Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone
i was in desperate need of at least two back tires so i tried calling all the shops to see what they had aand all

well i found a shop and they said they hav two cooper cobras in stock and they would charge me 69 bucks a tire to buy em balance em and install them i was wandering if this is a good price and if they are good tires

i just need to something to last me a liitle while and was wandering if these are a good choice and such

thanx again for the input

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
d

Pending on the size 225/60/14 its an okay price maybe better than okay its the 245/50/14 that cost 95 a tire. Yah I would buy them for that price and I know people in the business that quoted me 79 for bf goodrich and cooper is a good tire. I cant see what I wrote so sorry for the mistypes

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
My dad has some Cooper Cobras on his newer Camaro. They are ungodly noisy noisy on the freeway. Not really a performance tire either, they are more inline with the BFG TA. They do look nice though, especially on older muscle cars. I would go with the Falkens in that price range myself. I believe they are $50-60 a tire.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had the 225/60 Cooper Cobras on my '84. Nothing special at all, in fact, i would say they were very slippery, especially in the wet. I would go with a set of Falkens or Sumitomos for less money...more performance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do plan on going with the sumitomos eventually however i am in desperate need of tires like today

this is why i am going with the cooper cobras and they are the 235/60/14

thanx for the input guys and i do plan on going with the sumitomos one day i just cant wait becuse this tires is ready to blow and my spare is already on the passanger side due to that tire blowing out last week

thanx again for the input

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
follow up

well heres the report when i first got the tires they gave a nice little spin leaving the shop. afterwards heading ot my cuz's house (bout three miles away from the shop) i got something i have never gotten before...a little chirp shifting into third kinda suprised me :shock: . since then the tires have gripped much better than the previous firestone firehawks and i think they are rather decent for 70 a peice including install though i have nothing to compare them to cept the dangerously worn firehawks :oops: . any way found out they are rather good in the burnout section as well. on my way home from work at about 12.30 at night i stoped and decided to check em out....revved to about 5 grand dumped the clutch and hit the brakes. they didnt squeel much and i was enveloped in smoke in a matter of seconds. i held it there for about ten seconds or so let off the brake and headed for home. damn i love the smell of burnouts :D . oh well just thought id give a follow up on the cobras anyone have any comments especially bout the firehawks please join in thanx for reading

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: Cooper Cobras

I had a set on my 1990 Celica GT awhile back. I'd say for the price they were an average tire. Some pros would be price, and decent straight line acceleration stick. Some cons would be tire life (I got maybe two years out of them?) and handling definately sucks. Waaay too much sidewall flex when going through the twisties. As someone already aluded to, they seem to go better with muscle cars where handling isn't as important as going straight. Good luck.

Sonny

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I dono I liked the coopers I had on my last supra got pretty good wear out of them too.. not that I've ever had a true performance tire to compair them too

IMO

will

·
Registered
67 Posts
Coopers

8-9 years ago I got some Cooper Cheetahs put on my first '82 Supra and they were awesome.

The car was blue and the tires had the blue protective coating on the letters - perfect color match and the lettering style was excellent with the body style. An 82 year-old man sideswiped the car a week later and I had to sell the tires at a loss - man that hurt!

I'd love to get another set on my current blue Supra. Not sure if they still make the Cheetahs, though...

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I put Coopers on my 85 6 months ago on purpose-Locally, for under 100 a tire I had 2 choices-Coopers and BFGs-Had cobra gts on my 82 and they worked great for street non perf tire-Kinda wish I woulda gone w245/50s tho-Have 225/60 on frt and 235/60 on rear-I like them a lot-But Ive never experienced a true perf tire on my Soops-Chris E-Hows those A509s on the Redpra-Mike

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
LOL!!!

How's dem A509's??? LOVE EM!!!!!! NO tire squeal at all!!! They grip VERY WELL in the rain & wet road surfaces!!!! When they are new, they don't hydroplane at all, but when they are old & start getting bald, they will hydroplane like a MoFo.... The 1st year I had them, I was pushing them pretty hard on the twisties @ PIR during the Baxters Meet. No tire squeal or understeer, they held traction through the turns.

I'm basically peeved that Yokohama discontinued them... :mad: This was the last of the grippy/sticky 160AA tires that were still in the 225/60 size...

You'll get to see them on Saturday @ the dyno!!!! I'm putting my stock tires on the rear for my dyno runs. This way I won't get a lower dyno reading, because the motor is trying to spin the larger/heavier 16" Compomotive's on the rollers (yes, I have noticed a difference). I just want to keep all of my dyno run records/charts consistant, because the majority of them have all been done on the stock wheels/tires.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I also got some cooper cobras for my car on monday. I was in the same rat hole suprarox85 was in, tires worn like a mofo. Both rears and driver side front were already showing metal wires. I dive to school and work 120mile a day. They were the only tires i could find for my car, the other ones were falcons but they had to be orderd and would not arrive till friday. I still orderd the falcon those are goin on the blue supra. I really haven driven the car enough to give a report, but when i do i will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts