Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Yes. A leak down test. Also are you still running the stock mechanical clutch fan?

Could be the electric fans are just not up to the task. Does it overheat if you are driving constantly at highway speed?

Google 'leak down test' for more details on doing it.

You didn't answer my question. If you drive it at highway speed (really anything over 40mph) does it still overheat?

Might just be the electric fans don't flow nearly enough to keep it cool.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Might just be the electric fans don't flow nearly enough to keep it cool.
Yeah that’s what’s up next for replacement. Any recommendations for good electric fans for relatively cheap? Are fan shrouds necessary or just the fans? Btw I’m out in Arizona with an average temp of 101 most days currently so that’s probably a contributing factor.

Put the clutch fan and stock shroud back on, that's the easiest. I run electrics but don't have space for a mechanical fan (2JZ and thick radiator).

Problem with electric fans is that any fan worth anything will draw at least 20A and the stock 5M alternator isn't very oversized stock. And yes you want a shroud if you want the fan to work correctly. Not the prettiest solution, but on a budget Ford Contour fans are a decent choice. You can get them at the junkyard or there are new aftermarket ones around $100.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Problem with electric fans is that any fan worth anything will draw at least 20A and the stock 5M alternator isn't very oversized stock. And yes you want a shroud if you want the fan to work correctly. Not the prettiest solution, but on a budget Ford Contour fans are a decent choice. You can get them at the junkyard or there are new aftermarket ones around $100.
Noted, so then best solution seems to be upgrade the alternator and get contour fans?

Your local auto parts store can order up a Chinesium one. Plastic top and bottom tanks, But that may NOT be the issue.;)

Buy a used fan and clutch from here or the Facebook group

Discussion starter · #39 ·
UPDATE
Took the radiator out and got it Rodded out at a shop readjusted the fans and replaced the intake hose which seems to have solved most of the problems. Car will idle consistently now which is very nice plus in the shade it will maintain around 205-215 at idle. Still gets up towards 225-230 after about 20 minutes of neighborhood driving at which point I’ll take it inside out of fear of blowing something. Part of this may be due to the weather as it’s been consistently 100-110 here in Arizona recently. Any thoughts?

Your electric fans are probably not great. Especially if they don't have a shroud. Go back to the stock mechanical fan. Like I said before.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.