Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
No, it doesn't hurt to have extra....but that extra will end up spewing out the breather and coating the underside of the car!! :D Ask me how I know...my mechanic put in a full two quarts!!...after I gave him the diff sheets from the TSRM!! Oh well....no harm done...just a bloody mess!!

Grant
lol, I meant extra on the shelf....lol

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The correct way to fill the pumpkin is to mount it on the car first. Make sure it is level. A rack is great for this. Remove the plug and fill until it starts to run out of the plug hole. Isnt that easy? B&M use to sell a really good LSD oil. I think Lucas sells something too.

·
Super Moderator
8,262 Posts
You can buy all the parts from Toyota to rebuild, but why would you. Much better to spend a little more and get a Truetrac

·
Super Moderator
8,262 Posts
Look 2 threads down for the truetrac install thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok I know this may sound stupid or uninformed but I have a few questions.

1. I get a really bad whine noise comming from the rear of the car, I'm in the process of changing out seals and bearings in the Diff but I have a nasty feeling I'm wrong about the bearings being bad. The seals I know were shot because the Diff leaked like a stuck pig.

2. Could the Inner Wheel Bearings be what is making my noise? If so how do I get to them considering the Chiltons book tells me nothing about getting to them or greasing them?

a P.M. or a reply on this thread would be a very big help.
I'm hoping to get this done by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok I know this may sound stupid or uninformed but I have a few questions.

1. I get a really bad whine noise comming from the rear of the car, I'm in the process of changing out seals and bearings in the Diff but I have a nasty feeling I'm wrong about the bearings being bad. The seals I know were shot because the Diff leaked like a stuck pig.

2. Could the Inner Wheel Bearings be what is making my noise? If so how do I get to them considering the Chiltons book tells me nothing about getting to them or greasing them?

a P.M. or a reply on this thread would be a very big help.
I'm hoping to get this done by the end of the weekend.

if the rear is whining it is likely the pinion bearing that is the culprit, its the big one thats pressed onto the pinion shaft. from the inside. you can try changing fluid and using a good synthetic, but if its bad it wont make a diff and it will stay.

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
what's the difference between the stock lsd and the true track lsd i'm new to this also and is this a truetrac http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cressida-Torsen-Helical-LSD-from-Japan_W0QQitemZ200181459933QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and is that a good price?also i need to rebuild mine need to know were i can buy all the internals of the diff the good stuff so it wont break or sound as it does now.
That LSD is not going to fit into your diff. Try searching for the ring gear size of both the car you own and the car that diff goes in.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
what's the difference between the stock lsd and the true track lsd i'm new to this also and is this a truetrac http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cressida-Torsen-Helical-LSD-from-Japan_W0QQitemZ200181459933QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33731QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and is that a good price?also i need to rebuild mine need to know were i can buy all the internals of the diff the good stuff so it wont break or sound as it does now.
Yeah, that's an 8", our diffs are 7.5".

If you're interested, I have a stock LSD in great condition for $100 shipped :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah i will buy it $100 shipped to AUS ha ha... got told i cant get a replacement toyota lsd in aus and have to go after market or from a wrecker. Oh well been looking at upgrading for a while thinking KAAZ or Trutrack? Just a pitty its broken and have no cash to fix it yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a quick question:
I've got a grinding noise in the rear end of my car,it doesn't make the noise when the car is on jacks and running in gear.It only does it with the weight on the wheels while driving and I just had the rear wheel bearings replace today,any ideas?Also,this one is posi.

Thanks,Steve

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Steve, I suggest that you start a new thread for your inquiry.
I guess it still grinds after the bearing removal ?
If the car sits on ground, and you just push it, does it grinds too ?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts