Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here is my question, i tried searching for my answer, but maybe not hard enough?
My problem is that my right side wheel sticks out more than my left wheel, i bought another LCA out of a supra for the left side and it's still inwards more than my right side wheel, i came to the conclusion that maybe my right side LCA is out of a cressida, causing it to stick out more? If so i'll just buy another one for the right side because i like how the right side sits. by the way i bought the car this way so just saying lol.

thanks for reading and hopefully someone here knows if the cressida LCA is what i have.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Oh boy. That is how I learned that our 2-tone has a bent frame in the front right corner. Is your engine centered left-right in the engine bay? Are there rub marks on the fan shroud from the fan hitting it? I really hope you don't have frame damage, and that it's a simple parts/alignment problem.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually the fan shroud was fine, no scratch marks at all, i read around that changing the strut tube out of a cressida or a celica i think can maybe be it?
but you just gave me the idea to measure between the strut/shock mounts and the valve covers on both sides, if centered right should they measure the same?

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
More likely to be a Celica Control arm/strut assembly. Some people think Celica and Supra stuff are the same. Enough of a difference to fit description.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More likely to be a Celica Control arm/strut assembly. Some people think Celica and Supra stuff are the same. Enough of a difference to fit description.
would that cause, the wheel to stick out more?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Check for any frame damage where the front crossmember connects to the actual frame its self.....dont ask how i know

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
Celica side would sit in more.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My son's car has the same problem. I told him he was hallucinating, but he convinced me. I thought his camber was off.. It drives incredibly straight and true, though. His looks a bit like positive camber (top of tire leaning outward) on passenger side front tire when compared to the other side.

Haven't had it aligned to see if that's it.
It's could be a bent tie rod or some other suspension component, but while installing some factory springs with one loop cut, we noticed that the driver's side with an uncut spring was STILL lower than the passenger side with a cut spring. A heavy driver who drives solo will notice that after a while, I guess. (previous owner?)

I just wonder whether that kind of uneven spring height can have a visual effect on suspension camber. Worn springs=negative camber. Fresher springs = positive-looking camber when compared to the saggy side.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check for any frame damage where the front crossmember connects to the actual frame its self.....dont ask how i know
zank, can you post a pic on how your xxr's sit on your blackpra?
if possible facing the front of the car either left or right side of the car would help, just want to see how they sit, thanks.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have a few pics to help explain the frame damage. I think this is the same as what Zank was talking about.

This is the passenger frame rail, looking down just behind where the front crossmember meets the frame. The frame's inside rail surface should be flat. Ours is bowed outward (towards the engine), and the forward part of the frame is bent down compared to the other side. The frame movement also made the crossmember bow downward, changing the pivot points of the lower control arms. The stock motor mount on that side was really bent, and I somehow replaced both mounts with polyurethane ones.

Here you will see that the front driver's wheel is flush with the fender flare. It should actually be IN just a little bit.

Now for comparison (even though it's not a perfect angle shot like the last one) the passenger wheel is pushed in just a little more than it should.

The driver's frame rail is fine, so I got another crossmember and I know of a good shop that can pull the frame and swap out the crossmember. This car was in an accident at some point, fixed and aligned to hide the frame damage, and traded off. A CARFAX report showed no accident at all, so you can't always rely on that to tell you a car's value. We bought the car at a used car lot for 3G's, and didn't find the damage for 3 weeks. It was bought "as-is", but as clean as it is, I still wouldn't want to give it up. Hindsight is 20/20 (gotta love how clear that is) and if I would've looked closer at this advertisement picture, I would've noticed the front wheel being too far back.

Sorry for the long story, but I hope it provides some useful information! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info road ripper, but i can't seem to find frame damage on my car, when i first pulled out my engine about 8 months back, to redo all gaskets and dropped it back in, the motor mounts aligned perfectly fine.

two months back i bought a supra lca out of an l type dropped it in and left side still sat in more than right side, maybe strut tube can be causing this? :32::32::32::32::32::32:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts