Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps. I snapped some shots of the cold air prototype after work today (yep, damned full time jobs), and wanted to let da homies know whats crackin' in SteilaCompton (Steilacoom, WA). Its mandrel bent 3" tubing, and will be powdercoated or ceramic coated, and come with air filter.

Here are some pics for now: http://www.rabidchimp.com/aaron
Look in the "cold air" folder.

Catch you all later.

-Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,111 Posts
cool prototype. I just have one suggestion wouldnt it be easier to put a pipe from that bottom front vent of the car to the bottom of where the air filter originally sits. IMHO it would be better cuz not as much water and dirt would get on to the filter :wink:

BTW I love your work :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I think what Zankone meant is what I'm thinking.

Just having a wide open mouth tube down there in the vent taking the air in directing it up to where the cone filter is in the stock location. (although this way there'd have to be some way to firmly hold the tube in place) That way the filter wouldn't be way under the car getting very dirty and wet.
Then perhaps making a box around the filter to keep cold air in, hot air out, and sorta a ram effect (although wouldn't be as effective as the current prototype ram effect but would be much cleaner and safer for the engine).
As I keep dreaming it would be nice to somehow have that wide open mouth tube clamped on somehow, that way you could pop it off and stick some type of cover on it to keep dirt out if you know you're going on dirt roads or keep out water for the rainy seasons.

Keep up the good work. One of these days I'll get a turbo kit..... just need the spare money and approval... ya know, lol.




If I were rich and had the resources I'd make all my dreams come true with my crazy ideas...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
zankone said:
put a pipe from that bottom front vent of the car to the bottom of where the air filter originally sits.
Wouldn't that cause some problems sitting in traffic? engine would be starved for air wouldn't it?

-Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,558 Posts
one question... no two.

how much, and when?

sorry if these have been answered before, but that looks like the hot ticket :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Andrew said:
zankone said:
put a pipe from that bottom front vent of the car to the bottom of where the air filter originally sits.
Wouldn't that cause some problems sitting in traffic? engine would be starved for air wouldn't it?

-Andrew
No because that's where everyones filter sits anyways w/out a cold air intake.

Adding a pipe from down in the vent pointed up to the intake in it's stock location would just give it a nice flow of air while moving, thus the cold air intake, but keeping the danger down of sucking in dirt and moisture from underneath the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,476 Posts
Aaron S. Garney said:
Hey peeps. I snapped some shots of the cold air prototype after work today (yep, damned full time jobs), and wanted to let da homies know whats crackin' in SteilaCompton (Steilacoom, WA). Its mandrel bent 3" tubing, and will be powdercoated or ceramic coated, and come with air filter.
As per uaual you da man. Nice work only problem for me is the IC lines run there. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,111 Posts
Supraa_luva said:
Andrew said:
zankone said:
put a pipe from that bottom front vent of the car to the bottom of where the air filter originally sits.
Wouldn't that cause some problems sitting in traffic? engine would be starved for air wouldn't it?

-Andrew
No because that's where everyones filter sits anyways w/out a cold air intake.

Adding a pipe from down in the vent pointed up to the intake in it's stock location would just give it a nice flow of air while moving, thus the cold air intake, but keeping the danger down of sucking in dirt and moisture from underneath the car.
Yea just like Supraa_luva said there would be a hole under the airfilter. Then from that hole make a pipe that runs to the vent. There wouldnt be any moving of the air filter and we get cool air when we really need it :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Looks good, I love the RC intake so I'm interested in this also. Would it come with a shield directly below the filter? If not a simple shield would be enough to keep splashes off the filter but let it breathe that nice cool air! :D Is the pipe available without a filter? You just cut 2 3" holes to route it, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback on the cold air intake. I'll try to address most points made so far:

Zank- Yes, it would be easier to put a pipe from the air dam inlet to the bottom side of where the stock filter would normally sit. With my kit, you will be able to do this. The pipe work in the kit consists of two pieces, with the upper pipe starting at the hole in the sheet metal under stock air filter location, and ending at AFM.

Skip- That BMC air filter is a bit on the spendy side, and we're all a bunch of cheap mofos, right? Heheheh

SupraLuva- Ram air is still a possibility, and I'll be watiing for you to order that turbo kit!

Andrew- See Supra Luva's reply

DogStar- How much? Don't know yet. When? Don't know that either bro, still need to work on the system

Muchbzy- Lets see some pics!

Jr85Mk2- Piping will be available without filter. I'll be making a splash guard/debris shield out of aluminum possibly, laser cut to fit perfect every time. Two holes will have to be cut. Upper hole, 3 3/8" (trying to find large grommet to make things look nice), and lower hole same size, or 3.25".
When I get the splash guard/heat shield done, I'll post another link to pics. Cya dudes!
-Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
yea that BMC filter is expensive :lol: as for your intake...most cold air intakes are designed just about the same and boy do they get dirty. but you said splash gaurd?!?! hmmmmnnnn now im interested :D cant wait to see the final product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
dunno if you guys have ever seen weapon r's ram air kit, you could do something along the lines of this:
http://www.weapon-r.com/products/productimages/ramairkit.jpg
i was thinking about fabricating something like that, i'm still debating on that or a debris/water shield.

On my accord, i made my own custom cold air intake, where the filter sits, in the fender well, i lined the area with foam, it soaks up water and blocks debris, but still lets more than enough air in, i have since changed the setup though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
personally, i like hood scoops best for cold air intake, it's just hard to bring yourself to cut a hole in your hood! i just bought my supra on march 1st so i haven't done anything yet (plus i have no money now either!). i don't know if i want to keep it stock or mod it but if i was to mod it i think i would add a hood scoop. nothing too exaggerated, just something that works and looks decent. i have a dodge daytona as my daily driver and i cut a hole in its hood and added a duct for a different kind of scoop.

ok so it doesn't look the greatest, doesn't matter to me. it's functional and i did it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
nice going chimp man, i might me very interested in your cold air intake, especially now that summer is coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Does this setup work in conjunction with the current RC intake? In other words in the cold air kit just from the AFM forward?

I just thought of something for those of us in Smog Nazi Cali... we could cut the bottom out of our filter boxes and run this pipe through the box and down... that way on a visual it looks stock :D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top