Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok these coilovers are off an old honda accord wagon, and 400lb springs. the front springs are 7 inches long, and the rears are 8 1/2 inches long. the outside diameter is 3 1/2in and inside diameter is 2 1/2in.
i found a thread on how to work with the front suspension, all i am using off the front coilover is the spring and adjuster. i think it will work. but the rear?? i need help and apinions ...i took my rear strut off and put the shock where it would go, and the shock is to big around to fit in the shock tower. could i bend shock tower in alittle (bout a inch) or maybe make a adapter for the top to mount? i think i could bend it in enough to clear, but the shock tower wall is pretty thick.lol the rear bottom shock mount will need to be modified or cut, and my old strut mount welded in place.

the front shock on top, and rear shock on bottom.

the whole rear coilover is 20in-24in long.

top view of the rear shock.

side view of the top perch. could i cut some off the diameter of the top perch for more clearance?? b/c it is bout 1/4 in bigger than the shock all around. or atleast cut off some of the side that will be facing the strut tower?

by the way i changed out the top perches.. so the front coilover has the rear coilovers perch, and the rears have the fronts..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i am up to buying some used suspension still in good shape, that will work on my supra.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
you might be able to use them if you got top hats for them.

JUST the coilovers you obviously know not the strut housing in any way.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for the front or rear?? the rear is long enough...i measured stock rear shock tube extended, and the rear coilovers i will be using. the stock is like 23 inches and the ones i will use are 24 extended all the way out. and 20 all the way in.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
We're talking fronts here. You could use the coil-over assembly (NOT Strut) on the fronts. The rears look like you'd need top hats, and MAKE SURE you gusset/weld in reinforcements onto the lower shock mount (where you'd attach a rear coil-over), as it was NEVER designed to carry the entire rear weight of the vehicle. Also the lower mounts on your actual rear coil-over would have to be modified. You'd have to cut off the bracket you have and weld on a piece of pipe that's the proper diameter for the bushing and make it the proper width as well. The lower mounting bracket on your rear coil-over is different from what will simply bolt on.

ALSO, I would HIGHLY suggest a rear shock tower brace, you can make your own from pipe smashed flat with holes drilled in it (what I did) or go super el-cheapo and use 1" angle iron, or go the very nice way and get one of the rear braces that are actually made for our cars which start around $100. DO NOT BEND THE REAR SHOCK TOWER Our cars are wiggly enough as it is, you'll just make it worse. You want a more responsive ride, not the other way around :D (at least I'm figuring as much since you're looking into coil-over installation & options).

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Telling him these will work on his car seems unwise. If that was the case, don't you think all the coil over manufacturers would list Honda and Toyota coil overs as the same number? The threaded collar is probably not the right diameter. The top hat is missing. About the only thing that would work is the spring. Better off just buying something that fits our cars in my opinion.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i plan on getting the front done this weekend. and the rear needs some thinking.... but i planned on beefing up the lower rear mounts lol..just a darn stud lol...and at the top it will need some kinda way to space the shock out from the original mount... i am goin threw in my head how to do that. i think i have a pretty good idea..but it wont be done this week tho....lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ra24man....at the moment i aint making any cash lol..but i think i can get these to work....maybe.. and i know these are way different than the supra shocks lol but i am pretty sure the collar will fit over the front shocks...the one on the aftermarket honda shocks is pretty big in diameter.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Those front collars dont look large enough in ID-They need to be 2inch to fit Supra. Some Honda stuff is 1-7/8.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just measured the collar with calipers, inside smallest diameter is exactly 2in.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
since they are 2in i can use them right?? cus i want to have the front suspension done by the end of the weekend... all i need to do is cut the bottom perch and leave alittle lip sticking out for the collar, and work on the top perch, to make it fit the spring diameter. and cut the bump stop off of the rubber sleeve, and leave the bump stop in place. that sound about right?? im thinking about going with agx short stroke shocks on the rear and putting my spring and collar on them and getting my C.A.D class to make me a top perch out of aluminum.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Mark, (ra24man) is absolutely right. I should not have made a positive statement that they will work. Top hats are needed, measurements of the collar I'd would need to match the strut, a top hat is necessary, and overall strut length would need to be considered. I apologize for my hastiness.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol...well the shock kit that 935, and some other place sells has 7in front springs. so i figure these would work. just get the top hat to work or get one made. i will make sure fri..when i start tearing er down:naughty:.... i will let yall know...but some positive encouragement would be a plus lol:thumbsup: thanks!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright guys...putting the shocks together tomoro. i had to bore out the adjuster collar like 20,000 of an inch. lol but they fit niclely now. got to cut the bottom perch down and leave a little flange sticking out to hold the collar. and may weld a peice of flat metal on its side, onto the top hat, to fit around these springs. and then they need some fresh paint:naughty:. springs are going to be orange, and the rest back to shinny black, may paint the adjusters silver or something idk... also while im down there i am going to paint my calipers orange!!:thumbsup: i will be sure to post some pics of my work!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
well play at your own risk. as, i have to go with mark and the others, sure, you may not be making cash, but the risk of damaging it may cost more than the money you're saving. dont rush things, and get things that are proven to fit our cars, not proven for disaster, as that is not what im wishing or calling for either.
i admire ingenuity, and being a self-starter, nonetheless good luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys this is the 7 dolar front shock conversion:naughty:...only had to buy some orange paint ha!!...i got these shocks on last night at bout 9 o,clock! and they work awesomely. bad thing is i got them adjusted all the way down and it is still at the stock height...but besides that..i love them!! now all i need is stiffer springs in the back...but that will come when i make about 250 bucks.. here is some pics of my shocks when i am about to put them on... i didnt have black paint so i had to use silver on the top hat, b/c i had to weld to it...it might look like crap but nobody can see them anyways lol... and thats one of my motocross atvs in the back ground...

here is a pic of my car today...spent a few hours detailing her. it sits the same height.

check out my very very bald tires:SM130 (1):

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
for the price of coil-over sleeves, I wouldn't have done what you did. There is a group buy going on right now as well. Your car is too clean for cheap mock ups.....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but with a guy with no job...and trying to get a 7mgte back together, ...well you get the picture lol. anyways i love the shocks tho.. rattles your brains on ruff bridges or bad roads, but idc bout that. i want handling over ride comfort. i think i did a pretty darn good job. for my first shock conversion. and thanks im glad you like my baby, i try to take care of her ! ha

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
not bad, but i dont understand why coilovers if all it did was stiffen up the ride, but kept the height the same. if stiffeness is what you're going for, i guess you've addressed it, but height is another. if height was lowered, you'd prolly get less body roll...but is this any worse or more, than cutting front springs...idk. on the other hand, your car, your satisfaction!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts