Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty stupid question...the coolant temp sensor, is that on the side of the block or one of the two at the tstat housing? My manual says the side of the block, but when I look up at Advance auto the pictures show the ones on the tstat housing.

My problem is that the guage doesn't move and the engine "throbs" at idle. between 1000 and 2000 rpms. Timing is set, engine has been resealed (all new gaskets...everywhere on it). In the process of getting new vacuum lines...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Temp guage sending unit is on the block behind the thermostat housing.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The sender for the temp gauge in the dash actually screws into the side of the head under the distributor. The plug should just be a single spade. The ones in the thermostat housing are for the EFI system.

·
Registered
310 Posts
MMMMMmmm me so confuzed...'']\'.[;\-0(*#_??" :!: :bad-word: :twisted: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
The sender for the temp gauge in the dash actually screws into the side of the head under the distributor. The plug should just be a single spade. The ones in the thermostat housing are for the EFI system.
so was I right :? Isnt it a PITA to get it out though?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
zankone said:
Isnt it a PITA to get it out though?
Sort of. It should be a cake walk if you remove the distributor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My bad. I should have said head, not block. I was thinking "motor" and not thermo housing. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Square said:
My bad. I should have said head, not block. I was thinking "motor" and not thermo housing. Sorry. :(
I actually crawled under the car last night looking for another plug...hoping i missed one or something. It's relatively easy to see from the underside. Unfortunately for me it was plugged in. Weird part is the manual I have shows the temp sensor to be closer the motor mount than the head. I'm going to look in my manual again tonight and just make sure i'm looking at it correctly.

Car is starting to get to me... :mad: :?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The engine temp. sender for the temp. gauge is screwed into the cylinder head just below the distributor and near the rear of the thermostat housing. What you're seeing from below could be the knock sensor or the oil pressure sending unit. Look carefully where the cylinder head meets the block underneath the distributor. You should see a small diameter sensor with a single wire attached to it with a spade type connector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave,
Thanks for the clarification. I should have been clearer in my last post. Actually when I was under the car I could see the engine temp. sender for the temp. gauge. It was plugged in, as well as what I believe is the knock sensor. My haynes or chiltons manual (forget what I have even) shows the temps sensor to be where the knock sensor is. The oil pressure sender is on the other side of the block.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Okay, so you're saying that your coolant temp. gauge isn't working at all even though the temp. sender on the cylinder head appears to be connected??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave A. said:
Okay, so you're saying that your coolant temp. gauge isn't working at all even though the temp. sender on the cylinder head appears to be connected??
That's right, It worked before the engine reseal, just not after. And with that the engine does not idle correctly. it jumps between 2000 and 1000 rpms. it's a "smooth" idle. (when I say smooth I just mean that it doesn't sound like a miss or anything like that) The timing is set at about 12 or 13 btdc. I'm going to try and check the air flow meter on Friday.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
i know this thread is almost 2 years old, but ask me if i care. im reading that the temp sending wire is a single spade single wire. this wouldnt happen to be a red connector housing would it? i have a single spade wire with red connector housing and it just hangs out all day swingin around. also have a 2 spade (i figure by spade you guys mean the metal tips inside the plug) green housing that hangs out with the red connector.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts