Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, having trouble with my cruise control. The main switch lights up fine when i turn it on, but im unable to get the cc to do anything? I've checked the easy plugs to get to, and recently got the wiring diagram from an Aussie mate. Prob is that I've got the cc in a car that was originally an auto, but now runs an engine and gearbox from manual(in Oz the manuals didn't come with cc). Was wondering, if i don't have the neutral start switch, or the clutch switch(there isn't one) connected, will the cc operate, or will it be sensing that it's "deactivated". Any help would be much appreciated.
At the moment I'm waiting for the chance to get hold of a multimeter to do some testing, but that'll be a while.
Thanks in advance
Cossie

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sure you've thought of this already but have you topped off your brake fluid? My 85s fluid was in operating range but not at the Max line and that's what was not letting my cc engage. I topped it off and works fine now.
Just a thought

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The cruise control computer interfaces with the auto trans. ECT ECU so that could be where the problem lies as well. Have you swapped the auto trans. engine ECU for a manual trans. ECU and removed the ECT ECU?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Did the problem start when you did the tranny swap? If so, it must be related...

It may be as simple as needing to short the two wires in the neutral start safety switch which you may have left hanging down, disconnected, near the tranny.
As Dave mentioned, the ECT computer (tranny computer, located behind the rear seat right side panel, above the rear armrest) interfaces with the cruise control computer. Maybe you need to change engine ECU's to a manual one and disconnect the ECT computer. Or just disconnec the ECT computer.... Not sure on that one.
I've also seen cruise control actuators (under the hood) develop vacuum leaks and stop working.
Long shots.... It could be a faulty cruise control computer in the right side kickpanel or a faulty speed sensor if you have a digi dash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cruise not working

It wasn't just a straight transmission swap. I actually wrote off the first supra that i had, then managed to pick up another one cheap with a good body. First car's engine and man. trans went into the shell of the second car, which had cc. All the wiring and computers/dash were kept from the second car, and just hooked up to the engine/trans.
My speedo is always jumping round(digi dash) up and down within a range of 10km/h, could this be a prob.
Also when i have too much current getting drawn (either headlights on full, or when stereo's up and i hit Brake lights) the whole digi dash goes dead. No probs with the running of the car, just that i don't have any instruments till the current drops again. In gear when i acc the car(only under load, not in neutral) the current from the alternator seems to improve, and I get the dash lights back, but this never happens in top gear, and only under hard acceleration?????
Any ideas to fix both probs would be great.
Thanks guys and gals
Cossie

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
You might try checking all of the electrical ground connections on the wire harness that you swapped just to make sure that you didn't miss any connections. Are you running the stock alternator? Big stereos can draw a lot of current and place a heavy load on the stock alternator. Check the condition of your battery and alternator and think seriously about upgrading your alternator if you have a monster stereo setup.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Hey Cossie,

Remember I told you that I had a 'blacking out dash' a while ago? I did fix it by adding more grounding wires directly from the -ve part of the battery to other points in the engine bay and also replace the battery. I haven't had any problem with the dash yet. The only thing wrong with my car is the fuel economy :cry:

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts