 this weekend. If the old clutch is worn out, be sure to get the flywheel machined. I need to do this all in one sitting as this is the only car we have insured right now so I picked up a spare flywheel from a friend last night and dropped it off at the local parts store to be machined. Any place that can turn brake rotors for you "should" be able to turn down a flywheel too. If your going with a stock replacment clutch, don't even think about a Dynapack. Dynacrap is how most refer to them, and I'm sure thats whats in the wifes car right now. That clutch is only a year old :mad: .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts