Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Cosmoline

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pdupler 
#1 ·
Did MKII's come with Cosmoline (waxy, sticky protective spray, often used in military stuff, firearms and some auto manufacturers during transport) from the factory, as a part of Toyoguard or was it not offered at all? My car is covered in this nasty stuff inside most every nook and cranny and I'm trying to figure out where it came from. All inner wheel wells, inner door metal, engine bay, heck, even inside the hood braces. I don't recall any of my 84/85 Celicas having this.

Inside one of the rear quarter panels:

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe a Dealer installed item...

Reactions: ddd228
#4 ·
No, no mk2s came with that, but a common thing to do when they were new and sold somewhere inside the rust belt.Its not the worst thing in the world. The spray on painted flat surfaces doesn't do much of anything, but if the installer had the fortitude to spray it heavily into all of the little cracks and seams that the factory didn't bother sealing, it can be very beneficial. I've never actually seen it done right from one of these outfits mind you.

My parents have an 09 Matrix that lived its first few years in Ontario. They covered the entire engine bay sheet metal with that stuff, an area that doesn't actually rust out. Super gross under the hood on that thing.

#5 ·
Much appreciated. Based on your other threads, the problem areas don't seem to have been protected much, but I haven't found much of any rust in any of those areas. Ironically, most of the rust I've found is light surface stuff on the front of the car. Headlight frames, radiator brackets, etc. Also this cosmoline is horrible under the hood. Every bit of road grime is stuck to it. Not looking forward to cleaning that up.

#7 ·
along with other engineer thought up "Brilliant" ideas this make me want to find the person who did it and throttle them...

#8 ·
I've never dealt with the Cosmoline, but I did restore the engine bay of a Colorado car that had been treated with that black, tar-based rustproofing. They put it on everywhere. They even removed the hood blanket, sprayed the underside of the hood and put the hood blanket back on. Just ridiculous. That stuff was awful. Nothing would dissolve it, abrasives would just gum up and blast media would just bounce right off. Had to carefully scrape it off with putty knives and Xacto blades. That was a pain with all the different shapes on the firewall and little nooks and crannies. Finally after getting it scraped down thin enough, I could rub off the last traces with acetone-soaked steel wool. And then of course, it was scratched all to hell which made prepping for repaint a much bigger task. I spent probably close to 100 hours on a job that should have been less than 20. I resolved after that I'd never buy a car that had rustproofing in the engine bay ever again. Here in America, we traditionally open our hoods at car shows so its important that the engine bay looks as good as the outside of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.