Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends, im looking for make turbo my 5me, and want to buy forged rods, but i cant find any. Do you know if are the same of other engine?.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum. The 5me is obsolete. No aftermarket support. Find an '82 5mge and swap it into your Supra. Same mounts and bolt pattern.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi friends, im looking for make turbo my 5me, and want to buy forged rods,
Hi Jim,

I didn't notice at first, but Nico lives in Argentina and his Supra is a Mk I.

His motor is a 5M-E, not a 5M-GE. I am not familiar enough with the 5ME to know whether the bottom end is similar or not.
Can any of the Mk I guys chime in to let him know about what his options are?

Welcome on board Nico! Your car must be very rare there.

Dale

Edit: Dave, you pulled the trigger and replied while I was replying. I didn't see your response

·
Registered
888 Posts
So a quick look at www.toyodiy.com shows that the rods for both the 5M-GE and the 5M-E are indeed the same.
So Dr. Jim was absolutely correct.
The original Toyota part number for the rods was 13201-45010, although they are no longer available from Toyota.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
wait wasen't the 5me a single overhead cam? or am I thinking of the 4me?

will

·
Registered
888 Posts
D'OH!....I've got 5M-GE on the brain.
Jim, you should have just gone with the flow. I assumed that you already knew both engines had the same rods!

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-218.html

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-30588.html

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-39714.html
5ME versus 4ME thread

5ME SOHC head

M-TEU Engine of 1980

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/mhistory/mhistory.html
Scroll down to the 7th picture to see the M-TEU Engine

Sorry for hijacking this thread Nico, but for those of us with Mk II Supras, the Mk I Supra is somewhat mysterious.
It sounds like it can be difficult to get make more power from these engines because not a lot of people are working with them, but I think it's neat to see people do unusual things rather than what everyone else does!

It sounds like head gaskets will be an issue with a 5ME turbo engine. The 5M-GE has metal head gaskets available, but I suspect that these will not fit the 5ME. The picture above of the M-TEU which appears to be a turbocharged 4ME is not intercooled so I assume Toyota kept the boost pretty low to minimize head gasket failure. They added a water/air intercooler this engine in 1983 and called it an MTE so hopefully they upgraded the head gasket. Perhaps these are available still. (Just checked, they use the same head gasket between the M-TEU and the M-TE).

The bottom end looks very similar to the 5M-GE so a lot of parts will probably interchange. The rods on the 5MGE are similar to those of the 7MGTE with the exception of an oil squirter hole so I think that the stock rods won't be a problem if the boost is kept to reasonable levels.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1983_TOYOTA_SOARER_MZ10-HCPZT_1104.5.html
This is a link to the 1983 Japanese Domestic Market Toyota Soarer MZ10 body style in www.toyodiy.com. This car had the 2 Litre M-TE turbocharged engine. I imagine that these parts are generally obsolete and/or extremely difficult to obtain, but it gives an idea as to what parts are used.

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
@supraz - I was pretty sure all "5M" engines had the same bottom end, but I missed where he said what engine he had in his OP.

I know the MKII had the 5M engine in Australia as one of my Celica books had a road test of it. I thought that was the only place they used the 5M, and everybody else got the 5M-GE.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Jim,

According to the Professor, Chris Eng, Only THREE countries had the 5ME in their MKII's. Australia, Sweden & Switzerland. Sweden & Switzerland had the 5ME's in their cars from 82 - 86. Australia didn't start getting MKII's until 84.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
The 5me had the same displacement as the 5mge but older technology - single cam, timing chain versus belt, and rocker-style valve system. I owned several Mark Ones over the years and the 5me was very prone to blown head gaskets - even more so than the 7m. Rather than polishing that turd, I did both a 5mge swap and a 6mge swap into a couple '81 Supras. I was going to go turbo but Damon talked me out of it. He turboed an '81 and near killed himself - scary to drive a light little car with all that power and inferior suspension compared to the Mark2. I think the 6mge was a real good match for the Mk1.
A 5MGE or 6MGE is a DIRECT swap in, and you can use the stock 5me wiring harness. Mine ran great using the original 5me computer, a US spec '82 AFM and an '82 distributor with vacuum advance.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
The bottom end looks very similar to the 5M-GE so a lot of parts will probably interchange.
Sorry, I don't think so. I think the block is different in the front and the crank snout because of the timing chain but the mounts and bellhousing bolts line up so it's easy to drop a 5mge in to replace the 5me.

·
Super Moderator
8,158 Posts
The cylinder head is going to hold you back before the rods on the 5ME. The 5ME is basically a 6cyl 22R head. 22Rs are reliable, but they aren't a powerhouse motors by any means. You'd probably be far better off trying to convert to a 5MGE/7MGE head in bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
You'd probably be far better off trying to convert to a 5MGE/7MGE head.
Along with the block - I think that because of the timing chain in the me versus timing belt in the mge, 4me and 5me block are different casting from the 5, 6, 7mge block. I may be wrong but just eyeballing them years ago it seemed quite different on the front end of the crank and block. The snout on the crank is different.
But the attaching points are the same dimensions as far as engine mounts and bellhousing so it's an easy engine swap replacing the 5me with a 5mge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts