Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to stop the noisy clutch pedal? I could never get my 85 Celca GT-S to shut up either.....It doesn't make a sound if you hit it fast and hard, but ease out on it and it turns into a horror flic....

·
Founding Member
6,409 Posts
You need to replace the plastic bushings. Part No 90386-13192 there's two in a package and there are four total in the clutch pedal assembly.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help....very appreciated....makes me a little mad tho, all those years with that annoying noise........

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
pdupler said:
You need to replace the plastic bushings. Part No 90386-13192 there's two in a package and there are four total in the clutch pedal assembly.
Will this correct the creaking noise? Or some other noise?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine creaks too, but it seems to be coming from the transmission. I think it might have something to do with the fork, b/c the two bearings (carrier and throw-out) were just replaced. Anyone have this problem?

-Keith

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My '83 has a creaking clutch pedal also. What I have found to be the culprit is the fork and transmission. However, it has nothing to do with the pivot positions of the fork which was my original thought. After looking several times I finally found the source when I was replacing the clutch hose. The creak is caused by the rubber dust boot between the clutch fork and the transmission. At least in my case, the fork is tightly pressed against the top portion of the rubber boot. When the fork moves it rubs against the rubber boot producing the creaking noise.

This happens because the fork isn’t centered in the hole where it enters the tranny. There is lots of room in the hole below the fork, however the fork is justified more towards the top of the hole which creates the pinch point. I haven’t looked at it close enough to see what needs to be rotated in order ease the pinched area. One thing I have found is that when the wheels are raised off the ground the pinch is minimized thus eliminating the creaking noise.

This is only my case, yours may differ. Originally I thought the noise was coming from the spring on the foot pedal. Only after a little investigation did I discover the true source.

It could happen to you.
Scott

·
Registered
827 Posts
Marblehead said:
My '83 has a creaking clutch pedal also. What I have found to be the culprit is the fork and transmission. However, it has nothing to do with the pivot positions of the fork which was my original thought. After looking several times I finally found the source when I was replacing the clutch hose. The creak is caused by the rubber dust boot between the clutch fork and the transmission. At least in my case, the fork is tightly pressed against the top portion of the rubber boot. When the fork moves it rubs against the rubber boot producing the creaking noise.

This happens because the fork isn’t centered in the hole where it enters the tranny. There is lots of room in the hole below the fork, however the fork is justified more towards the top of the hole which creates the pinch point. I haven’t looked at it close enough to see what needs to be rotated in order ease the pinched area. One thing I have found is that when the wheels are raised off the ground the pinch is minimized thus eliminating the creaking noise.

This is only my case, yours may differ. Originally I thought the noise was coming from the spring on the foot pedal. Only after a little investigation did I discover the true source.

It could happen to you.
Scott
hmmmm, that sounds very probable. I also had someone pushing in the pedal while I stuck my head in many different positions trying to hear where the noise was coming from. I narrowed it down to the transmission. Thanks for the insight.

-Keith

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The noise I was complaining about was coming from the interior near the clutch pedal....I hear the noise in the tranny noise to, but that I can live with

·
Registered
64 Posts
clutch

All,

I've had the same problem that you all describe. I got under there and excercised it and tried to isolate the location (hard to do). Sprayed a few different products but got mixed results but the squeak was still there. I was never sure if it was metal on metal (at one of the pin joints) or the rubber seals of the cylinder against the metal rod.

So I pulled back the rubber boot on the cylinder (inside the car) and slid it back so that it just rides with the metal rod but doesn't move relative to the rod. This seems to have fixed the problem. NO MORE SQUEAK!

There's a groove in the housing that this boot clicks into. I don't think this will cause a leakage problem. You can see the next rubber part behind the boot and everything was dry. If your cylinder goes bad this boot won't stop leakage into the car anyway. I know. I've replaced this thing twice.

Let me know if this helps. I'm half thinking that the squeak went away for some other reason and this is just coincidental.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the squeak is back!

I suppose I spoke too soon. The squeak started again the other day. I guess the boot thing was just a coincidence.

I was wondering how hard it is to replace the bushings that Phil mentions.

Do you need to drop the whole mechanism? It looks like the bolts that hold it to the upper firewall are hard to reach. I'm guessing one would need to drop part of the lower dashboard. (I've only done that about 1000 times)

Tom

·
Registered
954 Posts
So, bringing another thread back from the dead. But hey, if it's still valid, so be it.
And these parts are STILL available!
The description is 'Bush(For Brake Pedal)' but the part number is the same for the clutch.

My clutch pedal is starting to stick just a bit when it's pressed down to the floorboards. It feels like my foot is catching the floor mat as I let go.
I had visions of having to have a set of bushings made out of Teflon, but a bit of searching brought this posting up.
Sure enough, these parts are still available.

Thanks for the info Phil!

My parts person says that the part number gets one bushing rather than two, but we shall see when I get them from Toyota.

Dale

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Not mine but interesting quantity in the packaging...

1599684337590.png

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Dale, looking at a few online Toy parts places pretty sure you can buy individually...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Not mine but interesting quantity in the packaging...

View attachment 15367
I just picked up my bushings and the quantity of the label was the quantity I ordered.
I guess they print the label with the part number, description, and quantity when they pull the parts from bins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts