Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of steam cleaning for under carriages. I have an 84 Supra 5MGE I recently bought here in Canada. The car was stored most of its life and apparently never winter driven to my knowledge but the previous owner undercoated the crap out of it with oil spraying. The gunk is thick as hell. I realize it probably saved the car from rust but I don't intend on driving it in the winter anyways and wanted to clean it up underneath.

I've tried de-greaser the kind you spray on wait and hose down but it really doesn't touch it much. I've tried gunk another degreaser product with steal wool it works but I can't get into every nook and cranny. I don't know if oven cleaner would work but I'm afraid it could eat at rubber hoses or damage other things that arn't metal. I thought of having it steamed clean...I have heard of places that steam clean engine bays, not sure if they would do the whole car and how it would turn out.

If anyone has any better ideas or comments it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
697 Posts
What he said. And if it is really bad like mine was get under with a brush and brush away at it between blasts with the pressure washer. I put mine up on ramps also, it helps tremendously.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys..I will look for that product here in Canada...not sure I've seen it here but I'll order some online if I have to. Maybe I'm being a little too anal about cleaning off this caked on crud.....some people I've talked to about it tell me to leave it on that it does the car good and can't hurt it. I just hate looking underneath and seeing it like that.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A wire wheel on an Angle Grinder worked well for me. Then I used a normal wire brush for the places that the grinder would not reach. Wear thick clothing and some serious eye protection. You'll have little pieces or the wire brush stuck all over your clothes. It shortened the job alot. It is nasty though, but you have to expect that.

SIMPLE GREEN, SIMPLE GREEN and more SIMPLE GREEN

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I viewed your project and I'm blown away. That is truly amazing. I couldn't get over how much time and detail you put into every part.

Thanks for the tip...I had a feeling it will be a nasty job as you say.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have the engine out of my car right now and have been cleaning like mad. A lot of simple green and another degreaser I got from my last job called H-40 from our janitorial company (works great but don't know where else to get it) and a couple nylon brushes. Also started some areas by scrapping with a plastic bondo knife, which actually helped a lot. Some areas are hard to get to which I have contemplated getting a small steam cleaner... haven't yet.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I feel your pain. I spent over a week cleaning the underside of my car. I was lucky that there is a pit to stand in where I work. And a boss that would allow me to take the time off amd the space to do it. I used the Simple Green and a pressure washer and nylon brushes and scrapers. I also used a de-greaser from the NAPA autoparts store for tough spots and final clean-ups. It's part number is 6383 and is like $50 a gallon. I was lucky that there was only 45K worth of crud down there. But it was rather interesting to discover the production line inspection splashes of pink and yellow paint on the suspension parts. But anyway, good luck it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I can get "us" purple power and do both cars at the same time. Im in the same boat as you the original/previous owner rust checked the car in 1985, and it still stuck on there....I love when people made quality products. But My car is in need of a good underbody wash/de-grease/and re-rustcheck.

I'll pm you in the next couple days about how much purple power costs.. or we can use hull cleaner that is much stronger.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As a final clean-up, I've had good results using WD-40 and similar spray lubricants (PB Blaster has a couple). It leaves the black painted parts looking original & shiny. (Still need to cover any bare metal.) Since your undercarriage is mostly rust-free, you can avoid a wire-wheel followed by lots of repainting.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have found two things that work well. One is a strong mixture of hot water and laundry soap. Laundry soap (powdered) is also a cheap hand cleaner. The next may not be the safest thing to use but I found that Coleman camp fuel works well. It degreases and dries fast and dries clean but be very careful with it.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.