Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as of recently I've taken apart the cruise control and rear defrost switch so I can replace their bulbs. One of them has an orange cover and the other one has a green cover. I'd like to buy an orange bulb but I need help identifying the type of bulb used here.

Much appreciated.

Light Gadget Automotive lighting Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have not had this switch apart, but "back in the day" before LEDs were commonly used, coloured lights were created by having a 12V incandescent bulb covered with a coloured flexible cap.

Most styles of lamp and the coloured covers are available from this company:

Bulb Town - Source for old style Incandescent Lamps and coloured covers

Organge Coloured Cap for a T1-3/4 style Lamp

I'm sure other people have the correct bulb part number, but measure the diameter of the bulb as a starting point to determine the lamp part number.
It looks like the lamp has been placed in a socket. Can you remove it to take a picture so we can see the leads on the lamp?
The bulb voltage (12V for instance), the current rating (Amp), and the wattage rating, in addition to the lead style are all used to determine the correct replacement part.
The bulbs are available at this site.
One can replace these with LED's as well, but one can 'rock it old school' with the incandescent lamps to keep it original.

Dale

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
...or you can still order the bulbs from Toyota!

REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER SWITCH BULB

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Pattern

Toyodiy.com shows this is the part number for the Rear Window Defogger Switch for a 1984

ToyotaPartsDeal.com shows this to still be available

Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim Machine

The site indicates that this is for a Power Window Regulator Switch, but I suspect that this part is common.

CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH BULB

toyodiy.com

Rectangle Font Magenta Electric blue Logo

The same part number for the Cruise Control Switch Bulb. Hmmmm.

And toyodiy.com also shows another part number for the bulb.

Font Rectangle Electric blue Brand Logo

toyodiy.com normally gives the years that the parts are used for, but in this case they don't. It could be that the two bulbs are different because the 82/83 and the 84/85 models had different dash board pod switches.

toyotapartsdeal.com site

Product Automotive lighting Font Auto part Metal

The picture on the toyotapartsdeal.com site shows this to be a common type bulb.

I don't know if they come with the coloured sleeve that slips over the bulb. If they are a common part, they may not. But you can measure the diameter and length of the existing bulb. This will help identify the bulb type and then you could order the new sleeves from the site above.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...or you can still order the bulbs from Toyota!

REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER SWITCH BULB

View attachment 18037
Toyodiy.com shows this is the part number for the Rear Window Defogger Switch for a 1984

ToyotaPartsDeal.com shows this to still be available

View attachment 18038

The site indicates that this is for a Power Window Regulator Switch, but I suspect that this part is common.

CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH BULB

toyodiy.com

View attachment 18039
The same part number for the Cruise Control Switch Bulb. Hmmmm.

View attachment 18040

toyodiy.com normally gives the years that the parts are used for, but in this case they don't. It could be that the two bulbs are different because the 82/83 and the 84/85 models had different dash board pod switches.

toyotapartsdeal.com site

View attachment 18041
The picture on the toyotapartsdeal.com site shows this to be a common type bulb.

I don't know if they come with the coloured sleeve that slips over the bulb. If they are a common part, they may not. But you can measure the diameter and length of the existing bulb. This will help identify the bulb type and then you could order the new sleeves from the site above.
Hey man, thanks a lot for the info. I'll look into those and replace them with that bulb you sent me. I tried removing the bulb itself from the base but it seemed to be one single unit.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
And beating a dead horse but I figure in the future Toyota will run out of these lamps and it's nice to know that these parts are available other places.

This bulb type used to be very common for automotive switches. The base seems to be common and the height can vary, depending on the individual lamp.

The type is called a 'Neo-Wedge Base'. The lamps come in different sizes. The sizes are in a naming convention T1, T 1 1/4, and so on. This gives the lamp height and diameter.

The following is a link to a company called JKL Components Supply Corporation that has several different style parts.

Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Diagram

It looks like the bulb has 2 long leads that are inserted through 2 holes in the plastic base. The leads are then twisted around to form the electrical contact on the bottom and to ensure they don't fall out.

JKL - Neo Wedge Bulbs

This is one of their technical data sheets. There are several with different bulb heights.
The drawing mentions that there is a filter, which is the coloured cover that slips over what would otherwise be a white bulb.

JKL Bulb Covers - LOTS of colours

Again, perhaps too much information, but "just in case" I figured I'd put it here.
I haven't removed the bulb on one of my cars, so I'm not sure of the specific bulb size, but it looks like they would be available.

Dale

Reactions: dannoxyz

·
Registered
430 Posts
yes, the bulbs themselves are common items that are used with different bases for various applications.

First, test then bulbs to verify they are dead. Measure resistance across the leads or apply power & ground.

To remove and replace, unbend the wire leads so they are straight and pull out of socket. Insert new bulb and bend leads around base same way.

·
Registered
430 Posts

View attachment 18040

yup, they are different bulb assemblies. The 1.12w assembly uses short T1-1/4 bare bulb. While 1.4w assembly uses T1-3/4 bulb which is about twice as long.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Many moons ago I tooked mine apart to paint the black plastic that akways turn gray...

It would be the shorter ones 1 1/4 then, as they were pretty short, abd matches dimensions provided above.

You did serious research Dave! 👍

Reactions: dannoxyz

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Many moons ago I tooked mine apart to paint the black plastic that akways turn gray...

It would be the shorter ones 1 1/4 then, as they were pretty short, abd matches dimensions provided above.

You did serious research Dave! 👍
I haven't had my dash switches apart so I don't know the exact bulb dimensions so it's good to hear what they are.

A while ago I was restoring some old audio equipment and came across those two sites that sell older lamps. I thought I would throw my two cents in.
It looks like there are some sites that sell these bases with LEDs. I'm more into restoring to original condition so I like the incandescent bulbs with the coloured sleeves. It's sort of 'quaint'. It's also easier to make whatever colour you want, rather than trying to find LEDs in the correct colour AND with the correct base AND in the correct current draw.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Rectangle Multimedia

Superbrightleds.com

For the record, T-1 1/4 means that the bulb is Tubular and it is 1 1/4 times 1/8" in diameter. This is roughly equivalent to 4mm.
For LEDs, I think that they are polarity sensitive, so if you put them in backwards, they won't light.

Anyways, it's sort of fun to research this stuff.

Dale

Reactions: ddd228 and Tanya
1 - 9 of 9 Posts