Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the forum, and new to Supra ownership. My son and I picked up a project car last week. 1979 - all body work and paint already done, runs well, interior trashed.

My question is specifically about what is under the dash pad. This car has the dash panel intact, but nothing on top. Does the plastic dash pad just sit on top, or is there some kind of supporting structure? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
There is a supporting structure and many screws to remove the dash pad. On the MK2 you remove the defroster vents to get to the screws. The other screws should be behind the gauge cluster and possibly behind the center heater vents. You have to look real hard to find them but it would help if you had a good used one to replace it with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I'm really asking pertains to a dash cap replacement. All I can find is the cap itself - usually made from ABS plastic - and it's supposed to just slip on top of your existing pad. From the picture you can see there is no pad at all. Would one of these after market caps work, or do I need to find an original pad first? And, along those lines, does anyone here have an old dash they would be willing to part with? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
No pad at all means you need a good used one. Not sure if there are aftermarket sources. You should post in the wanted section for used.

·
Founding Member
6,227 Posts
If like the mk2 dash and virtually every other car, there's a plastic/fiberglass structure that's the basic shape, covered in foam and wrapped in vinyl. You'll probably have to obtain a used replacement either from a salvage yard way up north where the sun doesn't shine or from someone on here who is parting out a mk1. Toyota ran out of mk2 replacement dash pads about 1998 I think it was so I'm sure mk1 pads were gone long before that. If all you can find is one cracked up like the grand canyon, then you might be able to send it to "Just Dashes" in California, they might be able to recover it with new foam and vinyl. I don't remember details of what the mk1 dash pad looks like but unfortunately Just Dashes is not an option for us mk2 owners because our dashes have two different "grain" patterns and faux stitching to imitate a sewn leather dash and they cannot reproduce that.

·
MGSS Afflicted
152 Posts
Welcome to Mk 1 ownership! Yes, you need the stock pad before you put any kind of cap on it. I have an uncracked tan one for sale, but probably more than you need because you are going to cover it anyway. I do know of a junkyard black pad that is cracked. Come join our 1st Gen Supra owners page where you will find lots of information, parts, a listing of vendors for our parts, and a registry of all known Mk 1/XX left in the world.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstgenerationsupraowners/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, suprarossa. I just sent in a join request to the group. I may be interested in the uncracked tan one. What are you asking for it? Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts