Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently bought my first '84 celicasupra 3 weeks ago and its been pretty good so far, minor problems, one of which is the cruise control doesnt work, the light comes on but the car never takes over the speed any ideas, not really a big deal right? but how many 24 year old cars still have working cruise control?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
the 83 before she went down had perfect CC, the 85, in as poor shape as it sounds, still has perfect CC.

Check the vacuum lines going to the CC unit in the engine bay.

Also, does that have the 85mph speedo or 130mph?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It could also be the computer for the CC. It is the green box on the pass side behind the kick panel.

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
Here's a silly question... are you turning to the switch to SET or are you just flipping the cc light on and expecting it to work?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
my 82 has non-functioning CC but I think it's because of the 85mph speedo and the speed sensor. they stop working if pegged at the 85mph max for too long. my 85 has working CC though, lowest I've gotten it to engage is at a little over 25mph, which I think is pretty cool :D especially for school zones.

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
Really? I thought our CCs didn't work until after 35mph. That's crazy!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
130mph speedometer doesnt work though...wish it did

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i know how to use it, and i've tried it on freeway speeds, still no cigar

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
maybe that's an issue with the CC... maybe not.

And T, read the owner's manual, CC can be set at 25mph and up. :)

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I don't even like cruise control that much. But I have a whole 84 parts car if you find the problem.

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
You guys are correct, start with fixing the Speedo issue.

I threw my CC away --- Don't need the extra weight under the hood :D Cruise - Delete, A/C - Delete, P/S - Delete.

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
My fuel filter sits where my cruise control actuator used to be, heh.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
As stated, the speedo needs to work for the speed sensor to work. That is because the speed sensor is one of the parts on the back of the speedo drive unit. I have torn enough of the clusters apart and there is a wheel in the back with a smooth smoth (magnet) and there is a pickup underneath that and it looks like a heat shrink wrapped resistor.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think i may be getting rid of the car.. not too worried

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no i ussually dont but an offer appeared and i want to take it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts