Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the clutch master and slave cylinder need to be bench bled when installing new ones? What is the proper procedure to do this? I've looked in the TSRM but it only says how to bleed it while they are installed in the car.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Slab them bad boys on and roll haha. Just try not to loose all your fluid when installing.

When I did my slave it said put plastic wrap between the master's cap and the reservoir to prevent fluid from leaking out. Either it didn't work or I didn't do it right. She was almost empty when I got the new slave on. Filled it up and bled it and been smooth since.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The TSRM from 1983-6 does not mention bench bleeding. Instructions made by the manufacturer in 2006 (or 2009) say you should. Maybe they didn't know about bench bleeding in 1983? Maybe the modern manufacturer doesn't know as much as Toyota 25 years ago? Maybe not?

I've done it both ways (last in 2006, why I mentioned that date above). I think the bleeding went easier with a bench bleed. Necessary, no; easier, yes (without a vacuum system, another option).

The TSRM is sometimes outdated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i know from experience that in some cases if you dont bench bleed a brake master cylinder, air gets trapped behind the internal cups/seals. you will be there for hours trying to bleed the system and the air will keep coming. in that case you can then unbolt the master from the fire wall so no pressure is put on the pushrod(it will be full extended) and try bleeding it that way. ask me how i know..LOL

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done it both ways (last in 2006, why I mentioned that date above). I think the bleeding went easier with a bench bleed. Necessary, no; easier, yes (without a vacuum system, another option).

The TSRM is sometimes outdated.
Are you talking about bench bleeding the brake master cylinder or clutch master/slave cylinder? If clutch, how did you do it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, great work. When its time for a clutch, I will bring mine to you. Is there any way you could post some comparison pics to the stock assembly. Kind of a side by side view?
I have already installed my clutch/slave cylinders. My new Toyota OEM ones looked pretty much identical to the ones that were on my car, I don't remember seeing any differences, except that my slave cylinder was painted pink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts