Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now, I am driving aorund in an '85 celica that just isnt fast enough to suit my tastes.
I have access to the skills, people, and shops to do just about any project I come up with, it's just a question of whether or not I can come up with the funds.
Heres my idea:
'85ish mkII (5 sp only)
convert to 6mge/7mge (cost/power differences?)
posssible turbo (6mgTe/7mgTe)
performance brakes
1" lower
fix any body damage and paint if required

My goal is 300-400 hp, without having to spend a lot of money, in something that I can drive without having to worrying about squirrelly handling and such.
I found one, mkII, sounds like its in pretty good condition, JMD 6mge installed 20k ago, all the options still work. The only problem, its about a 4100 km drive (round trip) to go get it. To get it to my front door, so far I've figured it out to be ~$5000 canadian (including border crossing). Is that worth it?
Also: what are the difference in work to install a 6m vs a 7m?

Thx for the help
Cam

Sorry if long

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum. Where in Canada are you?
The answers to your engine questions are in the FAQ at celicasupra.com
you can also check out the SONICsupra web site
sonic=(Supra Owners Network In Canada) About the best 7mgte conversion site around.
Good Luck with your project
-Wil in Calgary
82 Ptype

·
Registered
790 Posts
Uhm, one small point; you said "without having to worrying about squirrelly handling". My 5M-GE powered Mk II can get real tail-happy when you dump the clutch on a dry road (I'm guessing I'm pushing about 180-185 HP right now). A 6M-GTE or 7M-GTE Mk II is a great car, but would probably be a pain to launch (any owners of such cars, please feel free to correct me)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just a thought on launching... If someone was having issues launching (breaking tires loose) could they (I) just leave the Sub in the back and goto the drag on a full tank versus 1/4 tank?

Would the benifit of being able to launch at a higher RPM overshadow the losses in HP/weight ratio?

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
hey. Yeah where are you located? A few things about bringing that car over just in case you didn't know. At the border they will ding you 7% GST, 6.1% Duty then when you register it 7.5% PST if your in BC or another province with provincial sales tax. Theres also a few other loops you have to jump through, like giving US customs 72 hours notice that your bringing the car over and you can only do it between 8am and 4pm, and they are very anal about that. As for the handling of the mk2 with lots of power, nothing some good shocks, springs and tires can't fix.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew about the gst/pst, but from what i have heard older than 15 years was exempt...:S ah aww
i live in langley right now, and am having very little luck finding anything remotely nice for sale in bc
sorry for any typing mistake i make, broke hand earlier today..
by squirelly i meant that i still want to be able to drive in a straight line when it rains out... hard launch tail-happiness is to be expected...
thanks for all the help...

Cam

Langley BC

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
there are some clean mkIIs in alberta, quite a few infact.

i know of one thats almost mint, 84, leather, lowish km, red, clean recent paint, lots of other nice stuff, only problem is the guys looking for $5000 canadian.

couple others in town (edmonton) sitting at the 2-3000 dollar mark that are pretty nice.

would you like me to try and get some contact info on some of these cars, if theyre still for sale i might be able to hook you up with the owners.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My goal is 300-400 hp, without having to spend a lot of money, in something that I can drive without having to worrying about squirrelly handling and such.
Ok, 300 to 400hp for cheap? Not happening man. Even if you run a 7MGTE conversion, you have too rebuild the motor with at the very least a MHG and studs. Its also likely that you'll get a bad seal turbo on a JDM motor, more cash, not too mention the harnass and ECU, of course they can be had for cheap, I'm not a big 7M fan though. 6M is the best cheap power swap, although you start too talk about turboing it, more cost, and a good potential of blowing the motor up.

Squirrelly handling is gonna happen with 300+hp on a car with worn suspension that is not designed too handle 200+ hp let alone 400. You can add more money too that for some suspension.

If you're gonna get a mk2, you need too find a rust-ish free car. They are not impossible too find in Canada. My buddy found a really nice 84 for 2k Can. last year, although if you're really passionate about your mk2, its worth the trip too get a rust free car from the U.S.

If you're for sure for sure obsessed with a 400hp mk2, go 1JZ-GTE, but get ready too spend I figure a minumum of 8K too do it right with suspension and brakes too support it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cam,
My mildly modded 6M N/A won't do this. Just pulling out to pass at 60mph on a wet road requires judicious application of the throttle. Off the line in the wet can make you feel like you are in the geriatric (blue hair)driving class!

by squirelly i meant that i still want to be able to drive in a straight line when it rains out... hard launch tail-happiness is to be expected...
thanks for all the help...
Cam

With 4.30 LSD rear gears its even worse (better? hehe) The torque of a 6M makes all the difference in the world in terms of hook-up in the wet.
Jamie

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
5000 Can is a fair price for an 84 in really good condition and lowish kms.

the 15 year exemption thing is for the importation program. Thats nasty, they make you get a recal clearance letter from Toyota, modify the car to canadian spec (child restraint system, daytime running lights, etc), and pass a federal and provincial safety inspection. Its much simpler if the car is under 15 years, but you still have to pass the out of province inspection. And I'm not sure about the duty, they do charge it but I've heard its not necesarily as much as the 6.1 percent I was told.

Heres a link with the offical federal info on it...

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

It is possible to find a nice mk2 here in the lower mainland, but you really, really have to stay on top of the local buy and sell. I spent over 8 months looking for a mint mk2 here. Almost all of the ones I went to look at were rust buckets, all three of the nicest ones I found I bought :D. I have a problem. Anyways, I was checking out the buy and sell in WA and there seemed to be alot more of them down there, which is to be expected as they have a much larger population base. But any, and I mean any mk2 you buy from Canda or any of the states that get regular rain and/or snow will have rotten rear quaters on the insides at the very least. Even 1 owner garage kept its entire life cars from here have it, theres no avoiding it. If you do find one then its either been fixed, been parked for most of its life (under 100k kms on it), or its a fairly recent american import and from a warm dry arid state.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Before you start throwing horsepower numbers around, please remember that the MkII is a relatively light car.

Power to weight ratio is more important than just power.

The stock MkIV Supra has a power/weight ratio of 10.7 lbs per bhp.
For a MkII to get in the same league it needs 280bhp. That's approx. 238rwhp, which is easy as pie with a 7M-GTE.

That will be a fast, reliable car. Faster than you can handle I suspect.

Hope that helps shed some light on your situation.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the one in cali sold, so thats no longer a consideration...
and yeah, im not that knowledgabl;e in the mkII specs as of yet, basing my guesses between my '85 celica, and my friends mkIII
as to wether i can handle it, i wont know til i try, it end up having it stock for a while anyway before doing mods, so the handling i would be used to.
i was looking at a buncha different cars, but now ive narrowed it down to 2, an 87 mr2 n/a, or a mkII supra. im trying to figure out the price/potential of them in as fast as possible method, the insurance is $1 a month difference, so that isnt a factor.
dogstar: could you tell me a bit more about those cars? thx
again sorry for any typing mistaes, left hand still not so good at typing...

Cam

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Set the way back machine for 2003......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts