Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Yesterday I replaced rad,hoses,fan and fan clutch, cap and thermostat. My problem is that now the car (83 Ltype) runs hotter than it did before new parts. I did try the burp thing and that didn't seem to work. Also the waterpump was recently replaced. I don't understand what would make it run hotter with all the new parts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,390 Posts
Did you install the right temperature t-stat?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
it might help to try and bleed out more air from the system, maybe because your thermostat was old it was opening up too early causing to run too cool and now that the proper parts are in there it is running at its normal temperature.

but i would make sure that you got the correct thermostat and that you also have all the air bled out, just do a bunch of revs and idles turn it on heat all the way and try it, if that turns out to be ok and the thermostat ok you have no problems...lol i don't know if that helps
i hope it does...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick responses. The stat is a 180 degree and is the same as what came out of the car. I am wondering how long I should do the bleed process. I did it for along time today revving the car with heat on and off. I am stumped.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Did you flush the radiator as well?
Are you running 50-50 water/antifreeze?

Did you reverse the tstat by accident?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
radiator is new. Did flush it, 50/50 mix put in. tstat installed correctly. It is odd because it ran just under half on the gauge before all the new parts and now it runs at 3/4. Yet after driving it I can remove the cap with very little coolant coming out yet it won't allow me to add anymore.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
What brand of radiator and T-stat did you install? Top off the coolant level by adding coolant to the full mark on the overflow bottle. You don't want to remove the radiator cap to check the coolant level as that just allows air to enter back into the cooling system. After the T-stat opens and the trapped air escapes (burp), top off the radiator and put the cap back on. Then make sure that the overflow bottle is filled to the full mark so that the cooling system will draw in coolant as the engine cools down.
HTH!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
radiator is from csf radiators and the tstat is a stant. Coolant bottle is full. It must be that I still have air in the system. I jacked it up as high as my jack would lift it bled it, parked it on the steepest hill around and bled it. Not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I would swap the Stant T-stat for an original Toyota T-stat. Sometimes aftermarket T-stats (especially for import cars) don't have enough travel and don't open quite far enough for proper coolant flow. Radiator should be okay.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a good idea. I have been sort of questioning the stat after feeling the upper hose while it is running. It doesn't feel as firm as other cars i have had. Anyway, thanks for all your help people. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Must be air in the system.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
One quick way to check it would be to remove the tstat and let it run and see if it over heats (eliminate possible causes one be one). If it dosent then it must be the tstat.

will

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carlos Relova

No I haven't figured it out yet. I put in a Toyota Tstat and burped it again but it is still running way to hot compared to what it was. My only thought is that the first tstat I pulled must have been a much cooler one. Unfortunately that one got pitched. Thanks for the responses though everyone. Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CRF Rider

I flushed the new radiator before I put it in. Everything was fine before all the new parts. I only tore it all apart because the old rad had a leak and looked pretty "green". It only ran under half on the temp gauge before and now 3/4.

·
Registered
195 Posts
@SupraLove83,

are you sure there isn't a problem with your temp guage on your instrument cluster? It's possible it's just getting a false reading?

Now, what do you guys mean by "burping"? How do you "burp" your car?!?

- Mike

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Ok stupid question but how do you BURP it..........?
.........run the engine with the cap off ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Once had a 180 and the needle went past halfway of the white line(3/4) during normal and high way roads. I replaced it with 165degrees from Kragen and the toyota red fluid. Works fine now at halfway of white marker in highways.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts