Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sucks. My windshield had a small leak on the top passenger side. So I bought some silicone and I was removing the metal strip surrounding the windshield. Well, as I was pulling one of the clips off I hear a "tink", and I though "oops, I broke one of the clips." Well, I look at my windshield to see a HUGE spidery crack. Well, I get all mad and swear at it, etc, and continue to remove the strip. A few minutes later, as I am putting the strip back on, I accidentally rested my hand on the windshield near where the crack was. It got much bigger. So now I have this monster network of cracks directly in my line of vision while I drive. You have no idea how much that pisses me off. Anyway, point is this: I heard of some glass-crack fixes, are they any good? Also, how much should I expect to pay to buy a used windshield and how much hassle to install? If it is a huge PITA (which I expect) how much is it to get done at a decent shop? I have never done any glass-work before so I have no idea what to expect. Thanks much in advance!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Man, that's a real bummer! Unfortunately, a repair kit isn't going to fix those numerous cracks that you describe. The TSRM gives a detailed description on how to replace the windshield. Local junkyards around here get about $30.00-$35.00 for a used windshield. The problem around here though is finding one that's in good shape and still has the upper tint that hasn't turned yellow from many years of bright sunlight. :? Patience, time, and the right materials are what you need to replace the windshield. The adhesive/sealant that you use is very critical. Generally, the adhesive/sealant is a urethane based product and you may still be able to get that from Toyota. If not, ask the people at the glass repair shop if the stuff they use is urethane based with a catalyst. Very important!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
you might as well buy a new windshield, they are not that expensive... and if you have comprehensive coverage your insurance company may cover it, i know that i only paid 250 for a new one in my 84 at triumph auto glass

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I just had a winshield replaced a few months ago and paid 180 for it... It is Discount Auto Glass... it is a brand new glass with the blue tint on the top too

Jay

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never really believed in that glass crack fixer anyway, just thought Id mention it. I didnt know they were that cheap, I thought they would be like 500 or so. Thats not too bad. Now I just hope that removal/install goes well, knowing my luck Id get a good one for cheap then destroy it installing it!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Check with your insurance company, some states require that insurance replace glass, no matter the circumstance, at no cost to the owner. When I lived in Kentucky the windshield of my Celica developed a crack and it was completely replaced with brand new glass at absolutely no cost to me. Call your insurance agent and ask if your state has similar regulations.

Life. A daring adventure or nothing.
Scott

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
see everyone thinks its expensive because the glass companies charge the insurance company almost double they would charge a customer w/o going through insurance, kinda baffles me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts