Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the timing belt in my '85 and I can't seem to get the crankshaft pulley off the front. I already sheared off the end of a 3/4" ratchet trying to loosen the set bolt. Its frozen on there pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with this or any nifty tricks to get it off? Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Use a half inch breaker bar and set it against the ground. Pull the coil wire and crank the engine over. Pop that sucker right off.

Christian

·
Registered
151 Posts
well there is always the big 3/4" gun... but you have to take the rad and condenser out of the way to make this happen or put in 5th gear (manual) and get a big breaker (I mean big) and crank that baby out with.

or take the motor out to get that bolt out (j/k) :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hit it with a torch until it is hot, then immediatley cool it with lubricant. This will shrink the threads on the bolt, and help get it out. The breaker bar and starter method works too. This is a good sign someone used an impact wrench on your crankshaft. Good luck.
-Toddb

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
wouldnt heating cause the front main seals to melt. Then youll have to replace that seal and some.

I always do it like Racefiend said when I cant take it off. :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are going thru the trouble to take off the pulley, why wouldnt you have new seals handy? When a timing belt is replaced, it is wise to replace all the seals (crank, cam, etc), since it sucks to do the same job twice.
-Toddb

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I had a lot of trouble getting the bolt off my 6m for like 3 weeks, i even used that new 1000 ft lbs IR 1/2 impact gun and that wouldn't work, but finally i used a chain wrench and let it sit against the water pump pulley then took a 1/2 in breaker bar with a 5 foot poll on the end and just pulled untill it broke loose. I don't know what it is but it seams like the face of the washer freezes to the pulley....I just finally got it off last night. The funniest thing is that the pulley slid off with no effort....if you have the engine in the car just try to use a poll thats not as long or really yank on the half in pry bar.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got It!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. In the end the method that worked was to use the starter. I put the breaker bar against the frame and it came off instantly. Anyone else ever need to do it, this is definetly the way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts