Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

convert 7M-GE to 7M-GTE or buy new engine?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
I've got the 1988 Toyota Supra MKIII with the 3.0L (2954cc) 7M-GE l6 engine. The transmission is W58 Manual. I want to convert it to a turbo but i can't decide if it's better to build it or just buy a whole new GTE instead. Anywhere I find turbochargers online they're all replacement turbos for the GTE which already had one and I'm not even positive I'm capable of installing it into my GE. I don't think I have the funds to just buy a new GTE. And the problem with building it is the GEs have smaller injectors (330cc vs. the 440cc in a turbo), GEs have a higher compression, the GE ECUs have a more aggressive timing map where I'd be making boost, it doesn't have oil squirters, there's only one knock sensor, and the spark plug gap would probably be too large with boost. On top of that I'd have to run with the highest octane level I can find and probably couldn't go much higher than stock boost levels which is like 7psi. I might even need an S-AFC to tune the car since the fuel maps were designed for a boosted car. Even though it'd be cheaper to build than to buy, it's still gonna take a fair amount of money depending on the cost of the turbo charger, if i feel like i need a cold air intake system since the Supras already run so hot, and what I have to spend on other parts and tools to make the conversion possible. It's going to take lots of time and help since I'm not knowledgable enough to do it myself. My question is, is it worth it to buy a turbo charger replacement for the GTE and spend the time converting the GE to a turbo? Or should I just save up a few grand and buy a 7M-GTE like it is?

See less See more
#2 ·
Couple of points here:
Post in one sub-forum. This forum is for a MKII not MKIII, not sure if you realized that since you seem to be new to posting on forums. Perhaps search a MKIII forum, perhaps supraforums, for NA-T conversion. We typically just buy the 7MGTE and install, with what ever mods it takes. These mods and methods are different than you need.

Your post:
Money vs. Time. Do you have time to learn or do you have money to burn?
Sounds like you have researched quite a bit. Typically a NA-T will not be as good as the factory designed and engineered GTE. The cost will likely look very similar since you will need to buy a bunch of bits and pieces. GTEs are getting cheaper as most people who want big power are going to the 2JZGTE and the price is coming down on those.
Your swap to GTE is simple as far as work goes since it was a factory option. Just watch the message boards and FB groups and you can pick up a low cost GTE from someone going 1 or 2J.

#3 ·
GMiller, Darrow has some great points!!

I would also look at upgrading the cooling system (radiator) as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.