Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have not heard of this and I have not tried it yet!

Quote:
When you are starting your 5M-GE for the first time of the day, many 5Ms will make a loud clack-clacking valve lash adjuster noise. The work around for this problem is simple, shut the engine off immediately after starting, then restart the engine, it will usually run quietly after you do this, if not repeat the stop and start. With practice you will find you can actually just turn the engine over without starting it to achieve the same result. The 5M-GE engine does this because of an air lock condition that occurs in the oil pressure regulator bolted to your cylinder head between the cam boxes. This work around makes your starter work harder but the result of less wear and tear on your valve train is worth it.
REALLY?:confused:

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Another testimony to the passion of Mk2 owners. It is a fun read.
Thanks for sharing.

Now, if I can only find a Thorley header for my 6MGE......

·
Founding Member
6,625 Posts
Kind of a blast from the past. I'm pretty sure I've seen that page before, but not in very, very long time.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hit the ON B-4 the starter gets tired? Not impressed.
Other info is better.

·
Registered
431 Posts
There was problem with original oil-pressure regulator to cams. Cost me set of cams that got damaged. Dealer had tech-bulletin with upgraded pressure-regulator. This was way back in '87, so I'm not sure what status is.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was problem with original oil-pressure regulator to cams. Cost me set of cams that got damaged. Dealer had tech-bulletin with upgraded pressure-regulator. This was way back in '87, so I'm not sure what status is.
Oil pressure regulator? Both cams were damaged? Some oil pressure air lock. The RATTLE on a cold start was bugging me. I wired a momentary switch to the starter. It may be handy, later. I really don't like the rattle.
How can the oil pressure regulator be modified to fix this? Crank up the pressure to eliminate the "air lock"? I don't understand. A TSRM?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not sure what difference was with new regulator. Maybe internal passages different? Maybe it didn't bleed off oil when engine stopped? Didn't get any more cold-start rattles after changing it. Went with set of performance cams from Toy Store in ... Malibu I think. No problems for another 200k-miles after original cams died @ ~50k-miles.

·
Premium Member
8,499 Posts
Dave, top of page Sir dated 10/20/98

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
40 Posts
That was a good year, lol. I was 11 and ocarina of time was just about to come out. When he says "chalking" on the camshaft lobes, what does he mean? My intake cam was pretty questionable, but I'm using it anyway until I find another one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
low-oil causes wear on lobes and rocker arms. Gives it a rough white finish. At first, I thought
it was some white paint that got smeared on there. It's just way rough finish reflects light.

·
Premium Member
8,499 Posts
Reactions: ddd228
1 - 18 of 18 Posts