Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are already aware, I plan on competing at the Grand Touring level of the Targa Newfoundland, in 2014. The event will take place in mid-September, just as it does every year, and is located in St. Johns, NL. More info here!

This will be the first event of this kind for me, so there are a lot of things that have to be accomplished before it takes place. Hence this thread being made a year in advance. I figure this will be a good opportunity to share the trials and tribulations with the community. A good chance to learn some things from me, as well as a great opportunity for me to gather information from my more experienced peers.

A list of things that I know I need to accomplish between now and then:
-Finish the build on my car.
-Acquire the proper paperwork (licensing, insurance, physical, etc..).
-Find a qualified and eager Co-Driver. This will become increasing important as time goes by.
-Hours of practice sessions. Both solo and with a Co-Driver, both on road and on track. It is imperative that I know both my car and my accomplice through and through!
-Transport preparation. It's 3400 miles one way from my door to St John's!.
-Learning as much about this type of event, as well as many similar events as possible prior to the event. I've never done this before.
-Ensure that all steps have to been taken with the car, and the occupants, to meet and exceed all safety standards for the event.

There will of course be many things to come, and it may be a good amount of time before this thread gets much attention. As I am working with a limited budget and timeline. Neither of which will have much room to stray. So, any thoughts, advice, questions, or general confusion is welcome. For I am sure to have all of these myself as time pushes forward.

I am truly excited for what lies ahead. Stay tuned! :good:

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a great event, the local subaru dealer in town (where I bought our 02 WRX) enters every year! Any info you need on this side of the border just ask and I'll help if I can. Good Luck with this venture.

Neil

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have a cage yet do you?
Andy, a cage is only necessary for Targa event. The Grand Touring event is a Time-Speed-Distance event for cars that are not prepped for racing. Convertible cars are the only ones in this class that need a cage. If my information is correct. I'll verify when I can. If I ended up needing a cage, I might just back down to the Fast Tour. Being that its my first time, it may be an appropriate option either way.

Neil, I appreciate the info. I'll let you know if I need anything.

- Dustin -

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
As some of you are already aware, I plan on competing at the Grand Touring level of the Targa Newfoundland, in 2014. The event will take place in mid-September, just as it does every year, and is located in St. Johns, NL...
There will of course be many things to come, and it may be a good amount of time before this thread gets much attention. As I am working with a limited budget and timeline. Neither of which will have much room to stray. So, any thoughts, advice, questions, or general confusion is welcome. For I am sure to have all of these myself as time pushes forward...

I am truly excited for what lies ahead. Stay tuned! :good:
Wow, THE race event I've been anxiously awaiting :zzzzz:

It'll take some time, planning and convincing to put things in place to make it work, but I would like to commit in some capacity, logistics, photographer, whatever to lighten your load...hopefully make it over to the Rock with ya. This will be one helluva an amazing, unforgettable experience for all involved!! :cool:

Glad you pulled the trigger on 2014, Dustin!! :woot:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, no real news towards the big event. Still too soon for that. Though, I have decided to use my time wisely until the real fun begins. Spent some time at On-Track Go Karting today in Middleton, CT. Going to head back tomorrow as well. I figure track experience is valuable in just about any form at this point. So I will be attending as many go kart tracks as possible between now and the Targa.

For physical conditioning I've upped my gym routine and started training in a much more endurance related manner. I want to cut as much fatigue between now and then as possible.

For mental conditioning I've begun re-watching a few documentaries and old racing movies, such as "Love The Beast. Which is Eric Bana's personal journey into the Targa Tasmania. I've also picked up a few training exercises to increase my focus levels and reaction times. One of which involves simply bouncing a tennis ball off of the wall. Catching the ball in the opposite hand each time. Should also strengthen my balance and help to equal out my left to right abilities.

I may be taking this a bit more seriously than others might, but I am taking a few risks with this venture. As well, I am hoping to make this more than just a hobby.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Go karting is great...it's all about focus. Nothing like the real thing, but video games can also help practice speed skills without personal risk, even closely simulate a MkII for handling, but I imagine you'd have to put alot of time in behind the wheel to score the kind of performance you'll have in real time!
BTW I'll chat up my neighbour, he's entered Targa NFLD twice, no doubt he's got some good advice to share. :woot:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andy, thats exactly my thoughts. I dont wish for anything to happen to me, my co driver, or my car. As far as emotional attachment, I'll be honest, I love this car. Its my first real attempt at a complete build. Its not an heir loom, wasn't a gift from someone, and I have tried to sell it once or twice. So despite how much I care for her, at the end of the day she's still just a car. Not that I'm going to attempt to sling her in the trees or anything. And reaching her limits is probably not going to happen either. I more than likely will step down to the Fast Tour. Just so there are no unnecessary pressures. Keeping in mind that the last time I really drove her, she was stock car with 185,000 miles on the clock. Minus the 6mge swap and some new wheels. So shes not the same car as when I first got her, and im not the same guy behind the wheel. But I love do competition.

George, any information would be great. I grew up on Gran Turismo and have also built a pretty slick MK2, or seven, on Forza Motorsports. So I've definitely gotten the controller time in. I unfortunately did not have the room necessary to bring my Playstation or XBOX along with me. Though I may be picking one of them up when I head back home for Thanksgiving. Thanks for reminding me!

-Dustin-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Andy, a cage is only necessary for Targa event. The Grand Touring event is a Time-Speed-Distance event for cars that are not prepped for racing. Convertible cars are the only ones in this class that need a cage. If my information is correct. I'll verify when I can. If I ended up needing a cage, I might just back down to the Fast Tour. Being that its my first time, it may be an appropriate option either way.

Neil, I appreciate the info. I'll let you know if I need anything.

- Dustin -
As an update our local guy WON the open class........good luck in the GT class

Neil

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Email I received this morning from Darren Shepherd, Targa Registrar.

Hi everyone,

For the convenience of competitors and teams, and as a result of feedback received, we have now released our Targa Newfoundland 2014 dates. The event will be held on September 14th to the 19th, which is the 3rd week in September. You will notice we have shortened the event on both sides of the schedule. Under the new schedule you will be able to arrive on Saturday and leave on the following Saturday if you wish. Registration and tech will take place on Sunday morning. Prologue will begin in the afternoon, as per past schedules. From Monday to Friday we will be on the road competing legs 1 to 5, ending on the waterfront Friday afternoon/evening, during which time the full awards presentations will occur. Awards photo op’s will be provided for. For those interested in the Targa Driving School, it will be held Saturday, September 13th on Bell Island.

Below is the link to the release, with some modifications, from Inside Track Magazine. This is currently the release about Targa Newfoundland on their site:

http://www.insidetracknews.com/news/press-releases/item/2523-targa-newfoundland-sets-september-14-19-dates-for-2014-rally.html

Stay tuned for further exciting announcements coming this month.

From now on, I will be emailing each and every one of you media releases. This will keep you up to date on any and all things Targa that you may not read or hear about otherwise. Each release Doug or I make is then posted to our websites (www.targanewfoundland.com and www.facebook.com/targaNL). Please “like” our Facebook page, as I personally update the thing and I like to feel like I have a personal fan club J

Please contact me regarding any questions, concerns, or help with registration for Targa Newfoundland 2014. I hope to see you all again in 11 months.

Cheers,

Darren

-Dustin-

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like its a sign, leg one kicks off on, Sept 14th. Which will be my 28th birthday.

-Dustin-

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is an excerpt from the Gran Touring info sheet about how the division is scored.

How it's scored

Because you are assigned an exact speed to travel at and the length of the stage is known, the organizers have calculated at exactly what time you should cross the timing line. This is calculated to the exact second and is a measure of the time from when you started the stage to when you finished. A penalty of 1 point per second EARLY or LATE is assigned if you are off this target time. Now before you go ‘But it's impossible to be that precise!!' there is a margin of error that is allowed. On day one of the event, this margin is a whopping 30 seconds decreasing each day down to 3 seconds by the final day. This gives the new competitor the chance to ‘learn the ropes' and get some experience before timing starts to get really critical.

So, let's say you have a stage that has a target time of 6 minutes 15 seconds; you were booting it along pretty good and finished the stage in 6 minutes even. Well on day one, being 15 seconds off of target time is not an issue because you have a 30 second margin. However by day 5, the margin is just 3 seconds so, 15 seconds early - 3 second margin = 12 seconds off and a twelve point penalty will be assigned. Considering that the top finishers usually have less than 20 seconds in penalties for the entire week, you can see where it is important to maintain precision.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts