Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK OK, never mind the "sports cars don't need cup holders" argument. What do you guys do with your coffee while driving in the morning? I commute to a train station, so I keep the coffee in the center console, with the top up (keep hitting it with my elbow though). Then I'll drink it on the train. But it's a lousy spot if you're drinking and driving (only talking about coffee here). And I am NOT putting a cup of scalding hot liquid between my legs.

And you automatic transmission guys need not reply...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
I found some cup holders that clip into the air vents. They work pretty well. Sustained hard cornering (cloverleaf on-ramps) can cause some spillage :) I got them at Canadian Tire. I think I have a picture at MK2-mod(egroup) in the photos section under dohc82.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
I bought one of those bean bag type cup holders that sits on the passenger floor - close to the left front corner of the passenger seat. It accepts different sized sodas, coffee cups etc and it doesn't tip over...ever.

When I have a passenger in the car, it really isn't a problem then either. I didn't want to drive screws into my door panels, or mount anything permanently...so this was the best solution I could come up with. Bought it at some autoparts place like Kragen or Pep Boys I think.

One of these days I'm going to fabricate something that looks OEM, sort of like what Don Culbertson did in his Mk2. I think Shawn or Chris Eng would know more detail on how this was done, and what parts Don used. I have yet to see Don login to the forums so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
dohc82 said:
I found some cup holders that clip into the air vents. They work pretty well. Sustained hard cornering (cloverleaf on-ramps) can cause some spillage :) I got them at Canadian Tire. I think I have a picture at MK2-mod(egroup) in the photos section under dohc82.
I used to have this type of cup holder. I bought em at the rice shop in the mall, They work really good. I had two of em until they were stolen along with my supra last year. The only downside to them was the fact that they could only hold up to a 24 ounce drink.....Anything else would probably break the vent thingys.

I would buy them again though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,476 Posts
I finally found a MKIII cup holder cheap on ebay and I'm trying to modify it work on my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
I have one of them MIGO stainless steel mugs and its just skinny enough to slip between the pass. seat and the center console. I have to slide the seat back a bit to get it to fit, but it never falls out or tips(although it looks like it'll tip forward).
Some day I'll get one of them cup holders that I can just throw on the floor too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,111 Posts
the center console is my cup holder :rockon: . What about those two round things on the glove compartment door, kinda looks like Toyota was gonna make some sort of cup holder there :confused:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,397 Posts
If you don't mind drilling holes I think the best thing is to get some of those fold out cupholder for boats and RVs and screw 'em to the side of the center console around the shifter. Of course the best cup holder you can get would be an attractive person in the shotgun postion :D , though they tend to be pretty expensive if you know what I mean :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,558 Posts
*drinks bottled pop, and doesnt have this problem*

i agree, attractive shotgun cupholders are nice, and expensive, but they can also do many other things to assist in car driving.
no, nothing dirty, but tons of stuff.

ill use the same solution in the supra as i use in my truck, get one of those soft sided cooler bags, and belt it into the passenger seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
WadeT said:
Most cups fit perfectly between the drivers seat and the e-brake handle. I drank coffee 7 years and quit last year. I feel much better now too. :)
Just out of curiousity...you said you stopped drinking coffee and you feel better now. I've been drinking coffee for a long time too - did you eliminate caffeine all together? Like...no sodas etc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,840 Posts
SupraRacer007 said:
I bought one of those bean bag type cup holders that sits on the passenger floor - close to the left front corner of the passenger seat. It accepts different sized sodas, coffee cups etc and it doesn't tip over...ever.

When I have a passenger in the car, it really isn't a problem then either. I didn't want to drive screws into my door panels, or mount anything permanently...so this was the best solution I could come up with. Bought it at some autoparts place like Kragen or Pep Boys I think.

One of these days I'm going to fabricate something that looks OEM, sort of like what Don Culbertson did in his Mk2. I think Shawn or Chris Eng would know more detail on how this was done, and what parts Don used. I have yet to see Don login to the forums so...
Don is not a computer/forum kinda guy--at all.Barely get him to go to PacNW Yahoo.The cupholder in his car is froman 88-9 celica.Screws right into the Supra console,flips foward,just like in the celica.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
well with my drinks i just rigg em up into the map pocket on teh side of my door i know there is someone else here with an audi 4000 maybe he knows what im talking about hehe

or have a passenger hold my shit

or if its wide enough i put it between my 5spd and my ebrake there is kinda a lil platfor but gotta make sure u dont spill when in that place



i stoped drinking coffe for awhile when i moved to oregon but then about 5 months later in the summer i went to visit my best freind in washington (kent{near seattle]) and um i started drinking it again lol i guess thats what u get grwoing up near teh emerald city
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Junkie said:
Don is not a computer/forum kinda guy--at all.Barely get him to go to PacNW Yahoo.The cupholder in his car is froman 88-9 celica.Screws right into the Supra console,flips foward,just like in the celica.
Thanks for the info Shawn...I'll have to look into snagging that stuff from an 88-89 Celica next time I'm at the JY. I appreciate the reply!

Gotta get Mr. Culbertson into 2003...before 2004 gets here ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,116 Posts
Travel cup in center console- :oops: also have NON-OE $1.89 schucks type :oops: -always have fluid control issues(input and output)when drinkin and drivin-Also have cupholder for beer mounted to PS2 steering wheel :lol: -Mike P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
SupraRacer007 said:
Junkie said:
Don is not a computer/forum kinda guy--at all.Barely get him to go to PacNW Yahoo.The cupholder in his car is froman 88-9 celica.Screws right into the Supra console,flips foward,just like in the celica.
Thanks for the info Shawn...I'll have to look into snagging that stuff from an 88-89 Celica next time I'm at the JY. I appreciate the reply!

Gotta get Mr. Culbertson into 2003...before 2004 gets here ;)

did you ever try this racer?
my friend has an 89 and i noticed that on his. It looked pretty sweet. But from the looks of it, it looks to be too big, like our console is smaller. I'll have to take it off his and actually try and put it on mine.
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
6,425 Posts
SupraRacer007 said:
Just out of curiousity...you said you stopped drinking coffee and you feel better now. I've been drinking coffee for a long time too - did you eliminate caffeine all together? Like...no sodas etc?
I used to drink anything with caffeine, even popping those NoDoze pills through college and graduate school in an effort to keep awake for 18 hours a day and it never bothered me, and never really helped keep me awake during a really boring lecture either. But it became a habit if not an addiction. Somehow when I reached about the age of 32 I started having trouble sleeping and my doctor told me to cut out caffeine completely. It took awhile, like nearly a year, but my sleep pattern finally returned to normal. Now I drink decaf beverages at home and wherever available. I can't have any caffeine after about 3 in the afternoon or I'll have trouble sleeping that night. I know there's a lot of college students on our wonderful mk2 list so I advise you not to do what I did. It can come back to bite you as your metabolism changes in your 30s. I suspect the real reason Wade feels better is now he can get a normal nights sleep with proper REM cycles and all.

Phil D.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,116 Posts
Trying something new-Bought .99 cent holder from Schucks-broke off part that hooks over door-took Short machine screw and screwed it under drivers side vent right above speaker grill-coffee is at my left hand and cup holder doesnt move w/door-works alright-and screw fits perfect w/no damage-Mike P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
zAnKoNe said:
the center console is my cup holder :rockon: . What about those two round things on the glove compartment door, kinda looks like Toyota was gonna make some sort of cup holder there :confused:


I think those are for when they car isn't in motion, like using them as a tray, kinda like on an airplane. I could just imagine going to the drive-in and using that thing as a snack and drink tray LOL.. :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top