Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I'm running the "Stock Height" replacement springs from Raptor Racing. The front sits about 3/4" lower, and the rear about 1/2" lower than OEM, and I'm very happy with them.

No experience with any of the various coil-over kits out there.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have lowering springs on my Supra and coilovers on my SC300. Coilovers are good if you need to make height adjustments or need an exact height. Lowering springs just get you close. With that, I like the lowering on my Supra (1.5" front, .5" rear with dobinsons). On the SC300 I set the height once and haven't changed them in 5ish years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have lowering springs on my Supra and coilovers on my SC300. Coilovers are good if you need to make height adjustments or need an exact height. Lowering springs just get you close. With that, I like the lowering on my Supra (1.5" front, .5" rear with dobinsons). On the SC300 I set the height once and haven't changed them in 5ish years.
What make of springs do you have

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running the "Stock Height" replacement springs from Raptor Racing. The front sits about 3/4" lower, and the rear about 1/2" lower than OEM, and I'm very happy with them.

No experience with any of the various coil-over kits out there.
Do you have a pic of your car so I can see the stance, I saw on Raptor Racing "Dobinson MK2 Extreme Front Lowering Springs"(They will lower your car approximately 2") or Dobinson MK2 Front Lowering Springs-These springs are cataloged as a standard height spring by Dobinson but they actually lower your MK2 by approximately 0.75" and rear:Dobinson MK2 Rear Lowering Springs-

This is a brand new product that was available before, however the specs on this spring were far too extreme for most people. The old C59-059 from Dobinson was 65mm(2.5”) lower than the standard height Dobinson. We contacted Dobinson and suggested a change to the product and they agreed, so the new C59-059 is now 320mm free height vs. 295mm before. This spring is now 20mm(0.78”) lower than the new 340mm standard height Dobinson. We felt that this was perfect for those that wanted a slight drop in the rear without dramatic changes to camber. Much like the MK2 Dobinson Standard Height Srpings these are 232lb springs and ideally mated to stock to lightly modified MK2's.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
A spring is a spring they work exactly the same. Coil overs give you the ability to tune height and spring rate easily at the downside of more cost. Whether that is worth it to you only you will know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A spring is a spring they work exactly the same. Coil overs give you the ability to tune height and spring rate easily at the downside of more cost. Whether that is worth it to you only you will know.
I know the difference between them, ( I was a Tech for 15 years, not trying to be a smart ass ) What I'm trying to say or get an opinion is: I'm driving the car occasionally( here on Montreal we have from April-October ), not on a track, want good handling ( in the process or replacing all rubber susp components ) want the car to have a more aggressive lowered stance that's basically it

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
It sounds like you just want some regular lowering springs then for ease of use. Just a warning that most of the 1.something lowering springs aren't going to lower the car from the sagging old stock springs you have now. For the most part you don't have a lot of choices on what you can get. It's whatever George has from dobison

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like you just want some regular lowering springs then for ease of use. Just a warning that most of the 1.something lowering springs aren't going to lower the car from the sagging old stock springs you have now. For the most part you don't have a lot of choices on what you can get. It's whatever George has from dobison
I'M going to inquire, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Do you have a pic of your car so I can see the stance, I saw on Raptor Racing "Dobinson MK2 Extreme Front Lowering Springs"(They will lower your car approximately 2") or Dobinson MK2 Front Lowering Springs-These springs are cataloged as a standard height spring by Dobinson but they actually lower your MK2 by approximately 0.75" and rear:Dobinson MK2 Rear Lowering Springs-

This is a brand new product that was available before, however the specs on this spring were far too extreme for most people. The old C59-059 from Dobinson was 65mm(2.5”) lower than the standard height Dobinson. We contacted Dobinson and suggested a change to the product and they agreed, so the new C59-059 is now 320mm free height vs. 295mm before. This spring is now 20mm(0.78”) lower than the new 340mm standard height Dobinson. We felt that this was perfect for those that wanted a slight drop in the rear without dramatic changes to camber. Much like the MK2 Dobinson Standard Height Srpings these are 232lb springs and ideally mated to stock to lightly modified MK2's.
This isn't a very good picture, but it might give you and idea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Those are the stock height? I would have assumed it was a lowering set. Looks real nice.
I have a thing for mild rake on a car, been considering getting one step lower for my front vs rear but I sure like yours.

·
Founding Member
6,293 Posts
Custom wound springs are not all that expensive at around $200 a corner. Send in your stock springs, tell them how much of a drop your want, they measure and test the stock springs, plug a few variables into a computer program and their machines will spit out a coil to exact specifications. Coil Spring Specialties is just one company, there are several.

Note that our rear suspension doesn't have enough adjustment in it to go more than about an 3/4 inch lower without significant camber and adverse tire wear. There was once upon a time a camber adjustment kit that required some welding to install. Don't know if its still available, but I bet the individual components are probably available individually with a ton of research.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I really gotta dig around in my suspension soon, I'm starting to wonder what may have been done. My car is pretty damn low, and I bought it off a young guy who had done some goofy stuff, so I had just assumed he cut the springs or something. But the more I read up on suspension mods for our cars, the more I think one of its owners previous to him put some work in to the rear.

It's one of the few things I have yet to dive in to but it's coming due real soon. I have a conspicuous bright yellow sway bar back there, and my camber does not appear to be all jacked up, I know that much. The tread wear is completely unremarkable in the rear.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Custom wound springs are not all that expensive at around $200 a corner. Send in your stock springs, tell them how much of a drop your want, they measure and test the stock springs, plug a few variables into a computer program and their machines will spit out a coil to exact specifications. Coil Spring Specialties is just one company, there are several.

Note that our rear suspension doesn't have enough adjustment in it to go more than about an 3/4 inch lower without significant camber and adverse tire wear. There was once upon a time a camber adjustment kit that required some welding to install. Don't know if its still available, but I bet the individual components are probably available individually with a ton of research.
Camber kits are still available. Anything over an inch though and you probably won't be able to get 0 camber in rear without lowering the mounting point of the control arm down. My camber brackets are .5" lower than that stock mounting point, even with the bottom edge of the crossmember. At 2"+ in the rear lower I still have around -1.5 with the adjustment maxed out positive. You can lower the mounting point further and let the bracket hang past the edge and make gussets, but this can put the inside bushing in a bind. To combat this you can cut the inside mount off and move it down as well.

With that being said and what you're wanting out of the car it seems like lowering springs would be your best option as well as standard bushing replacement through out. You can get by without the camber mod in the rear with lowering springs, although it does help tremendously it's not 100% necessary.

I have BC br coils on mine with the 10k/8k spring setup, all poly bushings front to back, with solid subframe and crossmember bushings. On the street it's okay but it is STIFF. I wouldn't recommend it for daily or part time driving. I do have some more adjusting as far as the dampeners go now that I got the rear spring preload properly set....but that's only going to do so much as far as ride quality goes.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Those are the stock height? I would have assumed it was a lowering set. Looks real nice.
I have a thing for mild rake on a car, been considering getting one step lower for my front vs rear but I sure like yours.
Yes, those are the "Stock Height" springs from George at Raptor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was afraid the tires were going to rub when I first got it back on the ground, but holy smokes, they clear everything.
George told me the Dobson ( raptor racing ) springs won't be available for a while, so I'm looking at different companies who make them

·
Registered
495 Posts
King (Australian company?) makes springs for the mk2. They are on eBay but semi pricy shipped to US. Just do a search for "coil springs ma61" and they will come up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts