Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is also my dentist that I do work for has this '83 car that IS pretty cool!
I wish that my winshield angle was like the De Lorean,except that the head room is terrible for anyone over 6' tall.
John De Lorean was 6' 4"!!!

The roof line is about 3" lower.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/WP_20160827_19_03_44_Pro_zpsxjhwyzcj.jpg.html][/URL]

He wants too much for that car : 70K.
He got a call from someone that offered 40K,the day after John died.
"No thanks"
It has a Renault drivedrain,engine and no P/S. 5 speed tranny.
Does not come with a flux capacitor.
This one ain't his:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6TxsmLQCQ&ab_channel=RUSLAN

·
Registered
491 Posts
Flux capacitor is exactly why I simply can't own one.. The constant questions would make me crazy, outside of that they have a very unique look that's rather cool!

EDIT: PS the MK2 looks way better, but that's just my opinion.

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Flux capacitor is exactly why I simply can't own one.. The constant questions would make me crazy, outside of that they have a very unique look that's rather cool!

EDIT: PS the MK2 looks way better, but that's just my opinion.
I think you are right. MK2 looks f-ing awesome!!! But for some reason I am constantly mistaken for being a Delorean owner...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
mkII IS better, in every way except the gull-wing doors and rust-proof panels. Most people are surprised how slow a Delorean actually is, and God forbid you ever get in an accident with steel body panels and a fibreglass frame to keep those panels from squishing you inside a tin can. I wouldn't trade straight across.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You mention the Gull wing doors as being better. I read a while back that was a safety concern that if you are on your side you can't get out of the car as easily.

Duane

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
The "promise" that the Delorean had during it's design and initial build was never realized.

All the major car magazines were quite disappointed with it when it finally made it on sale.

Just too many compromises.....

- Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
The "promise" that the Delorean had during it's design and initial build was never realized.

All the major car magazines were quite disappointed with it when it finally made it on sale.

Just too many compromises.....

- Jim
That's a shame cause you can see just how much potential that car actually had when you know the platform that the car is actually based on.

The shame that they handle so bad is criminal.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
It was originally going to be MID engined, rather than REAR engined, but the design and development cost was getting out of hand, so they took the easy way out. Basically took a front-engine/front-wheel drive drivetrain and hung it at the rear.

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
Yeah, some little kids ran up to my silver mk2 at a car show last year thinking it was a Delorean. They kind of figured out that it wasn't when they got close but still had to ask what it was, having been built 25 years before they were born. I figure their parents (or maybe grandparents even) probably showed them the movie as that too, was way before their time. Come to think of it, it was right after the October 2015 hoopla about the predictions (some of which were uncanny) so they probably saw it on TV. The one thing I never liked about those cars was that they could never make the plastic bumpers look anything like the rest of the stainless. I know its sacrilege but I kind of think they'd look way better painted.

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Yeah, some little kids ran up to my silver mk2 at a car show last year thinking it was a Delorean. They kind of figured out that it wasn't when they got close but still had to ask what it was, having been built 25 years before they were born. I figure their parents (or maybe grandparents even) probably showed them the movie as that too, was way before their time. Come to think of it, it was right after the October 2015 hoopla about the predictions (some of which were uncanny) so they probably saw it on TV. The one thing I never liked about those cars was that they could never make the plastic bumpers look anything like the rest of the stainless. I know its sacrilege but I kind of think they'd look way better painted.
Yeah, but the stainless steel construction makes it perfect for traveling through time

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Millenium Falcon was not stainless steel.
It was a composite alloy of duritainum cobalt for protection against gravimetric distortion and thermal variations.
The inner layer of the core, at fifteen centimeters, is the thickest and most important of the three. Constructed from
carbogermanium, this layer’s ceramic composite material is capable of withstanding high temperatures while
insulating against harmful radiation.

Later, named carbo-bugger-manium.

http://www.waxingmoondesign.com/WarpSystemTech.html

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I see these at local Cars N Coffee events, usually 3 or more at a time. I much prefer my MK2 and I know the MK2 is a better engineered machine. Surprising how much the DeLoreans are going for, I guess scarcity, but we got the better end of the deal, better cars that are more fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah, stainless steel might be the best material for time travel but what about underwear? Stainless steel SOUNDS like it would (did I really mean wood?) be ideal. But I seriously doubt anyone would buy in on the metal underwear plan. Good luck generating (ad)venture capital. I'd still be the first one in line for a time travel thrill ride though. Projected date and price, not that it's likely in my expected lifetime? I can write a check for any imaginable amount of imaginary money with the invisible crayons I bought for $19.95 plus shipping and handling. They're guaranteed to.... WTF? I can't see the guarantee anymore. At least they're not MICR crayons so the magnetic scanners won't be able to pick up how many Canadian pesos they're written for. That is unless they can already magically read invisible crayon. Then my absolutely huge imaginary investment portfolio (whatever a portfolio is) would be worth less than worthless. Drat!
Still, even in the best of circumstances, even this would never approach the value that investing in my 85P new has been worth to me. The "Get Out of Jail Free" card would be a close second though. That is, if it really works.... I hope....

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've always drawn parallels with the DeLorean, being the same era and similar shape. Also, having the digi-dash version, I always liken the speedo to the BTTF DeLorean's.

At least there's no question that the DeLorean had the looks - the brushed stainless steel and the instantly recognisable gullwings. The mk2 does look amazing, but the DeLorean is in a class of its own.

On a side note, the windshield was made wider than a normal car, so in a rollover where you couldn't open the doors, you'd be expected the kick the windshield out to escape.

As noted, the car's biggest problem was its wimpy drivetrain. The pathetic little mechanical-injection V6 just can't cut it - 130HP in the US models for emissions reasons. The rear-engine layout doesn't do the handling any favours either. The Supra eats it for breakfast. In Back To The Future, all the engine sounds were overdubbed - no way does the real-life DMC-12 sound that mean!

The DMC-12 does have a weight advantage of about 130KG on the Supra, but power to weight of the Supra still knocks it out of the ring (130.8 BHP/t vs 105.7).

I do have to say, I'd heard about how John DeLorean made the car specifically so it would comfortably sit a tall man, but seeing the roof line way lower than the mk2 is very surprising! Heck, I'm 5'11 and my hair touches the sunroof in the Supra (a good excuse to have the roof open as often as possible, in my book).

So yeah, other than looks, the Supra wins in every other way - power, seating (4 usable seats, plus another centre half-seat in Europe! We actually managed to squeeze my sister into this seat) and technology. I couldn't comment on how well the fibreglass chassis would hold up in a crash - modern fibreglass is very strong, but it was in its infancy back then. So I'd agree with those wanting predictable steel armour around them.

Thanks for putting these two side by side!

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Cars with low roof lines generally have really low mounted seats or extremely angled seats to get acceptable headroom.

Huge Back to the Future fan, but more so cause its such a good move and all of the mk2s in the first film then the delorean itself.

Speaking of other failed Exotics from roughly that era that tempt us, I finally killed my urges to pick up one of these (Bricklin)...

There's a dilapidated but not too far gone one just like that a couple blocks from me that's been sitting outside for at least 12 years. I've always been tempted to go knocking and save a Canadian made exotic from languishing in limbo any longer. Pros: Very cool looking, also gull wing doors, Canadian built, composite body, aluminum frame, easy to source mechanical parts. Then I just recently read up on them in detail. Cons: Super heavy (3500lbs), very low tech suspension and mechanicals (its basically an AMC Javalin), horrible build quality (turns out, built in New Brunswick Canada, which is pretty close to being built by Newfies :D), lots of quirks that were never worked out, weird rust and restoration challenges (steel doors that break with acrylic body panels bonded on). Good, I really don't need another project lol.

Still think they're kinda cool though.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Seamus, there's one other strike against Malcolm Bricklin. He also imported the infamous Yugo's, the worst POS car on the planet. MSRP $3995. Yeah, wrong. The story is that they only had rear window defrosters to keep your hands warm while pushing those POS's!
Still, I agree that in some ways it's a pretty cool car. But it also sounds like the same plan John De Lorean had but gone way more off track. Keep your sanity. Enjoy looking at it as you drive by and remember why you don't need another project, especially this one!

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
My friend that ran the Mobil station in my hometown had one.

It was always breaking down with electrical problems, and killing the battery.

When the battery died, you had no power for the hydraulic doors. There was some "secret handshake" way to get into the car when that happened, but I forget now what it was.

His had the AMC driveline, a 360 2-bbl, I think, and was a DAWG!

Nice looking, though.....

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Compared to the MK II,the De Lorean is not so stylish at all. Higher grille and NO head room.
May as well be a car that will be loved by it's owners. Not me.
They DO have their problems.The fan relays burn out and the engine overheats. Time for an LS-1 engine. It's been done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7f9eZCQc4M&ab_channel=RegularCars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tJ0KlyUqpE&ab_channel=NicholasRoedl
I wouldn't mind hacking into that chassis at all.
It would be at least be a fast car.
I would run a powerglide tranny,though.
Actually you can buy a 2016 DeLorean from the guy in Texas that bought the car parts.
But WHY?

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
I don't think they have "approval" to sell complete, new cars yet. There's legislation afoot to allow the DOT to approve the sale of "reproduction" cars as long as they meet current emissions regulations, but I haven't bothered to check the status of it.

They sure a good selection of used, very low mileage ones, though.

- Jim

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Seamus, there's one other strike against Malcolm Bricklin. He also imported the infamous Yugo's, the worst POS car on the planet.
Well if you're going to judge the Bricklin car by Malcolm's other ventures then you can remove one strike because he is also the original importer of Subaru's into north america ;) He sold the importation rights after selling them for awhile, but he gets the nod for bringing Fuji International here.

Yeah, I have read all the horror stories on the Bricklin. The hydraulic door system was a complete failure. The lead engineer on the project actually developed an air based replacement for it after the company went down and he still sells the kit today. The vast majority of surviving Bricklins have already been converted to it. There is an access panel in the doors to manually unlock them, but often they will break if you try and lift them at the base lol. If I was to get this car, my plan was to put a 2jzgte into it and completely rewire the entire car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts