Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I was wondering - is it completely impossible to start the 5mge without the cold start injector, or can it be done easily?

Im not even sure that mine works though.

Im asking since I was thinking of using the CSI in my turbo setup, to apply more fuel - just for a quick and cheapass solution until I can afford something better. I mean, its better than nothing... as far as i remember the csi is 140cc... right?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Klaus,

It will start, but just barely. The ECU will think the motor is still warm when you try to start it & it won't go into fast idle..

Just my opinion, but I would leave it. I've had my coldstart thermal time switch crap out & have tried starting the motor... Not fun when that injector does not engage.

Oh brother.... Using the CSI to add more fuel to a turbo setup??? Sounds like another band-aid approach to me... :?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CJSREDPRA said:
Klaus,

It will start, but just barely. The ECU will think the motor is still warm when you try to start it & it won't go into fast idle..
I dont care about fast idling etc ... I can do that myself by pusing down the pedal a little :wink:

Oh brother.... Using the CSI to add more fuel to a turbo setup??? Sounds like another band-aid approach to me... :?
[/quote]

Well -- im RRFPR is too small so Im running lean, so I thought that adding about 140cc (or how much the CSI is) to the cylinders might help just a little...

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
dohc82 said:
You really need to super-size those injectors...
Can I take your order?

Yeah can i get those injectors super-sized......lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its a big cheapass solution .. but what if I made a switch to the CSI that tells it either to:

1) Run as usually (work as CSI)

2) Run NOT as a CSI - but as an extra fuel injection under boost.

?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
AH

Ahhhh the woes of Turbos..................... :roll:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Re: AH

Angkistrodon said:
Ahhhh the woes of Turbos..................... :roll:
LOL!! The CSI probably isn't a very precision injector anyway, since it's just used to supply some extra fuel while the engine warms up. Plus, the CSI tends be a little temperamental (a definite N0-N0 for a turbo setup!) I'd swap the injectors themselves for ones of the proper size to match your application and play it safe.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allllright ... the idea has now been deleted from my harddrive (brain) :D

Im prolly gonna install 2 extra injectors to the intake with a PerfectPower SMT6 piggyback.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't know if the injectors from a 4th gen supra TT will work in your cars but if anyone wants them I have a set of 550CC injectors that have been cleaned and flow matched. If you want them let me know.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Darin,

2JZ injectors won't work on our 5M's. I "believe" they are 720cc's?? and the spray pattern is very different. Christian E. or Scott Hamons (both MKIV owners here on the forums) could answer this better.

550's are also too big for our 5M's, but they are a standard injector upgrade for a 7MGTE.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
550cc!!!

now that is super sized LOL

will

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
550's????? LOL!!!!! Hardly!!!!!!!!!!

Try 1000cc's for those MKIV guys that are pushing mega HP on their 2JZ-GTE's. Those make our stock 182cc's look like pebbles... :p

·
Registered
247 Posts
The 550s are the stock TT injectors, they've just been cleaned and flow matched. I was told they'd work in my 22R but while they'll fit in the manifold they won't mate up anywhere near the stock fuel rail so I'm moving on to something else and trying to recoupe my losses.

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: csi

I too contemplated this, but after reading several articles on the subject decided against it for the following reasons:

1) Cold start injector was not made for continuous operation. Doing so would overheat it and burn it out.
2) Given it's position it would be hard to achieve even distribution to all six cylinders.
3) 140cc divided by 6 cylinders is roughly only 23cc of fuel per cylinder. Even if only 1 cylinder is on it's intake stroke at once, that still isn't that much of an increase in fuel for what you require.

I think your other idea of adding two larger injectors upstream would better suite your needs. Good luck.

Sonny

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The mk4 injectors are 550cc, but they are side feed injectors. Wouldn't fit on the 5m. Some cheap 550's would be from an early 87 turbo rx-7. Have to change the plugs, tho.

Christian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts