Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so recently my 85 gave me a big ol' scare as it started knocking. I traced the noise to bad lifter on the driver side, while removing parts, my intake tube broke like a piece of old bread. I've seen plenty of posts of members using 3in exhaust and the like to make a custom intake tube and I thought I'd expand by making a detailed write up on how to make your own. I bought a Hedman exhaust J pipe from Amazon, Hedman 12063. You'll also need 2 3in couplers, (you can also buy long silicone hose and just cut to length you need)and 1 3in to 2.75in reducer for the throttle body and clamps... gotta be bigger than 3in馃槕 as you still have to compensate for the thickness added by the coupler...I didnt馃槓 so save you time and money馃榿

This is it after the initial cuts. You can add extra material/lengthen the pipes, but they were plenty long for me. When trying to mark the pieces/cuts use a hose clamp to help you get a straight cut/mark.

With the pieces cut you'll end up with something that looks like this

I ended up making 2 more pie cuts on the longer piece to make it fit. Use a lubricant to help you slip in the hose at air box, but it wasn't overly tight, so no need for another reducer.

Once again use hose clamps to help you mark your pie cuts. Line the up the clamp so its parallel to the throttle pipe, mark and cut.

After 2 pie cuts I was happy with the fitment.

I decided to delete the vacuum lines for the P/S and moved the larger hose. Using the Spectre Performance 8711 vacuum adapter, cut a hole in the tube and using 5/8 fuel hose and some flexible copper tubing I made a new hose, as the old one was also i very bad shape.

Final product for me, as i didnt want to paint it and had some heat tape and heat wrap laying around.

All in all I spent around 70$ on all the materials and I think it looks pretty dam good. Just a few more things to end the write up:
-use string or wire and lay it on top of the pipe to help you measure the intial cuts
-make sure you cleaned and deburr your cuts and clean the pipes from the inside before final install
-the vacuum kit comes with a hole saw, but it wasnt very good
-if you mess up the cuts or if the pipes dont line up perfectly, the silicone hose gives you plenty of margin for error as theyll adjust, bend, flex to the pipes once everything is tight, so rather than throwing away or starting over, try a longer piece of hose or try tightening everything up.

Alright peeps, let me know what yous think.

Premium Member
WE LIKE THIS!!!!!!

Premium Member
Good going! The old diy intake tube write-up doesn't show up in search anymore so this will help the next gen.

Reactions: ddd228

Registered
Nice work. Can you tell the difference driving?

Last car I did this on was my 1985 BMW 535i, which used a flappy gate AFM very similar to the 5M. I could feel the throttle response difference by switching to a filter-on-a-stick like this, was a nice upgrade.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. Can you tell the difference driving?

I havent driven it. Still waiting on new lifters and timing parts, but with how old the engine and mine being a 4 speed, im not sure id be able to notice a difference. I wasnt really thinking about any gains, but now you're getting my hopes up馃馃槒

1 - 5 of 5 Posts