Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time here, so hello. I'm currently looking at a 79 Celica Supra that's in somewhat rough shape. In my opinion, it needs new carpet and new seats, there's a rust spot throught the floorboard right under the driver's legs, and, on a test drive, it stalled out. There's a whole slew of reasons that could've caused that. Also, the glove compartment is broken, multiple gauges aren't working, there's some interior rust, especially around the sunroof, and it has rolled over the 100k mark, so there's no telling how many miles it has. The auto sales place seems pretty set on selling it around a price, but I'm really wanting to cut it down to about half of that and I'm just wondering if I'm the one being unreasonable.
What is a reasonable amount to be paying for a 79 in this condition? Also, if you have any advice on things I should specifically be looking for, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! -Thorspaz

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
Not much with all those problems, but worst case the rear end is worth $500 to the AE86 guys. The absolute top of the market would have been this one that sold yesterday;

Biggest problem you'll have with Mk1s is even finding parts for them. Mk1s were extremely uncommon cars 20 yrs ago on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you were VERY good with rust repair, you can take a chance, but I would decline. :rolleyes: That's just me.
Better to start off with one in MUCH better shape.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Unless it's below 1K, I would not go for it.
The one on BaT above is a showroon car, no where near the description of yours.
And finding parts for them is even harder than the MK2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, he doesn't even seem to want to budge from 4k... I was gonna try to talk him down to 3k or so. Texted me today and said the mechanics determined that the catalytic is clogged and why it was stalling when warm. Well, I hate to do it since I want it, but I guess I'll have to give up on this one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless it's below 1K, I would not go for it.
The one on BaT above is a showroon car, no where near the description of yours.
And finding parts for them is even harder than the MK2.
Out of curiosity and ignorance, what parts are hard to source? Like, everything? incompatibility with most universal parts? what makes everything so rough?

·
Founding Member
6,461 Posts
Mechanical parts to make it go and stop are not terribly difficult to source as it shared a lot of parts with other Toyotas. But pretty much everything that makes it a Supra will be unavailable new and difficult to source used. Particularly everything made out of plastic, rubber or vinyl as those things have disintegrated unless the car was stored indoors for the last 40 years. Unless you intend to build a total custom out of it, i.e. shave the trim, construct a totally custom interior, etc., sounds like its probably not worth messing with except for parts.

Now there is some minimum value to any old car or truck that runs and drives. I once read an article that if I recall correctly said any car or truck that would pass state inspection, didn't have obvious crash damage and the A/C worked (this was a local source here in Texas) was worth at a very minimum $1,600 but that's been probably near a decade ago. I don't know what that minimum is today or what it would be in your local area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mechanical parts to make it go and stop are not terribly difficult to source as it shared a lot of parts with other Toyotas. But pretty much everything that makes it a Supra will be unavailable new and difficult to source used. Particularly everything made out of plastic, rubber or vinyl as those things have disintegrated unless the car was stored indoors for the last 40 years. Unless you intend to build a total custom out of it, i.e. shave the trim, construct a totally custom interior, etc., sounds like its probably not worth messing with except for parts.
I see what you mean. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a lot of the interior is pretty trashed and I had pretty much decided I'd be replacing anything that needs it and kinda making it my own anyway. There are many things that I'd like to keep, but I'm sure I'll end up replacing things with non-traditional aftermarket parts. I don't have too much of an issue with that. In a perfect world, I wouldn't need to, but since the car is already to that point and it makes me sad to see it sitting there, not getting loved, I figured might as well give it a new life.

All this being said, one thing I would like to keep that are trashed are the back seats. I guess I can wait until I decide to buy or not before I start worrying about what I'm gonna do about those. lol.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Parts are unobtainium FYI for these old girls.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
... My understanding is that it's nearly the same car as far as interior goes, correct?
for carpet yes. The windows were electric on the Supra, and probably material selection & colors were different with the Celica.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for carpet yes. The windows were electric on the Supra, and probably material selection & colors were different with the Celica.
Excellent! I can confirm that the window motors work! lol. big surprise, to be honest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PASS, lots better for far less money!
So, you agree with RedP85 when he says a grand, tops? This guy wants 4k. Would 1.5k or 2k be reasonable? I'm willing to put in work, but I need to know what my negotiation price should be.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So, you agree with RedP85 when he says a grand, tops? This guy wants 4k. Would 1.5k or 2k be reasonable? I'm willing to put in work, but I need to know what my negotiation price should be.
Yes, $1K tops.... the 79 has the door mounted mirrors, and a few different things from the rest of the 2nd Gen Celicas, and 80-81 Supras, the thermostat is different from the 80-81, console is different, etc... I'd be patient, its worth $1K as the rear end easily is worth 1K+... interiors are expensive to recover... I'd find a decent $3-4K one with nice interior and no rust, and you will be WAY ahead, plus you can enjoy it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, $1K tops.... the 79 has the door mounted mirrors, and a few different things from the rest of the 2nd Gen Celicas, and 80-81 Supras, the thermostat is different from the 80-81, console is different, etc... I'd be patient, its worth $1K as the rear end easily is worth 1K+... interiors are expensive to recover... I'd find a decent $3-4K one with nice interior and no rust, and you will be WAY ahead, plus you can enjoy it!
I'm just gonna keep these questions rolling, then. So, I'm pretty sure it has a 5M-E engine in it. That shouldn't have been available at the time, right? As far as I can tell, they only offered those in the Crown and some stuff overseas. Had the engine replaced at some point?

·
Registered
215 Posts
5ME was only available in the 81 Supra, so yes, engine swap.
1980 had the 4ME, not sure what the 79 had, probably a 4ME

·
MGSS Afflicted
175 Posts
First time here, so hello. I'm currently looking at a 79 Celica Supra that's in somewhat rough shape. In my opinion, it needs new carpet and new seats, there's a rust spot throught the floorboard right under the driver's legs, and, on a test drive, it stalled out. There's a whole slew of reasons that could've caused that. Also, the glove compartment is broken, multiple gauges aren't working, there's some interior rust, especially around the sunroof, and it has rolled over the 100k mark, so there's no telling how many miles it has. The auto sales place seems pretty set on selling it around a price, but I'm really wanting to cut it down to about half of that and I'm just wondering if I'm the one being unreasonable.
What is a reasonable amount to be paying for a 79 in this condition? Also, if you have any advice on things I should specifically be looking for, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! -Thorspaz
As many others have said, it is overpriced for that condition. The BaT car was a bargain and I kick myself for not being prepared better because I thought it would break the $15k record and wasn't willing to go that high.
Relays, igniters, idler arms, windshield glass, pittman arms, rear brake calipers, exterior trim and clips is a short list of what you will find unobtainable. Carpet from an RA40 liftback will fit, as will the cabin carpet, but replacement original seat fabric is also impossible to source so you will have to reupholster a different pattern.
A 1979 would have a 4M-E as the original engine, so anything else is a swap

1 - 20 of 36 Posts