Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have searched for an answer to this problem, but everyone says different things, and i dont know what is right!!!!
I have a problem with my '84, a lot of the time it just clicks when i turn the ignition, nothing else. It happens at various times, the morning, after not running it for a while and once after a long drive... it will always start, but sometimes it takes literally 20-30 clicks.... is it the CSITS, a relay or starter contacts? or is there a bigger problem?

also there is a squeak from the engine every so often, and usually happens at the same distance when driven, but its hard to judge. If i depress the clutch it goes.... not too sure what it could be.
similar thing happens with the digi dash, when the lights are on and im doing 100km/h the dash just goes off... got a new battery but it didnt help.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks heaps!!!!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
check transmission oil level for the squeak or your clutch pad. as for the clicking. sounds to me like a selenoid is out(dirty contracts). if your up for it it probably couldn't hurt to rebuild your starter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dude your starter selenoid is gone. 1st it happens once awhile, then it got worse and worse right. Soon it wont start. That is what happened to my. I 1st thought it was the alternator.
thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks heaps guys!! what exactly is involved in rebuilding a starter? not too hard for an ameteur is it? or should i have it professionally checked?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get one from the junkyard, it is usually about $25. If you decide to rebuilt one becareful when taking out the seleniod. It falls apart easily and hard to put it back.
thanks!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i'm not saying its not the solenoid, but check the battery terminals for corrosion and the the connection at the starter, i had a 2000 solara come into work the other day complaining of a no start, it gave all the signs of needing a starter but i serviced the battery and connection at the starter and bam, started right up.......rebuilding a starter is not that bad, the main issue with are supras are they are a bitch to get off....lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
supraii said:
Dude your starter selenoid is gone. 1st it happens once awhile, then it got worse and worse right. Soon it wont start. That is what happened to my. I 1st thought it was the alternator.
thanks!
Yep. I replaced the starter, car starts up everytime perfectly now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hehe
Actually all you need is replace the seleniod, but in my case i couldnt put it back togather once it got losed.
thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, a few things in the mkii were placed in odd places...
i'm not too mechanically good, so i guess i wont try rebuilding the starter myself, probably go to the wreckers and get one, then the fun begins of trying to switch the two...hehe

thanks for the help!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts