Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I remove the posi unit from a rear end and just swap it into my differential and be good to go, I know I have to use my old pinion gear but will everything be in specs since I didn't remove the pinion gear?? thanks.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Did you diff have LSD and it is worn out, or did it never have it? Also you have to use both the ring and pinion as a matched set, not just leave the pinion in there and swap out the whole center section.

If it did not have it originally then it will not just be a "swap and go" since you will have to set the ring gear backlash/preload (look at the TSRM).

Pretty much if you are swapping out the center peice and keeping the same ring and pinion, there will be work to do, but if you are just swapping out the LSD guts, it should just be a swap and go.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car has 4.10 lsd and died so want to take out the lsd from a 4.30 rear, don't want that ratio just want lsd back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
car has 4.10 lsd and died so want to take out the lsd from a 4.30 rear, don't want that ratio just want lsd back.
Since you will be swapping the LSD unit from one rear to another you will more than likely have to re-shim the carrier bearings to get the proper backlash AND bearing preload. If this is not done correctly it will ruin the ring and pinion gears in short order.

Spence Weir
Weir Performance Engineering
707-315-6638

1 - 4 of 4 Posts