Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey why does no one use decomp plates and copper head gaskets??using copper gaskets would be loads better and probly cheaper than HKS MHG and also they dont break?and what about decomp plates,if you have a 82or a 84 supra and your doing a 5mgte convert why not run a 2mm decomp plate and that will take your 8.8 to a 7.8 or 9.2 to 8.2 could this allow running 12psi on your convert?im in australia and can get these for about $165 AU so surely they must be well priced in usa
replies please!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Copper head gasket? You do know these are extremely soft and require the block to be o-ringed, right? Way too much effort when you can get an HKS MHG that does not require any o-ringing and is going to be MORE reliable. Yeah, sure, you can get a copper head gasket for under $200AUS, but I'd imagine the price to o-ring a block is quite substantial. And if the o-ringing is stuffed up you can say goodbye to your block.

Yeah, running a decompression plate would enable higher boost, but at a loss of bottom end power. And I'm sure most of the folks don't want a drag-only car. And if they did they'd be running a 7m-gte and not a half-assed(no offense to any running 5m-gtes!) turbo setup. I run about 7.8:1 compression in my 7m-gte because of no machining(didn't need it) when I put my HKS 2mm MHG in, and it is borderline when offboost, particularly in 2nd. I'd hate to run this kinda compression with a 5m-g(t)e.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts