Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone has seen this before? Can it be fixed? Doesn't seem like it would seal.. Not for long anyway.. Doesn't seem fixable either. Block is ruined huh. Was scraping the old gasket and noticed it. Looks like someone tried to fix it with jb weld before. But it flaked off. I have another block but it's got quite a bit of surface rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Honestly that should seal on the HG no problem. It seals on the whole face around those passages, not just the edge.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you have the gasket can you lay it down in place and see how much overlap/coverage you have...

will

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Well, depends on what you use for a gasket. If you go with an all metal HG (which you should! Even if you are NA, the stock HGs are kinda crap) it will seal, but if you go with a composite, some of the oem ones will likely not have enough metal around the collant passage to keep the water from touching the paper/fibre part of the gasket, and it will not last long in that case. But go with an all metal HG and as long as you get the 2 mating surfaces machined correctly, you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You could also just lay a bead of orange RTV into that spot when applying the HG.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks for the replies. Yeah I probably will use a metal gasket too, from now on I'll scrape the gasket on a block before I start buying parts to rebuild.

It had a composite gasket on it before and didn't leak but I didn't run it too much after getting it cause it had a lot of lower end noise. Didn't want to just assume it'd be ok because that chunk missing goes beyond the sealing ring in the old gasket.

I've got the other block in an electrolysis tank, if it cleans up good I'll probably use it anyway. Looking good so far. It's the original block that was in the car so it would be kinda cool to have it back in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I got the other block pretty much rust free, but the block deck is a little questionable. It might be ok but I'm not sure I trust it. It's flat but has some pitting from the old gasket and from rust.

No big deal I thought, I'll just get it shaved. But I can't find much info on how much I can take off. I found someone who said it's around .0005, if that's true than I don't know what I can do other than use a composite gasket and hope, or just use the 84 block.. and hope... I see they sell shims, but I'd rather not do that. Seems like it would be just as big a risk as just slapping a gasket on what I've got. Also thought about using copper spray on a stock gasket, or getting a 2mm gasket, but that was before I saw the prices of them..

Here are a couple of pics of the deck on the 83 block after cleaning it up. What do you think? The second pic is the worst part of it. It's mostly smooth but you can see it does have some pitting.

I really do appreciate the input y'all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Read the manual for how much to take off...

Honestly, take off as much as you like. The compression on these motors, especially the pre 84 ones, is super low by todays standards. Even the stock EFI can handle a pretty big jump in compression. At worst you'll have to go up a grade of gas to avoid pinging. The 84+ are 9.2:1, many of us have jumped into the 10s and our motors are perfectly happy with 91 octane, or even 89 if you're tune is good for some.

Most blocks are pretty pitted like that, machining is always recommended (necessary even if you are going with a metal HG).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts