Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have finally decided on a choice of engines. I outweighed the pros and cons 4 me and decided that the 7m path is the way to go.
What I'm looking 4 is any input on ways to help the process work better. What kind of snags that you found and how you corrected it. Everyone has different ideas on the BEST way. I'd like you to share the experences to help me in my quest to turboland
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Congrats on making your decision, Mark. I would talk to Jim King about some of the wiring issues you will encounter. Are you getting the engine/front clip from Phil? So is this project moving forward now, or are you going to wait until next Winter?

Josh has made the same decision and is looking for a 7mgte donor.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have decided on the same swap. Now I just need some money and I can get shopping for a donor car. 8) Probably gonna get rims, tires, new brakes, and whatever suspension upgrades I can find first.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Mark, this is the best way to go. You won't be disappointed. Since both of us have 82's we should be able to help each other a whole big bunch!
What's your project time frame?

Seeya,

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
I haven't done the 7m swap myself but I've seen several of Don's and one other done by someone else. I chose the 6mgte route but that was before there was any information about 7mgte swapping process and if I had it to do over again (and I do have more supras to try if I want) I'd go 7m. I had given it quite a bit of thought and the one thing I would try to do myself is to buy a mk3 that was not so badly wrecked that I couldn't drive it. I think it would be very good if you could have the 7m-gte purring like a kitten while its still in the donor car. That way you work out any bugs before the swap. If anything is wrong after the swap, you won't be chasing you tail trying to figure out what you did wrong when it was something as simple as a bad injector to begin with.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome advice so far guys. Very inspiring. Keep the line moving.And thanks again
Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mark

Hows it going?

Joseph in Buffalo is doing the same swap with the same year cars, you guys could help eachother out immensely. Give him a shout.

Good luck with the swap, The induce lots of head-aches but are usually worth it in the end.

Nick

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why yes it does Rock.
By the way how in the hell r ya.
Congrats on the new addition. I guess life will b busy 4 awhile.
I'm not sure of the asking price of the 6m, I think around 650 / 700?.
Still pulls like a b!t(h!

P.S thanks Nick, Hows the 2j comming along
Later
Mark

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mark,,,

things are very well,,, 3 wonderful kids and a great wife,,,

Supra received a face lift over the winter, new interior.

Car is driving tight and reliable, I will try to make one of the next two meets in Toronto.

I am very interested in your 6m,,,,, as you may have noticed last summer as I was bugging you a lot for it.

How much mileage on it ???? What have you done to it, and what will it come with,,,, header, and such??

Your price is fair,,,, all I need is more detail,, and when it would be available.

Keep me posted,,,,

Rock/

·
Registered
174 Posts
hey im also doing an 7mgte swap into my 82, still working on the rebuild and money is a little tight right now (starving student and all) but in the next week or so the supra is coming of the road and the prep work and wiring is going to start, also body work, got a erebuni body kit that is going to be going on as well.
anyone doing this swap in the near future (next month or two) who wants to email with questions and solutions pm me
Scott
82 ptype

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This will be a fall transplant. As for the hedder. Dean has already got 1 st dibs on it. The motor hasn't been cracked open. It has about 80 k on it. I certianly will miss the excessive throttle responce from it thats 4 sure.
The top of the engine will need some gasket replacing. However other
than that the engine is mint. :D :D
Later and congrats again
Mark

·
Registered
368 Posts
No problem for the header,,,,,

As for a fall transplant,,, works out good for me,,,,

My car sits all winter anyways,,

Let me know what you want to do regarding financial details,,,,

We'll go over the details in person next time we meet,,, probably in the next 4-6 weeks when I head over your way,,,,

Good luck on all the details for the swap,,,

Rock/

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I get an 87 - 88 motor Do I need a 87 - 88 computer or will any mkIII computer do with minor adjustment
Later

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do I need a 87 - 88 computer or will any mkIII computer do with minor adjustment
The 87-88 ECU's have a different harnass connection type then the 89+, I'm pretty sure you have too match harnass and ECU years.

I think a 7MGTE is a good idea over a 6MGE since you have esentially the same motor, with a higher flow head, stronger ignition and all sorts of things poured over by smart little japanese guys specifically too make the motor turbo ready. Not too mention fuel map for much bigger injectors factory ect.

Just make sure you put a metal head gasket on it, and change that timing belt.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
I bought my car as a potential swap vehicle-I could not agree more with the idea of buying a Running MK3 that you can upgrade to your spec level-whatever that is-and upgrading your MK2s Tires/Suspension while its sitting-Recent personal developments have pushed back my timetable-But I want Santa to bring me a Donor MK3 For Xmas-(Im also needin Addcos, Adjustable struts. 17" Wheels and tires,LJM Strut Bar,3" Stainless Exhaust, Lexus EFI, ETC. if youre out there SANTA)-Mike P :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm in the process of putting an 87/88 7m into my 82 also. I just bought an 88 mk3T to replacec my 87, which will become the donor car for the little stuff I still need. I am still in the process of the 7m rebuild. Waiting on the suprasport elbow so I can send stuff off to get coated. So far I have the longblock assembled.

I hope to be done by end of June.

Gonna strip the front end stuff off and paint the engine bay/front frame before putting the motor in. It's the only part of the car still black.

Goodies inside: stock reworked crank, cunningham forged rods, je 8.4:1 pistons-tbc and moly coated, arp head/main studs, dpr race prepped head w/ stock cams and valves with tbc and moly coat, hks 1mm stopper HG, all new moving parts; block, head, and all moving parts cryo-treated, blueprinted/balanced; aem cam gears; UR pulley; Fidanza flywheel; 60-1 ct26 turbo; suprasport elbow.

Christian

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm definately going 7mgte. After looking at Mike D's rwhp dyno #'s @ 301.7....... hell yeahhhh :evil:
Congrats Mike on your dayton achievement :)
Later

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well my engine is here. I pretty well have everything I need. I have a centerforce clutch. Hks downpipe,brullen exhaust, gready type s BOV ., Manual boost controler,the computer, harness and maf. The 6m will be comming out in the early new year. :)

The 6m is now up 4 sale. I pulled a 15.04 sec run with it this summer. Still pulling well.

Will an 85 oil pump and pick up fit the 7mgte engine?

Damn i'm getting excited
Mark

1 - 20 of 171 Posts