Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi CS,
I got tired of people telling me defrost vents are made of unobtainium.. So I decided to have them made... here are some pictures... I found someone can make them with 3D printer and they are very durable. I have prototypes in hand and needs more fine tuning to make it just right. If anyone is intersted, please let me know. If there are enough people in the pool, i can have them made in one shot. Please send me an email if intersted.. [email protected]

some details:
Material used ABS
Color: Black only...
Price: It will depend on how many people are intersted. I will find out once I have head count..

Any comments or suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pretty cool! This 3d printing thing is the next big technology in my opinion... it's going to revolutionize manufacturing... imagine all those Chinese factories going out of business because their products can now be "printed" by the end user themselves. Quality of 3d printing will improve and costs will come down making the devices affordable to everybody... instead of purchasing the actual part what we will do in the future is purchase the 3d printer file and just print the parts ourselves.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
depending on price im in for 1-5 sets.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I thought these were still available from Toyota in black only, for $12 each? Unless the rest of them sold out in the last few years. Also, I thought somebody else was having these made in white (picture of it in the "Pic of the Day" thread)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you kidding??? If they were available, I wouldn't go through this trouble. Believe me, I checked.

I thought these were still available from Toyota in black only, for $12 each? Unless the rest of them sold out in the last few years. Also, I thought somebody else was having these made in white (picture of it in the "Pic of the Day" thread)?

·
Registered
382 Posts
This form of 3d additive printing does not give a smooth surface unless sanded after production. It is also subject to damage due to delamination of layers during heat cycling.

I would recommend SLA printing instead, but the costs are not favorable. The vents I had made up were over $38 each unpainted.

Whiskers are possible as well for printing and would be flexible but UV degradation
Is a real issue unless painted or coated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Possibly interested, wonder how they take paint... (not flake off). Gotta get a TC spray bomb made up

·
Registered
116 Posts
for a smooth strong finish to the printed parts, just do bodywork on them with an ABS based filler/adhesive. you can make your own by dissolving ABS plastic in acetone. the solvents will bond the abs strands together more, and the added plastic will give you a smooth surface to sand out as desired

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These 3D printed vents are not perfect smooth. it looks like texture..

I'm going to try painting them.. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far 9 to 14 sets are counted for.. I need more to get the price down.
If only a small order, I wil have to go a small shop and it is for sure more costly. I would like to get to at least 50 sets or so. All the engineering work is done, cad drawings and prototypes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts