Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys my 86 auto is having a hard time starting. especially after its been sitting for a while. it cranks over fine ibut it is like there is no fuel getting any where then about the 3rd turn of the key she cranks up fine. my mechanic told me to check the cold start injector. is there a way to do this? or should i just swap it out with one from another car?

jeremy

·
Registered
733 Posts
You could could have some injectors leaking, so when it sits it needs to pressurize the system again. You might try injector cleaner. I also think there is a check valve somewhere in the system, location is dependent on the year. You might try turning the key to the run position several times without engaging the starter. If that does the trick, the system is probably losing pressure. You can stick a gauge on it to see if the system is holding pressure also. Popping out the injectors after sitting will allow you to see which one is leaking.

R+R of the cold start valve is a pain. It could also be the circuit that controls the cold start, if that is where the problem lies.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sloopercat, are you talking about the injector cleaner you dump into the gas tank then yeah i have done that many times. i assume you are talking about the fuel pressure. i was thinking that as well. i need to check and see if i have enough pressure. will let yall know when i find out.

jeremy

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, injector cleaner in the gas. That actually fixed that exact problem with an '83 I used to have.

The cold start circuit involves a few sensors, a timer and the ECU. But of course the injector could fail also. Based on the PIA factor, I would check everything else out before I would try to change that out. The TSRM has a troubleshooting guide for the cold start system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
how long has your car been sitting?! I've been having a hard time trying to restart mines as well... I disconnected my fuel rail and had the injectors cleaned out.. They work like brand new!! But yeah, if it sits out for a while the gas will gel up making it hard for fuel to travel through freely as it should..
-Melly

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 83' had a hard starting problem like you described. The injector O-rings were leaking and the pump would have to repressurize the line in order to start the car, and thus it would spin for a good while before it would start. What clued me into the O-rings was that when I parked it in a garage I could come back to the closed garage 10 minutes after I parked the car and smell fresh gas. I don't think I would have noticed the smell if I left it outside. After you park your car, wait a couple of minutes and then pop the hood and see if there is a strong gas smell.

I documented my O-ring replacement here:

http://sailfish.exis.net/~sfsound/supra_page/fuel_leak/fuel_leak.html

It wasn't hard, but it took some time, and I replaced a lot more parts than I had originally thought I would.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Square,
now that you mention that i did smell a little bit of gas the last couple of times i opened the hood. i also have read your write up before nicely done. i am going to follow your tips. where did you get those gaskets and o-rings? can i just get them at auto zone or napa?

Melly, did you have to take all of the things that square did to clean your injectors?

thanks for the info guys

jeremy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wade i see that in my tsrm page FI-49 is. i can not tell if that is apart of the coldstart injector. on FI-50 it says to check the resistance of the injector should be 3-5 ohms. is this what you are talking about? sorry to sound so dumb but want to make sure so i ask lots of questions.

jeremy

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
You can get a good view of the CSI nozzle by looking through the TB with the throttle plate wide open. A quick test can be done by disabling the ignition, disconnect the air intake plumbing on the TB, hold the throttle wide open, and watch for a spray of fuel from the CSI nozzle while someone cranks the engine over a couple of times. Don't crank the engine over more than just a couple of times though or you will flood the engine with fuel. Also, make darn sure that you do disable the ignition before doing this test as a safety precaution!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought all of my parts through a national Toyota dealer. I believe it was Newark Toyota world. Your local dealers may be more reasonable, but to give you an idea, I bought a set of Toyota plug wires for my 83' from Newark Toyota and they were $61. The local dealers wanted $91 for the same wires. It was this type of price difference that made me go with a national parts dealer. I know a lot of folks here like Jay Marks Toyota, so you may want to check them out as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I removed the fuel rail, you have to take out the intake, thorttle body, intake manifold, and distributor.. Just becareful when you remove the bolts, remember your car is nearly 20 years old, and i've had numerous bolts just snap rite off. But yeah when i had my fuel rail cleaned out the mechanic showed me how warped and crumbly the O-rings were.. He allready had a set of 0-rings he installed.. If you do smell gas maybe having yours injectors cleaned out wouldn't be a bad idea.. IF you do, run your first few tanks with higher grade gas and with some fuel system cleaner.. After that change your fuel filter and you should have a free-er flowing gas line...
-Melly

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
foonanas said:
wade i see that in my tsrm page FI-49 is. i can not tell if that is apart of the coldstart injector. on FI-50 it says to check the resistance of the injector should be 3-5 ohms. is this what you are talking about? sorry to sound so dumb but want to make sure so i ask lots of questions.

jeremy
Jeremy, it's the brown plug with the threaded brass insert. It's by the distributer. I don't have one here but the TSRM should have a page on this operation, checking resistance. Give it a shot before you start tearing other things off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks wade will try when i get back from out of town.

jeremy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts