Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help identifying this tapping sound which has been getting worse over the last year. It only happens under very light loads and now, under WOT. The sound is absent with medium loads and idle.

My first impression was a wrist pin issue. Maybe it's detonation?

Stock motor w/ 171K miles. It's only mods are K&N filter, HKS DP and a HKS catback. No modified boost. Did advance the timing a while back to 12 deg BTDC. Lost my timing light so current check of it.

I know it's a Mk3 but any input would be great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkL_VujPeo

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Back the timing off a bit. Edit: I listened again on a real computer instead of my laptop. That's a rod knock

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Wade,

I have a few Spare Mint condition rods if that one is bad or going in the Direction. Also might have a Spare crank. Will let you know tomorrow. Just a Heads up to ya.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
I listened to it on my laptop lastnight - didn't hear that rod knock what I hear now on my home computer.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a rod? I really had to try and hit that sweet spot where it would tap. The last 3 revs didn't tap. Have never had a rod knock, but ones I have heard knocked across the rpm range reguardless of load. This only taps at certain loads.

Aaron, probably next summer. It should last till then. Also, we need to modify that sweet custom frontend on the 85.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Tired of the Aerodynamic header panel mod???

Mine will be pretty here in a couple days. Never enough time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts