Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
FYI, according to my database, this car was sold in May 2019 in NY for $2000 on a no reserve ebay auction and it is definitely a repaint
What makes you say repaint? Not originally in that color? Once again, pure ignorance in this area for me. :) Also, how did you get the ebay auction info? I have seen that it sold from there and got down to Houston where it sold again late last year, but I've never seen info on price of the sales.

·
MGSS Afflicted
175 Posts
What makes you say repaint? Not originally in that color? Once again, pure ignorance in this area for me. :) Also, how did you get the ebay auction info? I have seen that it sold from there and got down to Houston where it sold again late last year, but I've never seen info on price of the sales.
There was no color like that available in 1979 and the ebay auction showed an engine bay in black. How I get this info is I've been tracking 1st Gen Supras for almost 10 years now and get daily alerts on sales around the country (ebay, craiglist, offerup, iaai, etc). When I find one for sale, I put it in a database with info on the car including the original paint codes (6A8 black for this one) along with notes of the sales info. So back in 5/19 this one was on ebay and went into my spreadsheet with a final price of $2000, but I lost track of it until it popped up recently in Houston. Another example of how these cars move around is the Gas Monkey Garage car bought in Wyoming for $4000 back in 2019 and featured on one of their episodes, then put on ebay for $9995 a few months later. That car was last seen on a dealer's lot in South Carolina for $12495 lol.
I would like to think I have documented most of the 1st Gen Supras left in the world at this point, but surprises keep popping up like the Bring A Trailer car recently.

Good luck in your search. If this dealer won't come down to a price you are comfortable with, keep looking. This generation has yet to see the 'Supra Tax' jump in value yet, as witnessed by the $9000 final price for that near perfect car on BaT.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Amen. It's pretty crazy telling friends and family that the Mark 4's can sell upwards of 100k. But MK1 Supras can be found for around 5k. I hope the values come up someday.

·
Founding Member
6,459 Posts
Seems like as I recall the mk4s were just depreciating as expected, then that movie came out and all of a sudden, depreciation just stopped and prices started going back up. About the same time, the warranties were running out which meant they were fodder for modification and they did develop a reputation for drag racing durability. But I kind of wonder where they'd be today if it hadn't been for that silly movie. Surely they would have continued to depreciate another ten years at least. Too bad the producers couldn't have modified a mk1 or mk2 for their hero car.

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
They'd still be thru the roof. All of the 90s Japanese sports cars are thru the roof these days. 3000GTs don't get a lot of love and the 300Z they made tons of but the RX7, Supras, and NSX are way way up. Those were kind of like the late 60s muscle cars for the Japanese car makers. The MkIV Supra was basically the best "tuner" car we ever got stateside from Japan. Probably next best would be the R35 GTR and the LFA (but its kind of a unicorn). The R35 GTR will probably hold their money long term, but the fact they are still making them kind of keeps them down.

·
MGSS Afflicted
175 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
so i think you should bring down ask i the person who is selling it to bring down the price since it is in bad shape and since it will take a lot of time and money to repair it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so i think you should bring down ask i the person who is selling it to bring down the price since it is in bad shape and since it will take a lot of time and money to repair it
I had a mechanic go out on Saturday and do a pre-purchace inspection. He said there's rust under the repaint and in basically every panel, the wheel wells, and that even the wheels are starting to rust to the point that he'd reccomend replacing them.

I called the dealer today and offered 1500 and he said the lowest he'd go is 3500 out the door, so including T, T, & L. He's out of his damn mind.

Should I let him sit on it for a month and call back up or forget about it and move on with my life?

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
You're wasting your time on this one.

Reactions: Thorspaz

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
I agree with him for the 79.
From the description, it's barely a 1K car.

The 82 seems also a bit pricey for the condition. I don't know if you are only looking at used car dealers, but I think you could find a better deal directly from an owner.

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
There's some shenanigans going on with the gauge cluster in that one. It looks like it might have had the ole roll back going on. The oil pressure gauge shouldn't be pointed like that. It should line up with the volt and temp gauge in the off position.

·
MGSS Afflicted
175 Posts
I had a mechanic go out on Saturday and do a pre-purchace inspection. He said there's rust under the repaint and in basically every panel, the wheel wells, and that even the wheels are starting to rust to the point that he'd reccomend replacing them.

I called the dealer today and offered 1500 and he said the lowest he'd go is 3500 out the door, so including T, T, & L. He's out of his damn mind.

Should I let him sit on it for a month and call back up or forget about it and move on with my life?
Definitely pass on that one. If you are set on a 1st generation Supra, there are a couple around the country in better condition for about the same price. Unfortunately, not in your area but you will find that is the case quite a bit with cars this old - it will take travel to find the right one. My pride and joy Mk1 is from Chicago by way of Beverly Hills (BH car wash scan code in the windshield lol) and my Mk2 came from Miami but spent almost its whole life in AZ/NV. Patience and perseverance are needed to find the value.

·
Registered
4 Posts

i am not sure

·
Founding Member
6,459 Posts

I'm assuming this dealer has a sign up that says something to the effect of "buy here, pay here". Thing is that any car that runs and drives he can sell on installment payments to some poor person with no credit. Inflating the base price is how he gets around loan sharking laws that would otherwise limit the percent interest he can charge. He'll sell it to some poor sucker with no credit for $500 down and probably something like $150/month for two years. The risk is low since they probably broke even on the first monthly payment. If that person makes even half the payments before the car breaks down or they lose their job, they'll profit more than you offered. But that doesn't mean the cash value is $3,500, rather its probably worth closer to $1,000 and they're really charging 300% interest.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts