Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...hoping someone might be able to help out a bit.

So here's the skivvy of it. Last night we had a flash flood while I was at my friend's house. I thought, it wasn't too bad and decided to drive home. I should've just waited because though I got through some pretty big tides of water in the street fine, one puddle was just too deep and I felt a bit of jerking. Was fine after getting through it, but the next day when I hopped into my baby, the clutch wouldn't disengage.

She'll go in gear while off, of course, and I can start it in 1st gear and shift by double clutching, but the clutch just doesn't want to work for me. Checked the fluid levels, they were fine. Checked for leaks...none that I can see. Master cylinder was replaced about 6 months ago, but the slave wasn't. I checked to see if the slave cylinder had movement and it does, though I'm not sure if it has enough (total newb). The clutch petal still has pressure...its not on the floor and feels just as it did before the flood. I can't move the piece that the slave cylinder pushes by hand...not sure if that's normal or not.

So...any ideas? Would rebleeding it help? Maybe I have water in the transmission? Do I need to replace the slave cylinder?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer :)

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
To verify clutch slave travel, support the car fully and have a friend push the clutch while you measure with a ruler the travel of the clutch slave.

...if it is traveling far enough to disengage, but still is stuck, you've got a clutch disk rusted/fused to the pressure plate. You can try pushing the clutch in while in first gear and shocking the drivetrain by putting it in 4th, pushing the clutch in, and tapping the starter a few times (make sure you're not going to roll into anything if the car fires).

--billyM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To verify clutch slave travel, support the car fully and have a friend push the clutch while you measure with a ruler the travel of the clutch slave.
--billyM
Thanks, I'll try that when my friend gets off work so I can have an assistant. How far should the slave be moving before it should disengage though?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Embarassingly, I don't remember... I'll have to hop under a car when I get home and check for you (gimme 2hrs and check back).

--billyM
Haha, I doubt that's something you'd normally remember. Thanks for going through the trouble. I'll check back later. Can't do anything right now anyways since I have to wait for my friend to get off work so I can have him step on the clutch while I'm under the car.

Thanks again

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
The travel capacity of the slave cylinder is right at or less than 2". ...it will fall out of the end and puke all the fluid out if you get 2" of travel...

...misinformation is worse than no-information.

Anyways, the actual measurement is 0.56" at the slave cylinder on my car.

--BillyM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Billy, I'll see if it gets that far once my friend comes over. Though, I think it might actually be going that far. I crawled under the car and pressed the clutch with my hand and it seemed to move far enough.

I also tried shocking it as you said, but it didn't help. One guy said its possible I might have water in my transmission and to drain and refill it. I wouldn't think it could rust together in just one night of having water in the transmission though =/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, turns out the slave was fine. I changed the transmission fluid since I think there might had been water in it. Backed her out of the driveway and started her in 1st. Went around a few blocks and the clutch broke loose. She's runnin' like a champ now! Guess it was about time I changed the transmission fluid anyways since she seems to be shifting a bit smoother now too.

Thanks for the help! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts